Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Nice!!! I thought blackbutt was hard enough lol, I have been using karri from bunnings(local hardware shop in Australia) $8 a metre so I can get a neck out of 75cm length

2. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Enjoy! As for Bunnings timber, I've made a couple of necks from their figured, q-sawn Tassie Oak that turned out ok, just not a fan of the lighter coloured necks since I started using Blackwood....

Speaking of Wandoo, which I love to do, dithered over dropping $250 on some long, clean planks of Wandoo, enough for 70 or so fretboards (yes, why the hesitation??) but finally decided to buy.... in between leaving the website to check my bank balance and make a coffee and returning with leaping, joy-filled heart some bastard had made off with them :mad::mad::mad::(:(:cry:

mux164 likes this.

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_4419.JPG IMG_4420.JPG

Hand selected 50bf of prime featherweight 8/4 Alder yesterday. Stuffed 24" lengths into the work truck. Enough for about 10 bodies. Will be in the workbench very shortly...

4. Swiftandbold72

Swiftandbold72 TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Plymouth

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

6. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Having some fun with this one...hope to have it finished up this week.
    FWII.jpg FWIII.jpg FWIIII.jpg FWIIIII.jpg

fatcat, h2odog, RogerC and 13 others like this.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Clint that's awesome! Where have you been? I was getting used to a new build every 2 or 3 days..:)

8. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    Thanks Richard! Man, this heat has kept me out of the shop...hahaha...time to move the shop into the spare bedroom...The Mrs. won't be happy though...:D

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    It almost done !

Attached Files:

10. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Worked on the Tele today, the semi hollowbody was pissing me off, just need to route and cut the pickguard IMG_7673.JPG

fenderchamp, darkforce and CraigB like this.

11. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Here is a reminder to drain your compressors air tank regularly. Otherwise you may be emergency ordering a replacement in the middle of the night!

I use my compressor all the time, every day. It's "silent" so I can work all night without disturbing my neighbors. No sugar coating, I failed to drain the air tank often enough in the last 20 years.

As I was airbrushing today, I noticed water on the floor below it. I thought that I had better drain the tank as it had probably built quite a bit of condensation up in the last month. I put an aluminum tray under the unit and tilted it back to loosen the tank drain screw. I saw a tiny rust spot and touched it with my finger, BOOM!!! Explosive release of rusty water condensation. So the tank has rusted through.

IMG_7005.jpg

A replacement tank cost about as much as a new silent compressor and needing to have a functional compressor asap, I ordered this:

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.co...nVFgNZu4hjY4EjsjzHZcuRgy5nQ_Mwp99CxoCQsrw_wcB

Sounds about the same as my existing compressor in the video. (EDIT: The customer service rating for this company is pretty low so be aware.)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

12. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Keep the compressor bits Mike. I'm sure you'Il find a suitable pressure tank amongst your travels.

mPacT likes this.

14. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    You bet! Especially if the compressor I replaced it with turns out to be a lemon.

15. Barncaster

I would think the tank could be fixed and pressure tested prior to use.

16. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_4446.JPG IMG_4447.JPG IMG_4448.JPG

Yesterday I applied the color (shellac) on this Althea uke & glued the neck on. It's amazing that tinkering with telecasters has turned into this. 5 years ago I would have laughed if you told me I'd be building ukes. Haha. Onto nitro lacquer topcoats & Ebony bridge carving!

17. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    Beautiful work on that!! Is that a hand-rubbed or sprayed burst?

18. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you! Burst is sprayed. I've found shellac to be the least forgiving material to spray when compared to lacquer and automotive urethanes. But once you get the mixture perfect (it varies by the day) it works well. Did you build the mandolin in your profile pic?

Daniel94 likes this.

19. Barncaster

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The back of that uke looks amazing!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.