Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    What is that stuff, anyway?

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Ya, it looks like gold duct tape!

Raoul, that came out great, nice job. I like the Jetson's pickguard. How's that Charlie Christian sound. I've always wanted to try one.

3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

Laundering guitars... finishes on the line today, getting some sun...

Poly, Shellac and D/Oil.... the trifecta... :)

DSCN0924.JPG

DSCN0929.JPG

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Doyledagain

Doyledagain TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Had just set my walnut Tele up when I noticed some nasty scratches on the back. So back to sandpaper and tru oil... on the flip side, it sounds friggin hot. The fender noiseless pups work nice and I tried out the four way switch mod with the tone/volume bypass push/pull switch. It's amazing how that brightens the guitar up...

IMG_2488.JPG

6. Raoul

Raoul TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2016
    CO
    [QUOTE="Raoul, that came out great, nice job. I like the Jetson's pickguard. How's that Charlie Christian sound. I've always wanted to try one."[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Pickguard was fun, the 2nd time. First one got a little melty in what should have been the final light-handed touch-up ... :rolleyes:

I've only got a half-dozen or fewer hours on it. I got the CC used from a friend (he thought it too noisy), couldn't pass it up. It sounds great alone, clean with fingers-- full but very open and chimey. Haven't played with any overdrive or hard picking, yet. Looking forward to more experience with it. It's really quiet, which surprises me. Must be the electron-extra-friendly shielding I used.

I put a 0.015 uf cap in there, because I was worried about the CC being too dark, and so the bridge (lollar vintage, since I got the neck cheap) is ... intense ... with the tone wide open. I've been a 335-style guy, though, so the brightness perception could just be relative to my reference point? New to this single coil thing.

Blue Bill and Barncaster like this.
  7. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Ain't it, though. Probably my favorite little mod. That and a treble bleed. Every Fender gets both.

Barncaster and Doyledagain like this.
  8. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    What about that color change??? Those stacked strat pickups look great. Can't wait to hear them.

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hi Deneb,
    Once I get the guitar together, I'll do a video. Maybe I'll wire it first without the buffer just to hear the pups. Stand by.
    Rob

kifla and Deneb like this.
  10. Barncaster

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Ripply-bumpy? That surface is for enhanced stimulation......

11. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Hi Rob,
    It would be very interesting, but it's up to you.
    This is an additional work to disassembly/assembly the pickguard. There is also the risk of broken some a strings.
    Deneb

12. Barncaster

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hi Deneb,

No problem. I accidentally overcooked the very delicate and very cheap 25k volume pot, so..... while waiting for replacements to come in the mail, I'll wire it for passive operation. I've done many stacked Tele sets and they sound great and are quiet. This is the first stacked Strat set I've done so it's all a grand experiment!

Rob

Deneb likes this.
  13. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    :cool:
    Rob,
    I look forward to hearing it!!!
    Deneb

14. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Can I un-read this????:lol::lol::lol:

15. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

Another Valstang ready for strings, just screwed it together and wired it up... I figured the finish was cured enough, it was time....

the Silver Machine... ready for the gr4 guitar kid in my band... he showed me he is obsessed enough to have his own guitar... already doing bar chords and sliding power chords/octaves, finger picking and seeking out how to play songs on ytube...

yep, it was time...:)

Valstang1.jpg Valstang body shot.jpg

16. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    TDPRI again reminding me that "I don't have the tools for that" is not a valid excuse.

17. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Central Coast of CA
    First try at cutting MOP into inlay and routing. Not perfect, but I guess a little wood dust with CA wicked into it will fill the gaps OK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Looks perfect. The wenge will forgive the filled gaps.

CraigB likes this.
  19. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Tap.... tap... tap.....

20. adirondak5

adirondak5 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Looks good to me Craig ;)

CraigB likes this.
  21. darkforce

darkforce TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Germany
    A set of full range TQWP speakers:
    20170318_223255_20170318230704512.jpg

I hate the amount of dust MDF creates...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.