Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's better a high end squire or a low end fender?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ACES, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Brooks

Brooks TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    thanks Bob1234, great feed back. I've never been a "Mod guy", if I was unhappy with a guitar have always traded out of it. Since I LOVE my modest Affinity and joined this forum I've gotten the "mod bug". I defy someone to participate in this forum and not do something to their axe, ha ha.
    Yes it is a good platform, good neck and frets (90% of the battle from my perspective), alder body, it could be a decent guitar when finished. However I AM going vintage so it'll be the old school bridge with brass saddles. Never used graphite for a nut, have always gone Tusque but I will definitely give it a shot, worst case I'm out $6.00.

2. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    So true, but once someone gets it into their head that ethnicity is the measure of quality it's pretty hard to get them to consider other factors like timbre or playability.

3. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    I have 2 Blacktop's (one original series Strat, and Tele). The Mrs got me the Strat new, the Tele I got used for $200. My Mrs got the Strat literally while they were unboxing it at GC, she lucked out. It's a magnificent player, and while I've modded the electronics, the hardware is stock except for locking tuners (I switched out to a loaded pickguard, so I can always put it back to stock in a snap). It's put together as well as anything from any country of orgin Fender gear I've had apart (certainly much better than anything from the USA in the '70's). The Tele... Not so much. The neck and body were fine, but the nut is a different material from the Strat (grey, like on some Squier's). The control cavity route is one-way (reversed), it would require routing to put the control plate conventional. There was NO bridge ground, and the bent steel saddles in the bridge are thinner than the ones on the Strat. Other than the excellent necks, it was hard to believe they came from the same plant. I do like the Tele cutaway style (I'm a big guy), and the paint job is OK on the Tele (not as good as the Strat), but not as nice as some CV paintjobs I've seen. The Tele now has locking tuners, machined saddles, a bridge ground, and new pups. I was going to replace the pots, but a thorough cleaning did the job nicely.
    I had a MP Marauder that I sold because it did feel like it was dipped in plastic (especially the neck), but I also had a Squier '51 that had one of the best satin necks I ever played (though a few sharp ends were filed).
    Every time I play a made in USA Fender anything, I'm stymied as to what I would be paying for (other than resale value). We should be glad Fender wants to be competitive on multiple levels that we have such a diverse selection of excellent instruments to choose from compared to 30+ years ago.
    It's a world economy whether we like it or not. As a 50+ musician... I like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.