Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_5642.JPG IMG_4637.JPG

Slapadabass5 got a full cavity routing & inspection today. Routed with a 1/2" pin and bit. Came back with a 3/16" pin & bit for the tight corners of these pickups. Then the obligatory mock-up. Boom.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017

2. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    IMG_0995.GIF
    That is looking great. Love the fat pole music man humbucker.

Mark Grant likes this.

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you! Over this next week I'll get all the woodworking finished up. Can't wait to plug it in. The buyer is a nearly lifelong friend of mine. He has gone on to be a Union musician in the Bay Area playing huge really expensive stand up basses in the orchestra, teaching the yutes & playing electric bass out late nights in jazz combos. I'm really stoked to be coordinating our efforts on this Slapadabass5. I've been drawing inspiration from vintage instruments as well as incorporating contemporary ideas. This is where I loose it. I. Just. Want. To. Plug. It. In. Is. That. Asking. Too. Much!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahaha

John Nicholas and ndeli55 like this.

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Just got this together. I put the bridge pickup controls in the not traditional place, whoops. I'm going to play it a while and see if I can live with it. IMG_0996.JPG
    I'm out of strings, so I can't give her a play. I'll have to get some 11s in the morning. At some point I'll cut a new nut for the young lady.

5. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Another wandoo floorboard from the pile, and some cherry; need a neck for a strat rebuild.

IMG_8239.jpg
    IMG_8243.jpg

Allen Tru '62 set on the way so better get cracking....

6. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Australia - where literally everything will try to kill you, but they have some really cool wood...

7. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    WOW!! That is beautiful!!

Hidden fret slots are what I've been trying to get for quite some time. It's one of the biggest reasons I want to get a CNC!!

That wood is gorgeous!!

DrASATele likes this.

8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Hey Jack is the white gum in plentiful supply? I though it would be hard to come by due to the fact it only grown in a small area. What sort of money can you get it for? Going to look brilliant mate!

DC

9. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Always check for redbacks!

redback.jpg

DrASATele and Zepfan like this.

10. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Old floorboards mostly, Dave. This is from a small stack I bought for $50. Also have an old beam here from a demolition, 30+ boards worth that also only cost a pineapple....:oops:...yeah, I felt bad....

That piece is out of the ordinary, these are more typical:

IMG_7955.jpg IMG_8244.jpg

Still pretty cool.

11. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    Its been a while since I have posted here. I have been VERY busy. I will sumerize a little bit first :)

I had to fight a bit to be able to continue with my carpeter school - due to an infection in May. I ended up moving into a new house with a HUGE workshop :). The new school is also a LOT better than the old one. Much more hands on. I just finished building a tool box with 10 dove tail joints on each corner - all hand made. I am overall happy with the result - even though my eagle eye can always find issues :)

This last week it have been a holiday in Denmark. I had the chance to go up for a week of learning how to do carvings. Last time I did anything close to this was in 8th grade - and I only did it once. So this was a brand new experience for me. The wood is elm tree and yes its full of worm holes. Its also why it only got 1 layer of oil so far, because I will put CA glue into the wood to stabilize it a bit the critical places.

The sign is going to be put on outside my house. I hope you like it.

IMAG1899.jpg IMAG1901.jpg IMAG1903.jpg IMAG1905.jpg Sprin Rain Music Sign.jpg

12. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Yeah, no kidding. Years ago, I knew a Corporal from the Q Stores who went to Oz as part of a trans-national Ex. There was a load of jokes before they went about redbacks hiding under loo seats. Guess who had to be invalided back home after a redback bit him on the arse at a crucial moment? There was a reason he was known as 'Forrest' - and that was before he went!

Deneb and Jackadder like this.

13. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Here's my whack at some cleaner wiring. I'm happy enough with it. Effectively jazzbass wiring with a blower switch for the bridge pickup. It's going in the pink guitar I'm building and will work with dimarzio PAFs IMG_0997.JPG

R. Stratenstein and Barncaster like this.

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    IMG_0998.JPG Some wet sanding too

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017

15. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Phwew, I was sweatin' that. Dropped right in. IMG_0999.JPG
    I lost my ground bridge somehow. That really stinks, as I've no idea how I'll fix that issue. I guess a slide hammer on the stud and do it over, but that sounds like a nightmare.

Deneb and Mbechmann like this.

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Make a puller using the stud, a washer and a wood block. Should go OK.

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    So I'd be using the stud and leverage against a wood block to pry the stud back out?

18. Barncaster

Soft wood block on body with hole drilled through with id larger than the insert flange to be pulled. Use a bolt of correct length with matching thread so you can put a wrench to it. Use a washer or two to provide the thrust surface on the wood.

19. Barncaster

No prying here, just pulling or extracting. I'd post a picture but the forum doesn't let me using my phone anymore. But here is a YT link of a similar design.

Rob

R. Stratenstein likes this.

20. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    That's what I pictured, seems quite smart. Thanks rob. It's far better than my overly complex ideas

Barncaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.