Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    It's pretty simple: two gussetted brackets with. Drawer slides between them. I made the donuts out of pine, and I'll probably make taller ones to help better clear the bass. Here are picks as is, and the build documentation starts halfway down in this build thread:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/here-comes-another-one-or-two.650038/

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1072.JPG

Excuse the mess, I'm in get it done mode, trying to ride the momentum I have right now.

I had to cut the corners off the base as it was contacting the guitar body in the deeper recesses. It's a little junky looking but fully functional.

nickhofen likes this.

2. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Duluth, MN
    IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0150.JPG
    scrape, scrape, scrape... on the maple jazzmaster

3. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Andersonville, TN
    IMG_3852.JPG I'll have to catch up my build thread on this one, reclaimed barn wood curly redwood. I've been covered up with fretwork and repairs
    IMG_3689.JPG

nickhofen, metecem, kkphoto and 7 others like this.

4. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    A new magnet charger. Works great! IMG_7623.JPG

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Look at you!

mPacT likes this.

6. creekrat

creekrat TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Louisiana
    This tele that I traded a buddy for. Someone sprayed what appears to be a laquer over the entire neck, frets fingerboard and all and it was very poorly done. Sanded the maple down to an 800 grit and cleaned up the frets with 0000 steel wool before using a razor blade as a scraper to clean up the rosewood. Then scuffed the rosewood and sanded to a 2000 before giving the maple a TO finish of 10 coats straight TO and then another 4 coats of TO 50/50 with some mineral spirits. Got a light buffing with steel wool every few coats and a final buff after sitting for 24hrs. The buddy I got it from doesn’t like rosewood fingerboard but he was very tempted to want it back after feeling the change in how the neck feels now

Attached Files:

Barncaster and Macrogats like this.

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Man I have 10 feet of 4 inch by 1 inch curly redwood that matches this pretty exactly.

if I had a top like that I would definitely scallop a fretboard and epoxy coat it to make it match.

I'll trade ya 2 fret boards worth for a top!

8. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_6385.JPG

Glued the bridge on this ukulele yesterday. Really came out nice. Good shot of the Big Leaf sides, Wenge side support & mahogany kerfing through the soundhole. Gabon Ebony bridge. Gabon & Macassar Ebony rosette.

bender66 and ndeli55 like this.

9. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Lots of tape for the binding channel. My poison of choice? 3m 233. And good ol' acetone.

IMG_1075.JPG

John Nicholas likes this.

11. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I've some clean up and touch up to perform, but I thinks it's going in the right direction IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG

Telemarx, bender66, nickhofen and 4 others like this.

12. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I did my first full set up on a Uke last week... for a teachers aide at school....

lowered the action both ends and gave it some finish oil.... came up ok....

had to search online for some specs, tuning and some chords to test it out....;)

DSCN1265.JPG

DSCN1266.JPG

Barncaster likes this.

13. frankencat

frankencat Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I'm building myself a T style and I had some deer antler around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I call it the Flinstone T :)
    -Frank

14. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Very original knobbery Frankencat!!! I like it!

DC :cool:

frankencat likes this.

15. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok, technically neither a guitar or workbench in sight but I am embarking on a furniture side project - that someone might be interested in?. I've had these sixties Danish dining chairs (and table) in Oak (four sidechairs and two carvers - HW Klein for Bramin) for about 20 years and I've decided they need some attention. These originally also came in a woven paper cord version which looks stunning - so time to learn some new skills and convert them. At this stage it is just the old skills/least favourite activity of sanding:(. Have got myself some L nails to weave the paper cord around and will shortly order the paper cord itself.

Anyway just going to do one at a time - here's the first one partially stripped back, and what they should look like when finished.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's quite a lot of work - it would have been so easy to just re-upholster:eek:

RogerC and callasabra like this.

16. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had this mustang style body for a while, I thought I might use it for a Bass project. The body is nearly the same shape as a P Bass,,,, though the neck pocket area is the width of a tele /strat neck....

when I line this bass neck up on the centre join it overlaps the pocket.... mmm?....

what would you do here?.... go cut out and shape a new body, fashion a thin strip to glue on that edge and reshape a bit, or just rout this one off centre....:rolleyes:

I suppose I can paint it and no one will know where the joins were...?...:lol:

tele bass 3.jpg

tele bass 1.jpg

tele bass 2.jpg

17. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    So much great work, hats off to everyone having a dip........

Just received a care package from USA.

Roasted alder blank T-styling:

roasty.jpg

The roasted quarter-sawn maple neck blank, with West Australian jam wood fretboard, is already Strat-bound:

maple.jpg maple2.jpg

18. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Andersonville, TN
    Thanks for the offer, I've had the wood for a while not sure where I got it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.