Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What's New in Surf Music?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Paul in Colorado, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Maybe it's because it's the first day of spring, but I've got the bug to start a surf band. I'm not stuck on doing only '60's instrumentals, so I was wondering what's up in modern surf bands. Who should I check out? I like the Van Duras and Blue Hawaiians. I take inspiration from Fender Fan's groovy little combo "The Royal Aces."

What's happening musically where the ocean meets the shore on a moon lit night?

2. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I love Los Twang Marvels. Great band!

3. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    radiomanjh, ifallalot and frankg11 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This is from a few years back, but there's a band called La Luz out of Seattle that I really like. Fender guitars, organ solos, four-part harmonies, and lots of reverb. Who could ask for anything more?

Steve 78, atomfissure and BorderRadio like this.
  6. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2011
    Toronto
    The Sadies from Toronto are killer. Very surfy and great songwriters, too.(and there's even a telecaster in the mix)

7. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    LES AGAMEMNONZ! Some of the best stuff I've heard in a long time. They're from Greece and wear togas onstage :)

troy2003 likes this.
  8. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    Not new, but from this decade: Slacktone...

9. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Los Straitjackets are fun if maybe not that new.
    Messer Chups are a Russian surf band with a neat line in goth horror.
    The Bambi Molesters from Croatia have been around for twenty years and are sort of serious surf.

drlucky likes this.
  10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    The Coffin Daggers?

Steve 78, RoyalBaby and BorderRadio like this.
  11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    KCJonez likes this.
  12. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    There is an Australian band called "The Atlantics" that do a lot of original surf tunes. They used to have a book of sheet music and accompanying backing tracks for sale; not sure if they still do. I bought it several years ago.

The Vanduras and Blue Hawaiians are great. Gary Brandin on steel guitar. (Although I don't think he was in the original iteration of the band, so he might not be on all BH tracks.) I think the only Vanduras CD is "In the Dark," and I believe all instruments, possibly with exception of drums, were played by Gary and his son. Not sure if the Blue Hawaiians are still playing regularly in the LA area.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  13. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I got to know Gary through the Blue Hawaiians. He sent me the Vanduras CD. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on all La Luz and Coffin Daggers (and Sadies, but never saw them as 'surf', mo' turf). Mix in Trashwomen to taste (not new, I admit).

jdgladw likes this.
  15. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    From a couple years back..

16. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Aug 16, 2013
    Oak Park, IL
    Blue Stingrays which is one of Mike Campbell's side projects is quite good even if somewhat overproduced. I am a fan of Aqua Velvets as well as some of the more traditional bands like the Bambi Molesters or the Eliminators.

Surf101 is the site to visit for surf. Fenders rule over there, although not Teles so much.

17. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

I think modern surfers across the globe will listen to any/all kind of music these days....:lol:

cowabunga dudes...:twisted:

18. jdgladw

jdgladw TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The Trashwomen! Man they were a lot of fun. Some of the other bands at the time on Estrus would also fit in the 'not new but...' category like Satan's Pilgrims, Impala, Phantom Surfers and Man or Astroman?

For something new, you could go with the John Reis (from Drive Like Jehu, Rocket From the Crypt, etc.) and Blind Shake team-up from last year titled Modern Surf Classics:

or maybe Pounded by the Surf from 2015:

19. horax

horax Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    Where are you in Colorado?
    I've been trying to start a surf band here for YEARS!

used to play in one in Denver, but I"m from colorado springs...not much surf action down here.

I'd love to get together and play.

I like the Bambi Molesters, but also check out the Insect Surfers...dude plays an SG Custom!

20. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm up in Fort Collins, horax. I saw a paddleboard on the top of a passing car today and my first thought was "Why would someone have a longboard on their car here?" I guess I'm still a Californian in my soul.

Check out the Royal Aces sometime if you get up to Denver. One of my favorite local bands that I don't get down to see often enough!

horax likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.