Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Well, that's cool.

May I recommend a double stack amp, so your neighbors can enjoy the tick ...tock ...tick ...tock. . . Tick ..., ad nauseasm . . :lol::lol: No sense in keeping the goodness all to yourself, eh?

I'm sure I needn't ask, but you are a fan of Clickspring.com, aren't you?

2. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    I know this will shock most of you, but after ignoring Photobucket's Bob the Robot, and pushing my inquiry (about where all my pics went) through to their "customer service", I have heard absolutely nothing in response.
    Frustrating enough to make a man put back things he didn't steal.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    R. Stratenstein and RogerC like this.
  3. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2013
    Killeen, Texas
    I wanted to try something different for a pickguard...found some Lexan at my local Home Depot...it is .093" thick...machines nicely...I like how it turned out...wish the Circle of Life in the middle would have been cleaner...I like the way the compass comes through, just enough...I did spray the back with a coat of tinted lacquer...gives me more ideas for future projects! Nauticus.jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Yes sir, just for you and Rick! Hahaha

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG

Just about ready to send this Tacoblaster to Louisiana. '53 Austin neck & a Smokestack bridge will be the pickup combo. Great middle position tone. Looking forward to seeing how the assembly goes for my customer. I'm going to put together an assembly demo in the vendor forum. Should be good for anybody learning how to properly assemble a Telecaster.

Here are a few short demos of the pickups that I'm sending with this kit. Loaded in Tacoblaster xxx1 demo mule. Alder body, rosewood board, razor thin vintage nitro finish.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Oh, shoot, Rog, and just when I was going to offer to send you a good supply of dust for the bowl, from my copious dust collection. I really like the OK cutout, hope it ends up getting used. But no matter, you'll come up with something great. :cool:

Barncaster likes this.
  8. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Thanks, Mark. I got dibs on the new. :D:D

Mark Grant likes this.
  9. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Refinishing my boy's bass.... Gag lol

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Who knew that Heine's makes a good paint remover?:D

11. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Sunday update.
    Buttplate inletting is about equivalent to fretwork in guitar building - tedious, time-consuming, and glad to get it behind you. It used to take me about 8 hrs - then I learned to spend more "upfront" time laying it out & scribing an accurate line and getting real close with the bandsaw.

So after layout, bandsaw, & brief spindle sander work, i'm left with this to start the tedious chisel & scraping work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put my transfer medium (lipstick) on the mating surface of the buttplate, set it in place, rap it with a hammer, pull the buttplate off carefully so as not to leave any "false positives", and chisel or sand away the red on the wood.
    The half-round piece is centered and glued in place, to insure the buttplate goes back in the exact same spot everytime.
    Some people don't use a piece like this at all.
    Some people carve this from the stock wood - I did that a few times - never again.
    It's not seen -- this method works fine and saves a coupla hours.

I repeat this process (apply lipstick, put in place, rap, remove, chisel away lipstick) about 50-75 times (2-3 hours). You're watching/working three surfaces simultaneously - the long curve, the horizontal flat, and the vertical face flat.

One really has to sneak up on a tight fight in all dimensions - there's no shortcuts around this. Gradually the lipstick footprint become more complete - which is the goal.

[​IMG]Untitled by Mike Millard, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Eventually, I see the lipstick footprint all the way round (no gaps between wood and metal), and I breathe a sigh of relief, call it a day and head for the beer fridge.
    I didn't even pause to take of photo of that stage.

Then comes the harder-than-it-looks process of drilling & countersinking three holes to attach the buttplate in the EXACT same spot, such that the "no gap" fitting is not compromised.

As I said this is a LOT harder than it sounds and often involves plugging and re-drilling the stock.

(I did 2 plugs & re-drills on this one).

So now I am at this point. Now that the toe (bottom) of the buttplate and the rear of the trigger plate are in their homes, I can lay out the bottom profile line of the buttstock, connecting these two landmarks in some (hopefully) pleasing smooth line.

I can now also layout the cheekpiece on the buttstock, stealing measurements and location off an existing rifle.

Next step is inletting the triggerguard, and then beginning the artistic struggle of carving the blocky buttstock chunk into a smooth, graceful thing. Hopefully. Chisels, rasps, files, and scrapers. This is more fun - like neck carving on a tele.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  12. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Me too :D:D:D

Mark Grant likes this.
  13. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    These two buggers are going in the wax! Was playing my P90 equipped SG the other night and there is still room for improvement, especially in the neck. I reduced the neck winds even more from the previous 7200 spec but this time also integrated a completely antediluvian style P90 magnet array. The very first P90s in the mid to late 40's had rod magnets. I have a '46 P90 with rods in the stash with what measure around what I would expect A2 to be. Can't be sure.
    IMG_6604.JPG
    Anyway, these have A4 rods for a little more detail and moderate charges. A 3/16" bit was used to drill out the bobbins to fit the rods. I put 9500 on the bridge and 6500 on the neck. Review to follow.
    IMG_6603.JPG
    Rob

fenderchamp, Deneb, Blue Bill and 6 others like this.
  14. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Rob this looks like real shielded cable on the pups. Do I need to be concerned about your wellbeing?

Barncaster likes this.
  15. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I'm just in awe of your work, Mike. That's some seriously good stuff!

Meteorman and Barncaster like this.
  16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I finally got my base done for the award.

[​IMG]

This fits much better and is what I had in mind originally. It's got to be done by the 26th, so I've got plenty of time for final sanding and finishing. I think I'm just going to use tung oil finish for the walnut and just an acrylic sealer coat for the state cutout. The client is getting a brass plate done for the front.

17. Barncaster

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    No worries Helmut, they got reused from the recycle bin. The ones that came out had twisted cotton insulated leads however. Class....

And the pups; they just sing. Finally got the P90 neck tone I have been looking for with no reservations. Better than a vintage wind Strat neck pup and that's saying something. Notes are very full sounding, not like my Strat which as we all know can lack grunt. The bridge took quite a bit of height tweaking but finally got it.

Rob

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Mark Grant likes this.
  18. Barncaster

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    No blue Rog! No blue!

RogerC likes this.
  19. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I set up my 3/4 kit guitar today, put some strings on it , 11-50's... it's a 23 1/2" scale length...

I had to shim the back of the pocket a bit to get a good neck angle, file the nut slots, adjust saddles for intonation, etc...

feels pretty good,,, nice light action, no fret buzzes or hums from the electrics... the pickups are ok, not too sharp or not too dull, they'll do.... kids won't care ..

a comparison shot next to my house tele... a new little T-stylin' sister in the house...:)

3qter body.jpg

3qter guitar with Tele.jpg

20. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2017
    The Dalles, Oregon
    While waiting for the nitro to cure on another Tele, I started staining this one over the weekend:
    IMG_3512.JPG

Muzikp, Mark Grant, Blue Bill and 5 others like this.
  21. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Looks exactly like one of those Hannah Montana guitars Washburn used to make.Bought one on clearance and parted it out
    Sounded pretty good too

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.