Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Bowensby23

Bowensby23 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    A walnut and maple blank I just glued up

ForumRunner_20111204_133858.jpg

And this just came off the bench a couple days ago

ForumRunner_20111204_134023.jpg

2. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sweet! Just got one of those home a few days ago, and a Grizzly bandsaw and router table are on their way :)

3. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    Nice, please post your review on the Grizzly bandsaw, I've been circling one of those for a while now....;)

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Good job Scooter ......... welcome to Team Orange. You too jstream.

5. LC100

LC100 Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2010
    florida
    Got the top and back caps cut (oversize) and the interior milling done on both today. The maple back piece is almost too nice to be used on a back. But it is what it is.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

6. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2006
    Maryland
    Today it is my new $60 coil winder. Just in time for a couple of odd pickups and an OT or few

7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    Madbean Rocks:twisted:

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Kinda funny you should ask

Until recently all I had was my 24" scale Tele I'm about to start posting on again. I've spent most of the summer doing repairs for relatives I wish I hadn't told about the 2011 Build Challenge :eek:, that is until yesterday. I was making my rounds through my favorite pawnshop when I saw this old Ibanez hardshell case, you know the good ones with cinch down latches that lock. I'd been needing a good case and made my way over. From a distance I saw the 55$ price tag and thought I'd offer them 50$. When I got there, the case was occupied. There was what appeared to be a homebuilt guitar that really intrigued me. It looked sorta Les Paulish, except the body was fatter in the hips and was only 1 1/4" thick. It had a maple neck (24 fret no less) and someone had chosen MOP fretmarkers (geez, like you can't see them on maple :lol:). And what I had first taken for a pine body, was indeed maple as well, with a decal on the headstock proudly saying, "MINE". :lol: well that put it in perspective. Needless to say the case, guitar and all left with me ($61.17......with tax ;))
    When I got home I cleaned for awhile seeing the rusty strings and these two unmarked humbuckers. It seemed the switch had been moved to the pickguard and there was a small knob where it used to be that turned forever and was loose. After removing the rear cover (all of two mismatch screws) I saw the mess.There had once been a preamp, battery and what seemed to an EQ/Tone setting or phase switch.Someone had once taken great pains with this.It was equally obvious some second owner hadn't. Well ,except for the battery box and clip, it was all gone. The volume pot looked as if it's been replaced with an amp pot, and the old volume pot stuck in the hole they'd moved the switch from just to fill the hole. And the solder job looked horrible.
    I took some old parts I had and put it back like a standard guitar, kinda eager to see what these humbuckers sounded like. Even with the rusty strings, this thing had zip. Sorry I didn't take any before pics. Just the subject of pics and what google has done to their fine hosting I used to enjoy :mad:. I will have to attach these for the time being. Here's kinda where I am now and what it looks like

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

[​IMG]

Real ones were neck thru, no bolties.

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    L6-S Midnight Special 1974–79

The least known version with total production of around 2000 instruments Maple body, and bolt-on maple neck with a maple fingerboard. Controls include a pickup selector, master volume, and tone control. Strung through the body.This guitar is a Les Paul Special Edition.

12. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Along the way I found some improvements. Originally there had been some cheap sort of tuners that had been replaced (almost decently) with Grover minis, but one of those has since been replaced. The fretwear was horrid, but it turned into the quickest level and crown I've ever done. The original builder seemed to know his business. The neck is quite narrow (yet comfortable) and it seems the 2nd guy tried with limited success to reshape the transition to the peghead. It has a cheaper dual acting trussrod that does work (miracle of miracles). The entire neck leans back at a comfortable 2 1/2 degrees, the action isn't half bad. Well, I restringed it post haste after the crowning and had to do very little intonation. Boy do those no name hummies sound nice :). I'll probably replace the electronics with new stuff at some point, and probably the tuners which are quite worn. Oh yes, a tote board, I was gonna offer 50$ for the case, for 5 extra bucks here is what I got:: a guitar, 2 new sets of martin acoustic phosphor bronze strings (tell me and we'll both know), an almost new 10' molded cord with a 90 degree fitting (just what this guit-fiddle needs). For 5$ more in new strings (plus having to drill out the front strap button where dufus moved it to the back like an SG and stripped the head in the process) I have a new/old guitar that plays better than I do :D. It's been a strange year,

Dave

Attached Files:

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Ah...the dreaded luthiers joint.....

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'm thinking the peghead was altered.

15. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Well, the neckplate (which has the only writing on the whole guitar) says "Made in Japan", so I guess I won't have the heart attack thinking I bought a rare Gibson for 5$. But even at that, I kinda like it :lol:

16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You should check out the humbucker bottoms and see what they look like.

17. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Yes, it has been. One of the old tuner screw holes was cut into in the process

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Nothing can beat my friend Pete who walked into a GoodWill about 20 years ago and bought a prewar gibson jumbo for 10 dollars. Same guy a couple years later got a Martin D-18 there for 25 dollars or so. I'm lucky to find a stella at those places.

19. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Learn sumthin new every day!:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.