Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Those are cool!

Mark Grant and Barncaster like this.

2. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    This bad boy has a new owner, sad to see it go

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you! Let's make one of them yours!!! :)

4. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    One of my friends asked me to make a new pick guard for him...the one I originally made was red tortoise with sorta Les Paul pick guard shape...he wanted something in aluminum and with a little more of a race car feel... SAM_0639.JPG SAM_0640.JPG

Haytheman, Duggo, Mbechmann and 10 others like this.

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I totally dig that, Clint!

6. Clint Walker

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Thanks brother!

7. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Blimey, I am running out of words.

Clint Walker likes this.

8. Clint Walker

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Thanks Metecem!

9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Awesome Clint. Tasty as always!

Clint Walker likes this.

10. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    No guitars currently. I did have to do some work on the electronic drums, as the used pads were heavier than the DIY ones and were pulling on the pipes too much. Which I was at it, I drilled a couple holes and routed the cables inside the pipes. Since they were now 'fixed', the children whomped on them good. And it turns out I need do to a little more work and replace a few nuts with nylock.

And still pulling a schematic off of a disassembled JL Cooper MSB II. I have the power section, the clock, the MIDI Ins and Outs mapped out. And some idea of how they interact with the big crosspoint switch and the pair of smaller switches. I still need to map out the connections from the Outs of the smaller switches to the UARTS ad how that interfaces with the processor. So far it all makes sense.

I took a little hiatus from building stuff to so some work in the garage. I'm putting up some overhead storage and moving some stuff around. Should give me a little more room to work. Though what would really work better would be for me to not be a 'messy desk' kind of person. Which I haven't managed since I did metalwork for a living.

Next build will be fun, I promise.

Barncaster likes this.

11. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    20171015_090240.jpg

20171015_090125.jpg
    Just off the bench. Needs a little tweaking. I made this for a buddy at church and he had a few specific requests. He saw a La Cab Especiale so I made some Filtertrons and wired them to an S1 pot. I really like how that works. Will I ever try winding Filtertrons again? Probably not.. Splated maple top with and alder body and flame maple neck. I played it live yesterday and wish I could keep it. For such low output pickups they really spank ya! Still needs a final polish.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Wow, that's a stunner, Richard. Really, really nice. I have my own reasons for not enjoying Filtertron winding as much as some others, but why are you saying it?

13. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    Dang Mark I didn't know Bilstein made bandsaws-now that's cool;). Now if you only had a Crower Table saw.

Mark Grant and Barncaster like this.

14. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    They were a pain to make. I kept breaking off the start lead wire and I'm sure I went through half of a 1lb spool of wire and numerous attempts. It isn't easy to tuck in all of the wires either and I put the mounting screw through them at one point. :) It was one calamity after another. The small bobbins don't help either especially when you have to fill them to the brim. They do sound great though. I haven't tackled regular old humbuckers yet so we'll see if there were any lessons learned. I'll try some of those over the winter.

15. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yup, my beef, too. No grommets to secure the lead wires to the coil wires, or one coil to another. Also no physical securing mechanism for the coils so they flop around, breaking leads, until you get them on the base and under the cover.

16. Clint Walker

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Thanks Richard!

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you guys have issues with pickup assembly, please PM me and I can save you all from needless drama.

RogerC, DrASATele and ndeli55 like this.

18. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks for the offer Rob. Hope you're settled at home soon.

19. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_5589.JPG IMG_5590.JPG IMG_5591.JPG

Bass neck chugging along. Will flush trim the perimeter today on the pin router. Few more little moves before I attach the fretboard.

20. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Up to 9 coats on this sucker. In a week or so, I'll find out if that's enough.

IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0984.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.