Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you too much. I saw some similar designs online and thought they looked classy so I put my spin on it.

Right on Rob!!! Really stoked and looking forward to the event. We must have another Tone Summit before hand tough! Hit me up...

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

Finished sanding back on some dye. 1512257147440.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand

4. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    working on something sparkly...I almost left it silver...but the blue just adds a nice contrast. I just finished spraying the flake...once I start spraying the clear, I think this thing is going to pop! It will be getting a one piece birdseye maple neck...for pickups, I wound up a set with clear lexan bobbins...it will also get one of my machined hardtail bridges...man I love doing this stuff!
    B Bell 2.jpg B Bell.jpg

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I'm a glutton for punishment, so of course I've got several projects going on right now...

Turning some pens for the folks that ordered during my Black Friday special

[​IMG]

I have the JM with birdseye maple neck for the NTB charity event in April.

[​IMG]

And I also started another guitar for a client. This guy ordered the guitar earlier this year and paid in full. He's buying it for his best man as a gift. It'll be a mahogany bodied thinline with a walnut top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    A few years ago I threw together a kind of tele/dano hybrid which has since been my favourite couch guitar. A few things did annoy me about it though - I didn't like the tape on the sides for one. A friend of mine who recently had a significant birthday really liked the guitar too so I decided I'd give it a bit of a makeover and make it a present to him. I'll give it to him this week. I wish some of my workmanship was better but in the spirit of a cheap and quickly made guitar wanting to be a classy guitar - here it is. The off white sides and back was inspired by Yanuziello's fantastic guitars - and I got a bit creative with the binding. Cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

nickhofen, kkphoto, eallen and 22 others like this.

7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    That is one classy looking guitar. You should be very proud of it and your friend will be blown away by your generosity.

DC

nosmo and ModerneGuy like this.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Fantastic - what a cool variation! Favorite couch guitar indeed - how does it sound unplugged?
    Rex

9. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Just off the bench...1 piece mahogany body, Z-poxy as pore filler, 2K urethane clear, Seymour Duncan Hot rodded humbucker set, 5 way super switch, 1 vol, 1 tone, Gotoh trem system, temporary Mighty Mite neck until I build a replacement.
    IMG_0552.jpg

10. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    It's on my workbench, but I can't do a thing to it while the lacquer cures. Ten to fourteen days of patience testing.

[​IMG]

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Is that purple heart? Looks awesome.

alathIN likes this.

12. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    It's a cherry top on an ash back. I used aniline dye to enhance the color. It started out really intense (like in the avatar). By the time I had it all prepped and started shooting lacquer on it, it has turned a bit less intense; a little bit closer to a naturally occuring color. It is kind of weird in that the color looks very different at different angles; no two pictures of it look the same.

It does have some pretty cool figure - very subtle and only noticeable on a closeup look.

Thanks for your feedback. This is my first build and I am super excited.

[​IMG]

13. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    THAT absolutely rocks dude! Fantastic job and a great looking guitar! How's she sound?

This one is looking good too! Can't wait to see the end product.

alathIN likes this.

14. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks!

It's testing my patience too ;)

15. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    That looks awesome. How does it sound acoustically (ie not plugged in?)
    I'd be interested to have an electric/acoustic that I could mix the acoustic and electric sounds kind of like you mix two different pickups on a regular guitar.

Is there a source for these bodies in the "sweet spot" for cost vs. quality? I can't spend a jillion $ on a project like this but I'd love to experiemnt in this direction.

16. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This one here is an acoustic/electric. Body is only 45mm thick - 6mm back and 3mm top. Neck pup is one of those acoustic ones, and bridge is standard Tele type. I haven't blended them together yet - wired separately - cos I'm not happy with the bridge pup. Either need to tweak or replace it, then I'll try them together to see what sounds I get.

Body is a total homemade job, pine frame with veneer ply front and back.

IMG_0223.JPG

And here's another one I'm working on. Original plan is/was for totally acoustic, but I'm changing my mind about that. Might just go straight hollowbody electric a-la Danelectro - which incidentally I've already made one of - DC model. Ply frame with Masonite (hardboard) top and back. It's in pieces atm, awaiting final spraying and lipstick pup installation.

IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG

Barncaster, TigerG and Duggo like this.

17. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for your interest and compliments (Dave too). Sound? I should post a video shouldn't I? I'll see what I can do this evening. But in the meanwhile the construction is pretty much that of an extreme thinline tele. The back and side are made of some kind of pine - reclaimed from shelving from an old wardrobe - the back was thinned downed to about 5mm while the sides have a rim of about 1cm apart from additional timber in the neck pocket. There is a block between front a back under the bridge, and the top is Tasmanian Oak (not an oak) again about 5mm thick. Neck is Tasmanian Oak/Indian Rosewood. If/when I make another I'll try it with a floating bridge and perhaps a thinner top with bracing to make it sound a bit more like an acoustic...just to try something different.

As it stands it doesn't quite sound like a thinline - it is a bit louder and the tone is more "airy" but perhaps because of the solid timber it doesn't quite have that slightly compressed sound that I associate with Masonite bodied Dano's. Electrically ...another can of worms. It sounds a bit like a Dano, but either because of the guitar's construction or the placement of the pickup (or both) there is a clarity that comes through, - sounds good with a bit of dirt ...but not too much. Trying to describe sounds with words huh.... I'll give up there.

anyway, thanks again for the interest.

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I routed the binding channels tonight. I decided I'd just go for double bound. Had to
    Adjust my jig, but in the end I'm happy.
    IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1070.JPG

tewiq, Barncaster, Macrogats and 2 others like this.

19. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Nice binding channels. What’s your jig?

20. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'll try to get a picture if it today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.