Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's better a high end squire or a low end fender?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ACES, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2013
    Herne Bay
    Yes, I've had the whole thing apart:

[​IMG]

I've completely revamped it now, thanks to scoring a sweet loaded pickguard with 2 x Seymour Duncan STK-4, and 1 x STK-6 in the bridge. Push/Pull on Tone 2 to add the neck pickup at any time:

[​IMG]

Really pleased with it, I'd say it's currently my best playing and sounding Strat. I filled the gashes in the floor of the neck pocket - I doubt it would have ever caused a problem, but it was bugging me. Wouldn't happen on a Squier! ;)

2. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I have owned a Squier Affinity and an MIM.
    I Own a CV thinline, a Samick (modded by me), some other kind of Squier with a rosewood neck and the finish doesn't appear to be poly at all (very nice actually but modded bridge pickup) and A homebuilt T style.
    The CV switch is a bit different looking but it works.
    The CV bridge pickup got an open in it within a week of me owning it (got it used) and seems to be a common problem amoung CV owners. For the price a rosewood body with perfect fit and finish? It sounds better with the replacement pickup anyway.
    Anyway, I Love them all. Bottom line. The Affinity neck seemed a bit narrow as I recall but it was decent.
    I've owned 2 above $600 guitars that sadly I had to sell.
    They weren't Teles but it was money well spent until I only got half back on the sale.
    It just kind of of tells me that maybe the higher priced models have some merit.
    I'll have to wait until I can play well enough to justifiy it and have enough cash to actually do it.
    I wish I had of had a build under my belt when I sold the MIM since it was getting in need of a refret.
    I will say this though. Of two poly necks and 2 not, If I was buying new, I would never ever buy a guitar with a poly coated neck again.
    Used..anything goes.
    I really enjoy taking a used one and repairing and modding it to my tastes.
    Hobbies and passions often cost money. So what.
    I'll give a lot more respect to someone with the nads to stand on stage with a Squier than someone with a mega$ guitar hanging to his knees playing 3 chords.

3. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The first Squier i ever heard and saw was in the hands of Robin Trower live blasting faces off with his small wall of Marshall stacks.

4. tlm3210

tlm3210 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2014
    Middle Earth
    I have two late model Squiers, the neck pockets look nothing like that thank God.

5. Brooks

Brooks TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    I recently acquired my first t-style, an Affinity. I love it so much I'm itching to get my hands on a "nice one". My budget is modest but I have time and am checking Craigslist, eBay, pawn shops as well as used and blemmed on the big retailer sites. I can afford the 300 +/- range. I'm thinking the CV, Modern Player or used MIM. Any recommendations for the price point?

6. Brooks

Brooks TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    itchyFingers: Do you have issues with the CV thin line finish? There's a one at a pawnshop nearby and in can get it for $200. It sounds ok on the amp at hand but the finish has some blistering along the bottom edge ( around the strap button) was wondering if it was an issue with the model or a sign of abuse by the previous owner.

7. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    In my experience, don't expect a huge jump up in quality or playability to the models you are suggesting. If you want to jump up, go to a made in America instrument, such as the American standard. You can get a used one sometimes for a very reasonable cost. That is what I would consider a jump up.

Otherwise, you're probably better just sticking with your Affinity. Do a few little upgrades. Saddles, pickups, maybe even tuners. You will end up with a better instrument than and M IM. Others will disagree, I'm just putting in by two cents based on playing a lot of these instruments.

I have yet to go into a music store and want to walk out with one of the models that you are suggesting to replace my Affinity which I have put a little bit more money in and gotten just perfect for an instrument at this price point. And make no mistake, the other models you're mentioning are around the same price point.

8. gsmacleod

gsmacleod TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Dartmouth, NS
    Brooks,

I just got an 09 CV Thinline in a trade and there are a couple of very minor dings in the finish but there's nothing that would cause me concern as to the quality of the finish.

Shane

9. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    i have a CV BSB and the CVC... They are both excellents guitars. I prefer to plays this ones until my MIA Fender. Both are more comfortable, lighter...

I have tried Japanese Fender, and i still prefer an Squier CV. No doubt against cheapest MIM Fender.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The guts are not.

Blacktops are a separate subgroup of MIMs and I'm reluctant to recommend them for a variety of reasons.

To me, between the CV Squier and the MP Fenders, from 2 plants that could be across the street from one another but are decidedly not the same source, the CV just kills the MP in every respect.

I like most MIMs a lot. I've still got at least 25 Squiers, though. I'm unsure about the whole Squier vs. MIM thing as a blanket generalization. That's just one step too much generalization since I don't have the person's ability to modify, their musical style, their access to used instruments, or simple things like the size of their hand known in detail to me. So, the result can depend. I'm still avoiding the Chinese ones for "trade" reasons but I fully understand others can't or won't follow.

I think maybe the hardest thing is to help people visualize what it might be like in the realm of instrument manufacture overseas. Observers there tell me what they can (or what they want to) but who really knows.

