Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    That’s a pretty damn good inlay. CA will be lighter, but everything darkens on maple, so don’t frustrate yourself too much

darkforce likes this.

2. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Two projects in the works! First, bending sides for my first acoustic (actually resending after I had some spring back from hand bending) - worked like a charm!
    BDEF3576-D936-4BEB-B4AC-8909F69014F2.jpeg
    AE994CBB-ACC3-428E-8DB9-BB3924FC9669.jpeg

On the electric side, I’ve been gilding a base coat for a relic I’m planning... never gild. Such a tedious project for a whole body, especially if you want smooth perfection. But it does GLOW in the light... Could still come out wicked cool if I finish it right. There are some automotive paints that seem like they would have given a similar look with less hassle.

E429DAC3-7AF7-4C64-9E9F-F7171F1DA80E.jpeg

3. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    No guitar today, but at least I cut some wood. Leftover plywood from the flying saucer got turned into pieces for soccer rebounders. No point in pictures. I cut 4 2' X 4' rectangles, then split 2 of them along the diagonals and chopped 6" off the points.

Now to make the brackets to join it together. Fortunately, I have punches and a stomp shear. And scrap.

4. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Cherry and walnut necks (yep, walnut tuner holes :oops:):

IMG_8288.jpg
    And Hafco finally had a sale, you beauty!!!! That big chunk of cherry is for it tomorrow......

IMG_8315.jpg

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I think Pine is on the up again. Nothing wrong with that. Looks good mux164!

I found a pine/fir beam in the attic of my garage 2 years ago when we moved in. I made 2 blanks from it.
    IMG_4904.JPG IMG_4906.JPG
    IMG_4913.JPG
    I got a lot done this weekend.
    IMG_4916.JPG

The strat even got a tummy tuck. Can't wait to finish this one.

nickhofen, fenderchamp, Deneb and 7 others like this.

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you all so much! Just wait until I bust out the lace!!!

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Lace? I don't think you'd look good in lace Mark...

8. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Going with a clear finish...no additives...no worn/aged/relic'ing funny business...in this pic, it is on its second coat of sander sealer...will be laying down some clear coats tomorrow.

the neck is gettin a tru-oil finish.

Rickenatural.jpg

9. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Let’s see it ...:D

nickhofen, Mark Grant and Barncaster like this.

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Subbed for the scenery

Mark Grant and Barncaster like this.

11. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Finished the DPPBASS.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Action is too high, I guess I need to shim the neck, what is a good material and is there a scientific way to determine the thickness?

Zepfan, darkforce and I_build_my_own like this.

12. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Whatever it is the bookmatch was an added bonus.

Most of my builds are pine except for necks and the odd top

DrASATele likes this.

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Business card or cereal box should do. The scientific way is trial and error. Are the saddles all the way down? If so maybe something a little thicker or double up. Last time I did it I used thin corrugated cardboard that compressed when I tightened the neck and it proved to be just right. You want it in between the 2 front/heel side screws.

14. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2016
    Germany
    The angle should be chosen such, that a straight edge on the frets would just meet the top of the saddles (all the way down obviously). But if your action is too high already, increasing the neck angle would only make it worse, unless you would go for a forward angle, as I understand is done on some flamenco style guitars.

Is the neck at the moment at a zero angle? You could make the neck pocket a bit deeper or try reshaping the heel of the neck.

15. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Unexpected bookmatch
    Back glued on one of the teles

Tomorrow I will get the other back on and hopefully get the underside of the top levelled off at least IMG_7993.JPG IMG_7994.JPG

16. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I guess I'm not the only one with a silhouette of a guitar body on the floor, a white silhouette :eek::D:cool: ... kinda looks like a crime scene!

17. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Haha. Should have seen it before I had bodies hanging everywhere. That side of my shed has glue drip and spray outlines all over the floor

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    DrASATele likes this.

18. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    My old house the basement mud room has, let's say relics of another life. Between finishes, glues and solvents They'll need a few gallons of paint to make it pretty again and it was a small space, I think the door way got the most colorful!

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Well at least someone managed to finish their DPP guitar. Looks good, that's the only shade of Pink I can stand to look at.

20. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Mine is actually the rustoleum glitter pink but its pretty darn close.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.