Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Thanks Rog.
    Still plenty o' time for me to screw it up.
    With your woodworking acumen and your artistic talent, you could crank these out eezy-peezy.

2. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    Got annoyed with crouching all the time to work on my bike, so i built a little stool out of scraps. I also made the height so that it can act as a centre stand for my bike.
    [​IMG]

Heres what all the hard work is for. So many great backroads to explore!
    [​IMG]

MM73, fidopunk, Crafty Fox and 3 others like this.
  3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've got a test fretboard of an inlay design I've been kicking around for quite some time. This is for the Mini ME. Do you guys think the higher fret inlays need to be wider? In the drawing software they are all the same width, but the sharper corners up high make it so that my end mill can't get in as far...

[​IMG]

fidopunk, koolaide and Manny012 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Nice, Rip. Yep, I'd definitely make the upper inlays wider and flatter.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Agree with Roger. Great looking inlays. What material do you have in mind as filler?

7. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Maybe not wider, but definitely flatter/fatter.

MoMo_the_Peach likes this.
  8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    My plan A is to do a two tone inlay of tiger pearloid and abalone pearloid. That is what the test fretboard is for. Real fretboard will be cocobolo.

Looks like I'm making them wider (meaning extending the points towards the edges of the fretboard). Will have to redraw some.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    FWIW, I kinda like the diminishing size inlays.

10. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_2589.JPG

1964 Fender Precision Bass refinish is just about wrapped up. I'll make the last few moves today. Can't wait to see it with the '64 Jazz bass neck it's been married to for decades. Donald Dunn would approve I do believe.

11. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Looking sweet Mark. Duck had that line from the first Blues Brothers movie when they were sitting in the Holiday Inn lounge. Now this was back in VCR days when the audio was marginal at best. With his thick southern accent I had to rewind, crank the volume and listen to it about ten times until I got it but it's one of the best lines in the movie. He said "We had a band powerful enough to turn goat pi$$ into gasoline". One of my favorites.

koolaide and Mark Grant like this.
  12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    PineMart Star body with PineMart neck (NOS 2016 leftover from the batch of 5) and Pinemart Applied Field Pickups ( PAF), A5 bridge @ 7900 winds, A3 neck @7800 winds. Humbuckers are hard to assemble when you don't do it every day. I think I wound about 7 coils. I ended up buying newer, better designed bobbins and 26ga hookup wire while burying the hook up wire inside the bobbin before winding. That worked out better for me.

pups.jpg

I used the McPherson technique shown here:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    Barncaster and RogerC like this.
  13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG Okay, it's not a guitar. It's a honeydo. Mrs. Stratenstein reminded me how proud I was to have drilled a hole in the bottom of this priceless Ming Dynasty vase, without shattering it (aw shucks, honey, t'wernt nothin [but a $60 diamond bit] ). But it was more than 10 years ago, and now she's wanting a lamp for something. So, order up some expensive, over-priced lamp parts, lop offa chunk O walnut, hog huge hole in bottom of said chunk O walnut for lamp weight. . Cut lamp rod tube, screw on bits and pieces, trim rod tube to final length then, of course, Odie's on the walnut. Oh, yeah, not really Ming Dynasty.

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    What do you get when you rub it Rick?

koolaide, Mark Grant and LeftFinger like this.
  15. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Your not supposed to ask at his age:lol::lol::lol:

Axis29, Mbechmann, koolaide and 2 others like this.
  16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Ohhhh!! Shots fired!!

:lol::lol:

LeftFinger, Mbechmann and Barncaster like this.
  17. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    It crosses my mind... you might have done something unappreciated and this lamp is your only way out of the dog house. What did you do?

RogerC likes this.
  18. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_2631.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG

Currently I'm converting one of my 3'x8' rolling workbenches into a huge router sled. These Koa slabs are about 24" wide and 6'6 long. My planer is 15. Leveling and surfacing these slabs is literally going to happen on my workbench! I know it's not a guitar but I hope it's OK to post this here Marty (-; Cheers everybody! Happy Friday!

19. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA

I trust you didn't forget to install "The Clapper" controller.

Barncaster likes this.
  20. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    machined up some parts (6061 Aluminum for bridge and control plate) to send to my buddy over in Okinawa....wound the bridge pickup to a hefty 11k with 43awg wire...the neck pickup I wound to 7.5k with 42awg wire...I think this will provide some nice grind...pots are CTS 500k...the cap is an old Sprague .022 I had in the tool box...the saddles came from GFS... 18033187_1873659146247365_2402275983065595343_n.jpg 17904144_1873659176247362_8203736156873785854_n.jpg

21. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    nice pile of wood. Just cut it down guitar body size and it will be easier to plane!

Mark Grant likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.