Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Thanks. Our incandescent light makes it look orange

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Keep me posted! Can't wait to load one in and check it out!

ndeli55 likes this.

3. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Nice! Current drive design?

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Mark,
    Couldn't get to it tonight. Will shoot for tomorrow. Was finishing up a pair of special Gibson Style mini humbuckers and it went a little long but they came out well. They have a special magnet array for more grunt than stock.
    Rob

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It's really just a box of rock, condor cab sim, and modified Ruby amp all on one board. Modded the ruby to taste, including a tweaked version of Mark Hammer's Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control. I breadboarded it all up and tweaked things to sound how I wanted.

richa likes this.

6. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2012
    Ohio
    Beautiful! I'm getting antsy for a build, but my power tools are broken down and packed for the season!

7. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California

I have the cure for you!!!!

ndeli55 likes this.

8. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

10. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Been working a lot on movie stuff which is my weak excuse for not updating the "Epic Knob" thread. I've felt the need to do something guitar-build wise that was quick. I also happen to need a humbucker "pickup mule" sooooooo. . . Partscaster time!

IMG_7343.jpg

Guitarfetish.com had a sale of 30% off awhile back so I pulled the trigger. Basically the plan is to route a neck and bridge humbucker cavity, then I'm going to drill all the way through and create a rear access panel to allow me to switch out the pickups without removing the strings. I ended up ordering another pickguard that is all black from Warmoth, (not pictured.) Basically, matte black hardware and oil finished neck and body. I've got a bridge already. I got an extra set of knobs my accident. Didn't see that they were sold as a pair on the site. The body is ash and it weighs 5.7 lbs! Thinking about chambering out the rear just so it doesn't feel like a cinderblock every time I pick it up. I'm going to add a "direct" switch that will bypass the volume and tone pots so I can hear the pickups by themselves.

John Nicholas and Zepfan like this.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Blue Bill likes this.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Hey, Mike, good to hear from you! Making your living is not a weak excuse, it's sometimes an annoyance, but a lot of us out here think what you do is pretty danged cool!
    The partscaster/mule project sounds intriguing-- like the idea of the direct switch. Funny that YOU should have a mix-up on the knobs!!:lol:

mPacT likes this.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I've been wanting to get a couple of their kits for awhile, but wasn't sure about doing so with all the bad problems people have had with the wood products GFS offers. Let us know how it turns out Please.

mPacT likes this.

14. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Headstock, slightly related to a Snakehead yet far enough not to be a copy.

Thuya burl:
    [​IMG]

And the volute. Yes, that's just plain old maple. The fretboard is ironwood. I guess I told that before. Getting old here.

[​IMG]

I read somewhere I'd need a cavity. I thought then I'd need a cover. Had some ash left. Yes, from the same piece of ash. Stabilize the sucker with CA (meaning bloody make it drown in CA) and make it fit.
    Kinda fits.

[​IMG]

Started sanding and finished sanding as well. Maybe I should get this one lacquered or something like that. Glossy, satin? No idea yet.

[​IMG]

I have been looking for a reason to try some TV Jones pickups. I got these in Germany during the Holy Grail Guitar Show from the man, Tom V. Jones, himself. What a nice guy! Lovely chap.

The bridge is the dog's bollocks, though. It's a T-Tune internally aged metal bridge and worth every darn penny it cost me.

[​IMG]

I have a weakness for Tele. They are the only production model guitars from another company I'd consider building. Yet, even there I make stuff differently, headstock is angled, materials are top notch, tops are uncrowded.

Works for me.

15. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Would that be like I look 21 but know everything I do now? That'd be cool.

Nice build!

metecem likes this.

16. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Central Coast of CA
    Wow, That is just beautiful Mete! You're gonna love those pickups. I built something similar, curly redwood top on alder with Bigsby and TVs. They sound sweet! Your binding looks great. And the neck is looking really nice - love the clean lines of the volute. Nice job, as usual!

17. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

More like you're 21 and you remember to take your heart pills ;)

About the bridge:

richa likes this.

18. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Cheers and thank you very much!

I got the set a year ago for a "friend" project, he lost interest, I gave him enough time and now it's time to move on. Hence this guitar. Plus the redwood top was calling for a Tele (you know how it is).

The binding... I have a love/hate relationship with binding in general. This is my second attempt ever and I screwed up the first one pretty well. This one went well. Still looking for another way way. Polyurethane might be the way to go.

I even thought about edge banding machines.

19. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Very nice work Mete and awesome wood!

metecem likes this.

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    This is just the best new low I've seen in a long time.... Thanks Mete!

Mark Grant likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.