Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Hi John. I guess I'm feeling lazy and looking for a shortcut. I have one of those Jasper circle jigs, which can cut the template, I just need to scrounge up a piece of plexi or MDF. Mahalos!! Great to see you churning out some guitars.

Hey wait, you moved to Poughkeepsee?

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Let's hear it!

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I turned another pen last night. I'll be turning a bunch for a local business who'll be selling them on their website (it's one of the businesses owned by my friend with the laser), and we're doing some experimentation right now. He bought all the kits and woods, so I'm not sure what wood this actually is. It was very, very light. As a matter of fact, I was worried that it would disintegrate when turning. I took my time, though, and it turned out pretty remarkable.

[​IMG]

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY

5. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Quite a nice piece of redwood, ain't it?

6. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    It sure is , one of the nicest I've seen

7. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Zepfan and adirondak5 like this.

8. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Jeez - I thought my redwood was nice...

Attached Files:

9. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    I am willing to take either one of those nasty ole pieces of unprocessed sawdust off of you guys hands!

10. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

My second binding job ever. Kinda smooth. IMG_3515.JPG

11. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_4993.JPG IMG_4994.JPG IMG_4995.JPG

"Elvira" has received her new frets. Jescar Evo jumbos. Retaining all the fretboard wear was paramount. Luckily the neck is fairly flat. Truss rod functions flawlessly. Fret removal and install went really well. I use fish glue on the fret tangs. A small drop of GluBoost CA powered by accelerator on the fret ends. It came out perfect. Always a huge relief when these tricky vintage repairs go smoothly. Waiting on the new bridge and tuners. Thank god AllParts (Houston) survived Harvey!

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

13. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Sometimes the jigs take as much time as a guitar build!

Yes, I'm "churning" out guitars... probably a bad idea but have about 7 going at one time!!

Actually live in Pleasant Valley (6 miles East of Poughkeepsie) and have been in the same house for 16 years.

Blue Bill likes this.

14. colnago

colnago TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    The Great White North

Good beer choice. Mmmm PBR.

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    John my aunt lives in Poughkeepsie, I've been there several times. Hey, there must be another John Nicholas here on TDPRI, or Nichols maybe, that lives in Hawaii. I thought you were him, sorry 'bout that!

I got as far as finding a piece of MDF for templates, but just got a call to go play tonight, we-ha!

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I just finished these. Oak, finished with shellac and paste wax. Loose tenon to attach the foot. Thru-tenons are wedged and glued. Top stretcher is not glued, so it can be easily replaced.

I like the ease of clamping, and how they hardly take any space when stacked together. Surprisingly sturdy.

20170913_230559.jpg 20170913_230612.jpg 20170913_231724.jpg 20170913_230658.jpg

richa and Blue Bill like this.

17. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    Haha I did a set once by request, NEVER again! I let machines wind humbuckers just like God intended!

18. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    Captain Nutslot likes this.

19. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    1505394592180.jpg

Someone somewhere in DIY posted a question about roasting pine with a blow torch. I never read the thread any further because I pretty much immediately took a torch to a reclaim pine body I had sitting unfinished. It came out pretty cool so I thought it was worth posting. It didn't look quite right before the burst. It almost needed that very light vignette. Sadly I had already cut the pick guards and drilled the holes for them in the body prior the burn concept. I think I would have liked to see a little less plastic on it, oh well.

Loco85, callasabra, tewiq and 8 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.