Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I like it. From the photos, it looks smooth, just textured. Or is that contradictory? What I mean is it doesn't look rough, but the surface is not flat.

My parents' home exterior was faced with salvaged bricks from demolished buildings in Chicago, apparently that was was a thing in the early 60's. Some of them had colors on them, suggesting they had been part of a big sign painted on the side of the building, think something like a bit Coca-Cola logo on the side of a building. Would that--a little splash of color across one surface of the pen barrel, perhaps suggest the same thing--maybe an old circus sign painted on the barn sign? Mmmm, maybe not. Might just look like you spilled paint on your wood supply. Just a thought.

RogerC likes this.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Don't look now but I think you got carpenter bees, Rog!
    IMG_3547.JPG

dr_tom and RogerC like this.

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Yeah, I totally get what you're saying, and even though it seems contradictory, it is. I shall dub this my Oxymoron Finish :D.

One thing I'm going to experiment with is after digging out the soft grain, wiping on a coat of red paint to just hit the elevated hard grain. That should make it look exactly as it did when it was on the barn wall.

4. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA
    [​IMG]

Looking good Roger. I live in a house with cedar shingles. If only I could train all the dang carpenter bees to do my routing and drilling, instead of eating my house hahah!

RogerC likes this.

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Am I the only person who thinks this looks edible?

devrock likes this.

6. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Andersonville, TN
    Scored some nice Swamp Ash, had my best help with me. Curly Redwood drop top
    5006-jpg.jpg 5007-jpg.jpg 5011-jpg.jpg 5012-jpg.jpg 4993-jpg.jpg

7. What's on my workbench? This was the temp at my place this morning. Nothing on my workbench for over a week at these temps because it would cost me a fortune to heat my shop warm enough to work in. Heat runs to keep it at 45 degrees so the pipes don't freeze!

1515283517813.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Barncaster likes this.

8. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Re-cab’d my Fender Champ clone, similar to my recently finished Supro.
    Reclaimed chestnut.
    Waitin on the new handle.
    IMG_2490.JPG
    IMG_2489.JPG

richa, Blue Bill, Jackadder and 14 others like this.

9. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well, let's see. I've got a body with the first coats of sealer on it:

[​IMG]

And some African Blackwood O ring knobs:

[​IMG]

And I added some stainless steel bling to the neck:

[​IMG]

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Clinchriver likes this.

11. nervous

nervous Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2016
    Beautiful Central NY
    I am in endless awe of some of the work I see here and this one along with some marathon reading through some Ron Kirn and Buckocaster51 threads they inspired me to take on a couple things I wouldn't have done not so long ago. Part two of this weekends projects was the real motivating driver but I thought that I'd warm up with something a bit tame, and lower risk to get familiar with some new tools and processes. And, man, what a different good and correct tools make. I really wanted to install a battery box into my Lakland DJ5. Easy enough, right? First grade guitar gut stuff. Well, I did one a few years ago, a but freehand with my full size Craftsman router with a home made template and while I got it in it was ug-lee! Not very proud of that job. That router and I never made friends and I was just not comfortable with it. So I picked up a Bosch Colt last week, some proper Stew Mac templates and bits and planned my attack. Yesterday was battery box day. Chose my location, Masked the area, 3M double sided tape for the template remove as much material as I can with a Forstner bit on the drill press, then onto the actual routing and cleanup. Take a breath, and get to it. That new bit was everything! I was amazed how easy, quickly and cleanly it cut. A perfect hole, done in no time with no finish damage.Thrilled.

I had done some research on routing into a finished body to prevent finish damage and chipping. The most common choice was to score the finish with an x-acto knife around the perimeter. Which I did, but I had this nagging idea to try. Using a Dremel and a ball cutting bit I actually cleared through the finish to bare wood. It was very easy to control and did what it was supposed to do. The only thing I didn't think fully through was drilling the connecting hole for the wire. It was a bit tricky from where I chose to place the box. Got it done but came VERY close to a topside finish disaster when drilling though. About 1/8" from some bad times.

This was that:
    IMG_9999.jpg

And my finished work.
    IMG_0026.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    fidopunk and callasabra like this.

