Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    ...seems a little harsh, Creekrat....

richa, nickhofen, Barncaster and 7 others like this.

2. Lostininverness

Lostininverness TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Christchurch, NZ
    Hi Dave,

How do you rate the New Guinea rosewood compared to the indian/"normal" rosewood used for guitars? I've read somewhere that it has a lower density therefore may not be as good for fret boards etc.? What are your thoughts, as I can get NG rosewood in NZ and not have to deal with the CITES issues.

Grant

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Greetings fellow Kiwi.

Care to share where you're getting this NG Rosewood from? I've been struggling with ideas for FB material. I picked up a few pieces of Vitex awhile back which seems a very hard wood, so was planning on trying that for a couple of neck/FB projects.

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I saw what you did there...good one.

Meteorman and creekrat like this.

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Haa haa haa haa haa. The look on the postman’s face must have been priceless!

nickhofen and Mat UK like this.

6. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada
    Today was new bass string day. Over the holidays I traded my Dot for a Yamaha TRBX304 bass with unknown strings on it. I wasn't really enjoying playing but the strings were a heavier gauge than my P-bass. Some new medium light GHS Bass Boomers, fret polish, and fretboard oil and I am feeling the love now.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wait until you prise that package off the mailbox and 3 of the postman’s fingers fall out!:eek:

Mat UK likes this.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Perhaps she prefers staying with the “girls”.

Meteorman likes this.

9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia

10. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia

Don't know what happened above ???? My reply just didn't take. Re the rosewood .........don't think I've ever used rosewood of the non New Guinea type, but have used the NGRW for fret boards and found it good. I do prefer the old red-gum to just about anything else though, if you can lay your hands on some really old and dry R.G. it is superb I.M.H.O.

DC

11. creekrat

creekrat TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Grove, OK
    Strap button on the bottom of the thunderbird pulled out. Found out that the screws were already the longer ones for strap locks but fortunately I had already bought the oak dowel. Drilled out the hole to where the dowel was a pretty snug fit and then glued and tapped it in. Will trim off tomorrow with the dremel and then drill a pilot hole for the new screw. The button is large enough to completely cover the dowel.

852B3CF2-20E6-47A2-BEF6-E2EF17069F44.jpeg 104E91AB-2A84-493B-B408-70DFB7BD493E.jpeg

Zepfan likes this.

12. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Andersonville, TN
    Using up some Lutz spruce brace wood stock I don't use for acoustics anymore (I use Red Spruce exclusivily) Shooting the edge pre glue. Made a nice body blank. Swamp Ash blank from my lumber yard score. Spalted Curly Maple with worm holes drop tops, I see some chambering and F-hole's in the future
    5021-jpg.jpg 5022-jpg.jpg 5023-jpg.jpg 5024-jpg.jpg 5014-jpg.jpg 5015-jpg.jpg 5016-jpg.jpg 5017-jpg.jpg 5018-jpg.jpg

13. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Nut roughed in; tuners on; strung up; plugged in and live.

Feeling good about this one - I’ll do a proper setup in a day or two after it’s had time to settle into its new 6 strings. (Oh yeah, it also needs a string tree...)

07B28F3F-0964-463B-B37F-FCF412777BBF.jpeg

466E6D1F-8D83-4919-98F6-CE590B30FED0.jpeg

mPacT, metecem, sergiomajluf and 18 others like this.

14. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That is one black guitar! :D

Looking good!

Mat UK likes this.

15. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha yeah, it sure is, thanks. The words in mind for this build were 'Mono' and 'Silhouette'...

16. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia

And some black fret markers Mat! :lol:

Mat UK likes this.

17. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Mat UK,
    Love the build. Very visually striking. It needs a coat of Vantablack to be just perfect...
    Are those the controls on top of the body? if so, I need MOAR PICS!!!

Mat UK likes this.

18. Pullshocks

Pullshocks TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I really go for the blacked out look and that one knocked me out so much that it took me a minute or 2 to notice there are no knobs on that guitar...

Mat UK likes this.

19. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I had been debating doing a black headstock recently, and I think you just sold me. Love the ebony or whatever that fretboard is too. Super cool tele.

sergiomajluf and Mat UK like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.