Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I got it done...looks like the other one except it is A3 with a 50 mm spacing and 4600 winds per coil with a lower DC resistance. Now what to do with them....

2. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    hamburg, NY

3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Marty that is so nice of you- I'll PM you my address. Rob said you made the pups for me??

guitarbuilder likes this.

4. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Progress made on the star guitar progress2.jpg

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    48 bf of 8/4 hard maple destined to be a big honkin' end grain butcher block for a friend's wife. These kind go for over $1000 store-bought. All the wood was just $200 so he's saving a bunch!

Rex

6. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Catchin' up on some metal work for the flintlock longrifle.
    Some of the metal "furniture" is more satisfying (and way cheaper) to make myself - it's not hard, just need a lot of elbow grease.
    And good files.
    You cannot do this kinda work without a boatload of good files.
    So I made the sideplate, the toeplate, the hinged patchbox lid, and some ramrod pipes.
    Just a matter of designing, cutting, filing, pounding, cursing, forming, filing, bleeding, grinding, more cursing, etc etc.

[​IMG]Untitled, on Flickr

The imperfections in the metal are fine - most I will leave - they add a desirable effect once all is done and the metal has been aged and grayed.

Below is with the toeplate screwed in place, prior to continuing to form the buttstock.
    The fragile pointy wood part of the lower butt is now encased in steel - where it will remain for most of the rest of the build.
    Otherwise, sadness reigns if/when that thin wood toe snaps off...

For me, working metal isn't as much fun as woodworking.
    This sign says it all - maybe some of you can relate:
    [​IMG]Untitled by , on Flickr

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    ponce, MM73, DrASATele and 9 others like this.

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Making your own hinged patchbox lid and ramrod pipes? Nice!

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

What alloy do you use?

9. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Wow!!! You bent/hammered these hinges?? Very impressive

Barncaster and Mark Grant like this.

10. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2012
    Ohio
    Thanks! I spent the better part of a day soldering all the jumpers on each of the pots, then mistakenly thought I possessed the patience level to mount and wire them up in place. Uh, no. I put it down for a day, and decided to cut a scrap piece of masonite and drill the holes in the correct place, then mounted and completed the wiring "above ground." Even then, it is indeed a chore!

By the time I was finished, I realised I hadn't taken any pics. I'll remedy that tomorrow afternoon when my son gets back from rehearsal. For now, even though I had absolutely NOTHING to do with this guitar's finish, it's so sweet looking that I decided I'd put a few pics up of it, showing why my boy likes it so much. It sounded great before, but even with him noodling over his practice amp to try the new upgrade out, it's plain amazing now! (Sorry for the flash, but it's such a deep wine color, you don't realise it's not black until it's under bright lights!)
    IMG_20170512_135607.jpg IMG_20170512_141332.jpg IMG_20170512_135555.jpg IMG_20170512_135458.jpg

Crafty Fox, richa, Zepfan and 2 others like this.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    You are a man of infinite patience. I could not agree more with your hacksaw quote- wisdom of the ages there! Also, it looks like your anvil has seen some work hammered out on its edges. Great stuff here.

12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_2943.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG

Usually at this stage I would package all these parts and ship this thing. I'm going to assemble this one documenting the procedure along the way for posterity. The buyer for this piece is a professional touring musician. You might see it on stage soon with Carter Winter.

h2odog, R. Stratenstein and Mat UK like this.

13. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Thanks Rog. The patchbox lid is not all that hard, cut it out & just form it up around a hardened music wire hinge pin.
    Cutting the hinge knuckles is a little fussy, but it's not supposed to look like a Swiss timepiece movement - which is good cuz it sure doesn't.
    The fancy boys would go for a 7-knuckle job.... I'm just a 5-knuckle dude.

I use whatever scrap steel I can find that's the right thicknesses.
    Lately, I've been using salvaged dividers out of an old file cabinet type thing that was thrown out.

[​IMG]Untitled by Mike Millard, on Flickr

This doubles your pleasure as a junk-collector - not only do ya look at every piece of wood and wonder if there's a tele body in it, ya look at every piece of metal and wonder if it has a gun part in it.
    It's a curse, as u know.

thank you sir. easier than it might appear.

Thank you Rick.
    The little bench anvil was an auction find - it came with the edges badly abused as you note - thus I have to do sharp bends on one of my vises.
    I have a 100-lb'er anvil out in the shed - my buddy rescued it from a scrap metal load about to go into the melter - the top still has some bounce to it, but it has abused edges too.

Interesting to read how some of the old-timers heat-treated anvils. Heating 'em up to critical temp was time consuming, but not technically difficult, in a big coal forge, but the quench was harder for something with that mass.
    Ya can't just drop a 1400-degree anvil in a drum of water, because the resultant steam envelope interferes with (slows) the quick quench needed to appropriately harden the steel. Some of the country boys would get it up to temp close to the nearest river, and have a rig set up so it could immediately go from the heat into the river to quench. That volume of swift-moving water defeated the steam envelope and did the trick.
    Sounds like a good afternoon job, with some homebrew in the back of the truck...

14. Barncaster

LOL, file cabinet dividers! I dare say if they had it back in 1776, the steel alloy that those are made out of would have been classified by General Washington as a state secret for its immaculately smooth finish, consistency of thickness and resistance to nail polish....

Meteorman likes this.

15. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I finished up the walnut Tele a few days ago, and I love it! It inherited a set of pickups I had in a previous build, wound by our friend Mr. Rob Barncaster, so you know it sounds fantastic! Here's a video of my nephew Harrison putting it through its paces, really showing off the tones.

I'll try to get some decent pictures of it, and maybe even a real demo vid eventually, but for now I'm just playing it!

16. Barncaster

His tapping technique is flawless. If he keeps that up he'll be BMOC in nursery school.

jamorudd likes this.

17. Doyledagain

Doyledagain TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This post reminded me of a question I was going to ask - does anyone have a standard parts list for a telecaster, or a link to one? I keep meaning to make one up. Every build, I remember "oh right, I'll need this and this, can't continue til I have this..." - also, feel free to call me lazy and tell me to make my own. But this is what the internet's for, right?

18. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_3055.JPG IMG_3057.JPG IMG_3060.JPG IMG_3058.JPG

Ohh man... it's gonna be hard to let this one go.

19. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    IMG_3222.jpg

"Check The Time", tall clock with storage for my youngest daughter;
    IMG_3222.jpg IMG_3223.jpg Macassar Ebony/Maple checks with Silky Oak front and Tasmanian Oak trim.

20. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The previously shown refurbished MIM neck on the one piece alder body sporting (3) A5 8000 turn winds. I haven't had a strat around in years. The rest of the parts were from the parts drawer.

strat.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.