12. nervous

nervous Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2016
    Beautiful Central NY
    So, hot on the heels of my battery box installation success it was time to get serious about the real project I wanted to execute. A few weeks ago I fell in love with this beautiful Hamer Newport with triple TV Jones pickups. So much so that it was offered to me to purchase. But I just couldn't bring myself to that at the price it was offered. Oh well. But that sparked the inspiration to make some modifications to my Gibson Midtown as an homage to that guitar. My plan was to add a third pickup to that guitar and load it up with the three TV Jones pickups. It's a great looking and playing guitar already and I love my Tele Cabronita sound so that part of it was easy. It would also make it a unique, possibly a one of a kind, guitar. And I love a challenge. But, cutting into it for a new, third pickup was the hurdle. Today was the day I went for it. Taking as long as needed to insure as exact a placement as I could was the priority. The rest ended up amazingly easy. I am a realist, and I know mine doesn't come close to the Hamer in wow-factor but in person I have to say it looks pretty nifty. And of course the third pickup is needless overkill but I am sure it'll sound great just the same. All good fun for me.

And here's how it went...

The Hamer Classictron muse:
    IMG_0498sml.jpg

The "Before":
    IMG_0005.jpg

The plan:
    IMG_0007.jpg

The execution:
    IMG_0010.jpg

The new hole:
    IMG_0017.jpg

And the "After":
    IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Duggo, darkforce, SamIV and 9 others like this.

13. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Everett, WA
    Looks fun! Would be a fun project on one of the GFS factory second 335 style bodies they're selling for around $100 right now...

bender66 likes this.

14. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    prepping for an Explorer build...ordered up some white Limba for the body and neck...will get an ebony fingerboard and head cap...plan is to go with natural finish...about the only big deviation will be a PRS style set-neck joint...been wanting to do an Explorer build for years...cant wait to make sawdust!
    26167450_1995443900735555_8768315339592869890_n.jpg

15. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    So my little adventure into gold leafing is pretty close to done. The idea started as a sort of joke on a relic, with gold leaf as a base coat. The front ended up almost reminding me more of a dog’s brindle coat than a realistic relic, but I think I like it for now. The back came out a little better, more restrained, I think. Just need to find a better plate than the esp one I found, but it’s an odd shape. The gold pops like crazy in person, but is hard to capture on an iPhone. Plays like a dream, and I t’s so light!
    60B06B46-0A09-4811-BFA4-CB3F1D74F773.jpeg
    ADBC3559-A12D-4CB8-BB91-8DC09FED08E3.jpeg
    29B1433D-3330-4A15-BA2F-F7DDE8E8393D.jpeg
    B51B35D8-D95A-4499-8CB6-7C45CA2D390F.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    darkforce, Mat UK and TreblaNitram like this.

16. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    First time inlaying a fretboard. IMG_7573.JPG

richa, eallen, sergiomajluf and 5 others like this.

17. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Looks great! What do you have in mind for the 12th fret?

DC

18. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    The Transtint experiment was a success. 3 coats of Tru oil here.
    image.jpg

richa, DrASATele, darkforce and 2 others like this.

19. creekrat

creekrat TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Grove, OK
    FCC5FD2F-2241-4711-BA40-5B9C86F782CC.jpeg Chicken coop for the wife. We’ll be getting about 30 laying hens because the wife didn’t realize how many eggs they will produce. The 24 or so eggs a day will be WAY more than enough for our family of 4, our church small group and then some. Will probably donate the rest to the Christian help center here in town. Our county is pretty weird. We live in the highest income city per capita in the state but the lowest income county per capita in the state.

20. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Some times I find some treasures at my local Home Depot...I found a 1x10 with some birdseye in it a couple of weeks ago...it was enough to get two tops out of...then yesterday I found a pine 2x6 with some birdseye in it too...plus it had a funky gray look to it...was enough to get two body blanks out of. So here is one of the bodies I have made from the stuff...think i am going to go tru-oil for finish...haven't decided which way I am going for pickups...thinking a single filtertron in the bridge and a volume knob...
    26195566_1995996537346958_4415156286633057946_n.jpg 26219906_1995996544013624_1074481791569557371_n.jpg 26733886_1995996560680289_8953003873829051744_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    eallen, Jake Nelson, bender66 and 3 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.