Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    When I said strength, I was thinking more in terms of flaking pieces of the MDF off, but if it's a good tight fit with the insert plate, that shouldn't be a problem, and even less so backed up with the birch. Wax should be a good moisture protectant.

That really is a nice looking piece of cabinet work, Moosie.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Cheers, guys, probably came on a bit stronger than necessary, but I often get push back when I discuss this topic. Some people really believe I am just being negative and alarmist. But like smoking while you gas up your car, you usually get away with it, doesn't happen often at all, but what if it does? My wife is wonderful, forgiving, and very tolerant of stuff I do that she considers really crazy. But I'm not sure what my status would be if I burned her out of her house.

The downside is so terrible, and many guys do not realize how much of the down side there is, it just does not seem worth the risk to me.

If you truly believe it won't happen to you, I guess you should go ahead and do what you like. But I do have knowledge of this stuff, and it's more than just theory. It does happen in even fairly-well run commercial shops.

I understand it's really disappointing to find how expensive and difficult it is to do spray finishing safely, but again, is the convenience of a makeshift booth worth it?

John Nicholas likes this.

3. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Rick I truly appreciate your info and care in sharing what you know.

Sometimes we take advice from people who have been able to do something for years and get away with it. But besides that experience they do not have the collected knowledge from many years and all across the country.

Again I say thank you!!

4. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Did a bit of paint work today.....

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG

Next week the red will be applied...

Blue Bill, Deneb and Barncaster like this.

5. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I was surprised when a professional luthier I knew said he didn't spray his own finishes anymore, and after hearing you talk about the price of insuring a booth, I'm almost 100% sure that it's because of this cost. Well that and probably because he's lazy.

It was good to hear your point of view. Makes me think twice about all the crap in my garage... oye.

6. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I pulled the trigger on Fernandes STJ Limited Edition (looks like a Jackson Dinky) with a single humbucker. The guitar looks almost new, and I got it for only $85.

But it needs a good setup, the action is too low. The saddles have been raised quite high, so I need to shim the neck a bit to get them were they should be. Otherwise it works quite well.

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Zebras,,,, takes me back to '12 when the local gr7 guitar kid was getting into modding his guitars (with my help)...

one day he brought over this Zebra he painted up with an odd neck to get me to piece it together....

as I recall, I had to use shims in the side of the pockets to get a good tight neck pocket... came up a treat too...

Zebra Strat sm.jpg

Zebra neck1.jpg

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Captain Nutslot likes this.

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Just picked up these beauties this morning from a CL ad. I only paid a total of $15 :cool:

As near as I can tell, they're pre-1950 Cincinnati Tool Co.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

It's not only that.

The booth etc are, of course, good reasons to outsource it but when you think about it there are other good ones as well.

First of all, it's a different arts to master.Did I mention difficult?

Time consumption is enormous. I can do taxes in that time. It takes me sometimes 3 runs to get it done well enough. When I outsource it I have a deadline that somebody else needs to meet.

He/she has more experience than I do. They can keep their equipment cleaner than I can, they have adequate space, better guns, bigger compressors. They know where to get which color, lacquer, whatever.

They do not mind sanding. I hate it.

Last but not least, I personally outsource it for the mere fact that I want to share a bit of that little revenue with that person who does it for me. It's OK for me to spend that money and give another person a good feeling about themselves.

And yes, I can spray if I want to. Did it for a long time.

John Nicholas, RogerC and Deneb like this.

11. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Nice clamps Roger ! They built them good back then

RogerC likes this.

12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I agree with this. Add the guarantee of work that you can't allot yourself. If I screw it up, I'm screwed, if they do, they'd have to correct it.

I'd much rather have someone else do it, I just can't afford to.

13. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Mete, I agree, there are plenty of good reasons to outsource finishing. It wasn’t actually a knock on anyone who doesn’t spray. If you can financially justify having someone do finish work, AWESOME. It’s such a pain. I hate it too.

Strat’s post simply reminded me of a major motivator that I hadn’t thought of before. It’s really expensive to insure with a booth, especially if you’re in the location this guy was in.

14. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I got your message the right way, no worries mate!

I agree with the financial side. All ends should match for it to make sense.

Eventually I will start spraying again. Probably 2019 already. But I'll definitely go UV cured and water based.

15. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    What does a good pro level spray job run?

Working on this poplar strat body. Will get duplicolor mirage color shift paint
    image.jpeg

16. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    "What does a good pro level spray job run?"

Here's a guy that does work for Sully Guitars and many others...

http://www.rowycokustoms.com/RK_pricing.html

The real answer is it depends on what you have and what you want! The link is to the price list page.

17. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I think it varies a good deal depending on who you work with and where you are... But as a baseline example, if you go to a top of the line established guy in Los Angeles, a standard black spray job (initial seal coats, black and clear coats, then buffed) will run $400.

18. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Gotta love N.C. labor costs!
    Yeah, it's not even legal to spray Nitro in LA anymore. So urethane has taken over with the guys I've talked to. I saw someone posting here about UV finishes and it looked like a great way to go.

19. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

If you are ready to invest around 5K for proper equipment, yes.

Doyledagain likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.