Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Unholy Union..... if there ever was a better goth or metal band name I am unaware of it!

Mark Grant likes this.

2. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Fretted a neck.

[​IMG]

Then fitted it in this neck pocket.

[​IMG]

3. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

And got some plating done.

[​IMG]

Mbechmann, Budda45ftw, CraigB and 2 others like this.

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

Should I fear being unable to turn you off? I dig these unions. Bra, you got those unity gainz.

Mark Grant likes this.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Beautiful, Mete!

metecem likes this.

6. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Turned some pens for a local retailer. These are olive wood, some sort of burl, bloodwood, African blackwood, and katalox. He wanted them finished with a matte finish so that the wood would be the focus.

[​IMG]

He ordered a batch of 20 which I just finished, and he just ordered 20 more.

nickhofen, Mbechmann, CraigB and 4 others like this.

7. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    That is a beautiful guitar!

metecem and Barncaster like this.

8. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Thank you. Yes, I do think, as well, it's not gonna be too shabby.

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Haha. This is just fun and games. Playing with these mash-ups and offering the bodies & pickguards as well as DIY kits and a few complete builds here and there is just one aspect of my bidneth. My 100% original design completely handmade guitars that I don't show much of here are my true passion. But you'll never be able to turn me off from guitars; please don't try. Many have and failed. It's all aboutz unity gains bro...

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I wouldn't dream of it. All of us blokes are a touch twisted and love these stringed things. I'm so involved in building lately that my playing skill is taking a serious hit.

As I always say when I'm trying to unease a prospect, "if you turn me on, you won't turn me of."

Mark Grant likes this.

11. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_5168.JPG

It's time to make some big pushes on my original 5 string bass build. The Stingray is based off the pre-Ernie Ball 4 string pickup. Magnets are 3/8" x 1". I'll be shooting for a similar turn count as well. When EB released the Stingray 5 they put much more wire on the bobbins & shrunk the magnets to 5/8" tall. Using an Aguilar 3 band active pre amp. Really high hopes for major Slap-A-Da-Bass funk/thump action here.

nickhofen, Zepfan, Barncaster and 2 others like this.

12. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    It's really funny you say that. My playing had taken a serious hit lately too!!!

Barncaster and ndeli55 like this.

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are some mad magnets in that puppy!

ndeli55 and Zepfan like this.

14. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    20 magnets between 2 pickups!

15. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Waiting to get some new sanding pads, I fixed the little chunk out of the neck pocket on the karri topped one.

I also got the top and the back chambered in the pine build, it's getting a karri neck and blackbutt fretboard. Also got the bolt soundholes cleaned as best as I could. Going with a bucker in the bridge and a hot rail type pickup in the neck, both will more than likely have trapeze tail pieces and definitely have roller bridges IMG_7827.JPG IMG_7829.JPG IMG_7828.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

16. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2012
    Ohio
    Nice... do you have any concerns that pine will give way to the threads when tightening neck screws? I've never been brave enough for pine necks, unless it was laminated with a hardwood lining up with neck plate screws.

17. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Had someone questioning how I glued the middle part of the body on the karri topped guitar, saying it will move but surely it would be solid enough????

18. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Been using it for 5 years and haven't had a problem, these bodies will have the necks glued in, but my other guitars have been fine, if they do fail I could always plug with a harder wood and re drill

HockeyPop98 likes this.

19. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    IMG_7811.JPG

Maybe he was just nitpicking who knows, seemed like he wanted an argument by the way he said it

20. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Oh and I'm not using pine for the neck, the one with the pinky type top is getting a maple strat neck with a rosewood fretboard and the pine body guitar is getting the same wood for the neck as the pinky top body.... hope that makes sense

HockeyPop98 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.