Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I really like the pedals and cords intertwined amongst the woodchips!

Hope your back is feeling better soon. Big nuisance to have a wonky back.

2. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Nice. Will you apply any type of finish/sealer like mineral oil or pure tung oil

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Yeah Rex, that thing is a beast!

4. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Its off the bench finally !

Zepfan and Meteorman like this.

5. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    That was tasty, mkster.
    Very Ry Cooder-ish.

mkster likes this.

6. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Whoops!!!!!:confused: Guess I should try to remember what I read about one minute before I posted. Ah the joys of aging senile dementia.................then you'd know all about that as well Rick!:lol:

DC ;)

DrASATele, Barncaster and ndeli55 like this.

7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Know about what?:D

ndeli55 likes this.

8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I had L4 - L5 Microdiscotomy at the end of Aug. Before that while waiting for surgery I spent maybe 2 hours total a day in the shop, in 10 to 15 minute intervals, working on this guitar for my eye doctor who is celebrating her 10th year in business. It was nice to have something that I could focus on except the pain. I even surprised myself by having it complete, ready to go on time. Surprising because I pretty much did the finishing part while I was recovering.
    A 2 piece roasted ash back hollowed under a flame maple carved top. Curly Maple neck with a roasted flame maple board. Fat back style with with a 10 radius and medium jumbo frets. PRS Santa Pups. IMG_4662.JPG IMG_4664.JPG

9. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Looks really nice Dr.!

How does the neck joint do its job? Stable?

DrASATele likes this.

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'm digging that. Even without a pg, which I think most bodies need. Good execution, brah.

DrASATele likes this.

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Answering the questions about the butcher block:
    It is treated with a commercial butcher-block treatment consisting of a mix of mineral oil and beeswax - no other finish.
    No through rods, all glue. The main body is 7" thick and the skirts are 12" thick 8/4. The legs mount to the inside of the skirts with two angled lag screws each. They are 3" thick at the tops with a Shaker taper, and have 5" of bearing against the insides of the skirts, so they are plenty strong.
    Thanks for the kind words. It arrived at its new owner's house in Montana yesterday, right on her birthday. I made it for her in secret at her husband's request. They called last night to tell me she was thrilled!

Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

12. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Mete that was one of my worries too, but I've found so far no issues what so ever. Very stable, no checks/cracks near the base of the pocket, none between the mounting screw holes. I put it through a little bit of stress with no issues. That said I find I feel better when the sides of the pocket, even thin ones, remain. My first few attempts at the double cut the router just tore them off. I re-did my templates to give me a wider area for the neck pocket area there by leaving enough meat on either side that they don't tear off when I'm routing the pocket clean.

metecem likes this.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Did the L4 - L5 thing back in 2008. Then S1 went out causing L5 to fracture and giving me all my walking difficulties and challenges. Ahh the joys of DJD.

Take it easy DrASATele. The majority of fusion surgeries lead to more fusion surgeries because of increased pressure on the other joints, so wait til your fully healed before doing anything.

Barncaster and DrASATele like this.

14. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Thanks Zep. It's been tough doing that but the Physical Therapy folks are keeping me honest. If there's pain, there will be no gain. So far healing physically very well.

Zepfan likes this.

15. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Sorry to hear you had to have surgery and you were in pain, Chris. If the ortho ended up doing a good job for you, maybe you should make a guitar for him/her, too ! Love the eye Dr. one!

DrASATele likes this.

16. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_5521.JPG IMG_5522.JPG IMG_5514.JPG IMG_5524.JPG IMG_5523.JPG IMG_5525.JPG IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5530.JPG

5 string 34" scale bass neck coming together. Monterillo Tiger Rosewood 16" radius fretboard. Wenge & Birdseye Maple. Handmade 3/16" cold rolled steel trussrod with spoke wheel nut. Unreal tap tones. Looking forward to seeing this bass as a unit. Lots of details to work out during a prototype build...

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Here's where I left the stupid thing last night when I was too bothered to make it better. IMG_0980.JPG

On a stronger note:
    IMG_0981.JPG
    I'm up to about six coats on her.

I also got my Floyd equipped turser offset back to full strength. She had a bad pot that would only let about 10% signal through. Fairly productive night

18. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Looking good!!! Is your spray gun / compressor so loud that the bridge bushings need earplugs??? :D:D:D- great idea - I will adopt this!

nickhofen likes this.

19. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    That neck looks sooo classy!!!

Mark Grant and MoMo_the_Peach like this.

20. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Ittermittently, yes.

DrASATele and Barncaster like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.