"What's HE doing there?" the most unlikely band member replacements.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, May 11, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, before a band has gotten its seminal line up together, it will likely have gone through several band members before the magic happens.

But it's AFTER the seminal line up split up and the decision is made to continue with others that sometimes somebody is being drafted in who, no matter HOW you slice it, would NEVER have worked.

[​IMG]
    Thin Lizzy in the early eighties, sticking out as a sore thumb is the guy in the Red Jacket. Who is none other than Ultravox' Midge Ure, who was brought in to replace Gary Moore on guitar but found playing the harmony lead parts with Scott Gorham so hard that he later switched to playing keyboards and had Dave Flett (Standing to the left of him) and later Snowy White do the guitar duties.

Ure being brutally honest about his time with Thin Lizzy.

But to be fair, he DID have his moments of glory during that tour. Doing all the leads on THIS classic.

[​IMG]
    Black Sabbath has had more line up changes than Spinal Tap with guitarist Tony Iommi being the only constant. So eyebrows were going VERY high when it became known that none other than Deep Purple lead singer Ian Gillan had joined the band to replace Ronnie James Dio.

With Gillan in the fold the band recorded an album called "Born again" but Gillan didn't last longer than a single tour when it became VERY clear that he was never comfortable with the songs.

But Gillan's time in Sabbath wasn't for nothing since it inspired one of Spinal tap's most memorable scenes...

Otis Fine, rze99, 68tele and 3 others like this.
  2. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

One of my first gigs was seeing Sabbath with Ian Gillan at dalymount park in Dublin, around 81. I'd have been 13. They encored with smoke on the water to resounding boos.
    My nomination is Sammy Hagar to Van Halen.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I had no idea Midge Ure even played guitar.

ponce likes this.
  4. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

One of my first gigs was seeing Yes on the Drama tour. As my dentist commented on seeing my sweat shirt when I was in the chair the next day "Trevor Horn couldn't hit those high notes, could he?"

I can't remember which song it was in the middle of which Geoff Downes burst into the melody of Video Killed The Radio Star...

Matt G, nvilletele and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

Hagar had some good sounding stuff with VH..... Gary was the head scratcher there.

I think some of the situations where I've blinked and asked "really?" Were:
    Jerry Only "recreating" the misfits out of himself, Dez Cadena(Of Blackflag) and Marky Ramone, creating the supergroup-est punk band possible.

Sublime coming back with Rome singing.

That one time when Ozzy and Metallica traded bass players.

Wolfgang replacing mark on bass, becoming a young dude on stage with Van-Aging

And the big one was literally all of GNR (including the newly molded plastic Axel) when they showed up on that award show during Axels 20 years working on Chinese Democracy.

I'd like to also acknowledge the bands where we were all indifferent;

Tommy replacing Ace (he spent 20ish years imitating him anyway) or Eric replacing Peter (meh, its Peter Chris, ya know?) In Kiss.

Anyone at all who's part of one of the several lineups from the several bands calling themselves The Temptations.

That one kid that sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry in Journey.

And Marky Mark's character in Rockstar replacing "Bobby" because it's the whole plot of the film...

Stylistically, these are all close. I'm sure something insane could (should?) Happen to cause more interesting shake ups in established lineups.

Like : Introducing the new members of the black keys: Willie Nelson and Snoop!

That level of impactful disbelief. Like Hank 3 joining the Donna's, or a Dolly duet with Marlyn Manson.

Giggles.

verb boten and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  6. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Tony Iommi in Jethro Tull comes to mind.

Frank'n'censed and joealso like this.
  7. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Phil Collins playing with Led Zeppelin at Live Aid.

That didn't turn out too well.

Deathray, Flyboy, Bassman8 and 6 others like this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Tommy Stinson joining Guns N Roses.

- D

9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Bernie Torme in Ozzy's band following the death of Randy. Bernie had a very, err, 'distinct' way of playing which was quite a way from the Ozzy sound. There are clips available on Youtube, but, I wouldn't. Michael Schenker was pencilled in at one point. Ozzy maintains Michaels demands were too high. Michael tells a different story. I don't think it would have worked, and given the pairs proclivity toward Courvoisier, one of them would have ended up rather ill.

Brian Robertson replacing Eddie Clark. While the album wasn't too bad, it wasn't on par with what went before, and the tour?. No. Short-shorts and gym shoes in Motorhead?. No.

Samantha Fox as a member of Hawkwind. Was she aiming to be the next Stacia?

Pixies2005 likes this.
  10. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Sid Vicious joining the Sex Pistols (he couldn't play for toffee)

Ed Tudor-Pole joining the Sex Pistols (different style)

Ronnie Biggs (the train robber) joining the Sex Pistols (what the actual @#£& ?)

Johnny Rotten thinking that Public Image would sound okay without Jah Wobble on bass (when Wobble left, they should've called it a day or at least renamed the band)

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

41144 likes this.
  11. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

And.... All the personnel changes in Fleetwood Mac since Peter Green left.

I know that will be contentious for some, but let's face it, Green Era Fleetwood Mac was more creative and had more of a vibe about it. Everything since has surely been all about the money for the two core members, especially when you consider all the dysfunctionality they've endured with 'certain' band members. They wouldn't have put up with half that 5#:t if Nicks and Buckingham hadn't written such successful hits.

Just my opinion of course.

verb boten, 41144, bumnote and 4 others like this.
  12. claes

claes Tele-Holic

No, nothing comes close to Midge Ure. As somebody wrote "I didn't even knew Midge played guitar" (I've seen him switch from synth and git.)

13. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Midge Ure is an amazing guitar player. Very articulate and expressive. I once saw a solo concert he gave, and I was blown away.

I can see how he just wouldn't fit in with Lizzy though. Different styles.

14. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Chris Cornell replacing Zack de la Rocha.
    Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

El Famoso, RiverDog and ponce like this.
  15. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For my generation, Michael McDonald replacing Tom Johnston in the Doobie Brothers. They were two completely different bands with that one switch.

16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

That interview is fun but, yes, Midge is an excellent guitarist... and arranger.

I'm no fan of synth pop but I do like his guitar work, for example on Dancing With Tears in my Eyes.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Neill Finn in Fleetwood Mac

18. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Lenny Krawitz replacing Layne Staley:lol::lol:

19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Axl Rose "filling in for" Brian Johnson. ****ing disgraceful. One of the most horrid singers of all time, from one of the most lame-o, douchey bands of all time, joining one of the best bands of all time. Just...so wrong on so many levels.

...and I ain't even a Brian Johnson fan. I pretty much cut AC/DC off after Bon Scott's death.

They should have got Angry Anderson instead. I don't know what the **** they were thinking. No Mal was bad enough...then they chose that clown to do the tour. Ugh.

verb boten, Deathray, Flyboy and 7 others like this.
  20. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Gram Parsons replacing David Crosby in the Byrds circa 1968 had me doing a double take. At the time, I hated the direction the band took as a result of Parsons influence with their countrified Sweetheart Of The Rodeo album. Years later, in retrospect, I became a huge fan of that album, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and Parsons, something I'd never believed could happen back in '68.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.