Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    The workbench wouldn't stand up to this, so it's on the floor.....
    missed some Wandoo earlier in the week but bought this baby home today - a 2400mm x 140 x 66 post of 80 year old Wandoo. Just need a table saw with a sharp blade (or three) and it's $1 fretboard city....

IMG_7757.jpg

Bit of checking on one edge but the rest seems clean.

IMG_7763.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Mase, richa, darkforce and 1 other person like this.

2. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Another somewhat busy day today, noticed that the men's shed was open today so I grabbed all my tops/body blanks and so on to level them off and cut them up

So first up is the top to an Ibanez build, it's going to have a strat neck since I got a great deal on them, got the Karri top glued onto the pine body.

IMG_7678.JPG

Then I got some pine that was finger jointed and cut to size and made a router sled, it's together now (had to glue on extra bits to the side so the rail is snuggish) including the rail for the router, now I just have to put a bottom on it so I can stick bodies to it so I can chamber without worrying about the router falling in and poking through.

IMG_7679.JPG

Working on a Chris Cornell style 335 albeit chambered. so I got the body and the top flat, so now I have the sled I can do the inner carves and glue the top on and level sand the perimeter.

Also got a lovely Karri and black butt top to go on the pine bodies below
    IMG_7682.JPG
    IMG_7683.JPG

I nearly forgot about the SAF, sprayed the burst to see how t looked, just need to square off the back for the giant cavity cover, cut the cavity cover to size then that's nearly done

IMG_7680.JPG
    I think it needs a bit more black in the lower left

IMG_7681.JPG

Is it just me or does an Ibanez pickguard look sweet on a Tele
    IMG_7684.JPG

3. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    Yep I did, the burst on it was hand rubbed, used Fiebings leather dye thinned with denatured alcohol. I found that with it thinned enough it was easy to slowly build up the color till it was just how I liked it.

Mark Grant likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Something I made out of scrap Cherry. Saw something like it in a store how I came up with the design IMG_2683.JPG

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Beautiful job! I can not wait to take a stab at my first arch top. With so many ways to carve it'll be interesting to see what works for me. Do you build other acoustic instruments? Been thinking about making a mandolin based on my ukulele body. Loving this acoustic trip!!!

Daniel94 likes this.

7. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_4465.JPG

This Resomatic Steely Archtop is nearly complete. Loaded all the goods into the body yesterday. Always fun when you have to go in through pickup routes to load electronics! Today I'll make the nut, install the tuners, mount the neck and string it up. Next stop for this instrument: Australia

h2odog, Blue Bill, CraigB and 3 others like this.

8. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    Thanks! Arch top is definitely alot more work than flat top, but is really beautiful when done!! I've started on helping my little bro build a soprano uke, but haven't made much progress yet. I plan to build an acoustic guitar in the next couple of years as well. The mandolin was my first instrument to build followed by a tele. I really enjoy the variety of trying different instruments! That'd be pretty cool to do a uke based mandolin!

9. Swiftandbold72

Swiftandbold72 TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Plymouth

10. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Digging the punisher strap. Can't recall ordering a guitar though

LeftFinger and Jackadder like this.

11. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    IMG_7686.JPG

Single bucker in the bridge and arm and belly carves, rear route for the electronics.

Although I could try to drill out the jack plate hole and have the volume knob up in that cavity but I don't have a bit big or long enough.
    I had a black pg but I don't want to cover the top, plus I'd have to put another pup in there

Edit: pg wouldn't fit anyway, so the top will be the star of the show, the arm and belly carves will hopefully go to the contrasting wood, although I can carve the top now that I'm definitely not using a pickguard

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Finally no longer on the bench. This guy rocks! Better pictures to come later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

h2odog, RogerC, koolaide and 12 others like this.

13. Dewgits

Dewgits TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Here's my current projects:

Old World Craftsmanship, just me and the chisel you see to carve these out.

Okay, the cnc helped a bit too...

Old World Workmanship - Sort of.jpg

h2odog, Daniel94, mudimba and 5 others like this.

14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    [​IMG]

All that needs is a couple wads of dried up chewing gum above the neck p90:lol::lol:

but seriously very nice:D

15. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    [​IMG]

Hubba Hubba
    I would make sure you had my mailing address but this seems to have showed up last week
    [​IMG]

Arch Stanton and Zepfan like this.

16. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_4474.JPG

Cutting up Forbon and drilling 3/8" holes. Making bobbins for the the 5 string pre-Ernie Ball pickup that's going in the bass build. These magnets are 1" long and hang far below the bobbins needing special routes in the body to accommodate. They are wound with far less wire than the Ernie Ball pickups. The EB pickups are wound very hot and have much shorter 5/8" long magnets. Anyhow, fun trip down a different rabbit hole! Have a great weekend everybody.

Beats and Zepfan like this.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    My PVC built monstrosity won 2nd place in the CBN/CBGitty Plumbers Challenge Build Off and my prize was a $50 gift certificate from CBGitty.
    I got 2 sets of 3x3 sealed tuners(1 gold and 1 chrome) with screw in inserts and a set of pickups. The pickups and gold tuners are going into my Bo Diddly Tribute build making use of a silverware box I got from the thrift store.
    The pickups are slightly larger than a mini-bucker and made by Foundry-Tone(about the same size as their Snake Oil pickup). 1 measures at 9.8 DCR and the other at 9.85 DCR and they are 2 wire pickups and sell for $28 a pair.
    The tuners are of good quality(I've used them before) and they are a great value. The chrome sets sell for $15 and the gold sets go for $16.50.

Attached Files:

RogerC, richa, Barncaster and 3 others like this.

18. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    I congratulate you with the victory, Zep.:cool: You got a prize for a start of new projects!:cool:

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks. I wanted some Filtertron type pickups for my BO Diddly box guitar, but didn't have the funds so the gift certificate came in handy. These are more like mini-buckers. Don't know if the magnets are ceramic or Alnico, can't find any info on them. We will see if they can emulate some Gretschy tones or not soon. Already working on the neck from some Red Oak. Don't know what the silverware box wood is.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Congrats on your win, Zep! That's a nice haul of git-building loot you won! Look forward to seeing what it goes into. The silverware box sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Zepfan likes this.

21. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Spain

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.