Where are the videos of Squiers being made, anyway? Ever wonder? :neutral:

11. Brooks

Brooks TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    My thoughts on the MP were greater range of tones and versatility with the pickup set. As of yet no one around has one to check out.

12. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    That's what I mean. I think you're better off putting new pick up Sam. Even really nice pickups, that's what I meant. But you can certainly find some used ones, or inexpensive ones, that are better than the ones that came with your Affinity which let's face it are not exactly stellar.

I'm not trying to sway you, just maybe give you something else to think about as someone who was in your place, and made a certain choice I have been very happy with. Good luck either way.

13. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Oct 2, 2013
    Reno
    You know...three's really only two ways to get the guitar that's really 'right' for you...spend a bunch with one of the boutique fellas and get a custom built to your specs...or mod something you like...to your specs and with a $300.00 budget, well uhh...yeah.

The MIM stuff from the original Ensenada, Baja factory was not too bad but it mysteriously burned down back in the mid 90's and the quality from the new plant has never quite measured up to what they had. A lot of the offerings from Indonesia, Korea and even China recently is every bit as good or better than what Fender brings in from Mexico and you'll pay a bit more for the Fender headstock brand.

I have to agree with Purplegenie here in that, well within your budget, you can have a great tele that's exactly what you want. Teles in general are easy to mod. You can get an entire drop in wiring kit from Six String or Jonseyblues for about $75.00. You get all of the electronics (pots, switch and jack) with quality components and pre wired to your preference (3 way, 4 way etc.). Say $35.00 for a good tuner set and you can get CS pups all day long on the Bay in the 30/50 dollar range. Another ten bucks gets you a set of genuine Fender saddles...with this, you're well under your $300.00 limit.

Now...on the subject of CV's. I own two of them and while I may have lucked out a bit, both of mine are surprisingly fine instruments. I'd advise anyone to buy one...in a New York minute! If you have to have a new one, your money would be well spent on a CV.

Purplegenie said she has yet to walk into a music store and consider walking out with a CV (among others). Of course not! She's an Affinity freak. She'd be looking for another Affinity! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

14. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2005
    Irving, United States of Texas!
    Based on experience, I'd take a Squier Classic Vibe over a Standard "MIM" Tele.

15. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    First, thank you for the color consideration. It's the little things. ;)

I will clarify -- I might -- MIGHT! -- walk out of the store with a CV over an Affinity if it were between just a regular old just-unpacked Affinity and a stock CV hanging on the wall. But now with the small changes I've made, I can't think of trading my special Affinity for a CV.

But yes, ultimately, I am an Affinity freak. You called it.

16. DAA1

DAA1 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    NJ
    I just went through months of playing Teles---MIM, Mod Player, G&L, Squier, Etc, Etc. budget was up to $6-700. I came away with. VB 50s CV Tele--fit, finish, feel, sound,playability was best to me.

17. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Change-out that die-cast trem-block for a milled steel block, to turn up the tone of that Strat. That's when the lower-end Strats start to sound more like the higher-end guitars. Obviously, a good set of MIA pickups is always a worthwhile upgrade.

18. vgp001

vgp001 TDPRI Member

You would think that were a good suggestion across the board, but I did that to one of my MIJ Strats. Switched out the zinc one for a solid steel block. I preferred the way it was.

Doing so "hardened" the tone in an unsatisfying way for me. Some might interpret that as "better." I considered it "different in a bad way." I left it as is and over the years have come to accept it where it is. Even though the memory of the way it was is merely that, a memory.

But....consider the source. I've become an avid mid-late 2000s MIC Squier Affinity Strat devotee. With their skinny zinc (barely-there) inertia blocks.

19. Brooks

Brooks TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for the input all! I am going to mod and love my Affinity until I can afford a true upgrade. I'm thinking pickups, saddles (maybe the whole bridge, might try my hand at converting to a string through) and nut to start. Tuners do the job for now but may switch them out later. Mixed reviews on GFS parts on the forum so any impressions y'all have are appreciated.

Now if an excellent deal on a CV, MIM or MP drops out of the sky there's always room for one more axe in the rack. The challenge is getting it past the missus! :)

20. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    I know this topic is probably been beaten to death... but I still like throwing my 2cents around xD.

Fenders are sooooo hit or miss for me. Im not sure if its the same for everyone else, but country of origin does not seem to matter a whole lot any more. A good axe can come from all places, a bad axe can come from all places.

Ive had squiers that play better than my american deluxes (not joking). Ive had American standards that blow everything away. The key difference was usually hardware quality, and thats a relatively easy fix!

If you love your affinity, and it plays great, the odds are, you're not necessarily going to find a "Better" fender. If it plays great, sounds great, everything is straight and true... its a great platform to build your tone off of.

GFS -> for hardware, best pieces for the money I've ever spent. Their wood parts are kinda "meh", but their hardware is just killer honestly. Their pickups aren't the best, but they are certainly better than the average fender, thats for sure.

You can't buy them at GFS, but you can at guitar center. Get a new nut!!!! I promise it will blow your mind, and they are stupid cheap. (5-8$ for a graphite nut). Takes 5 minutes with a flat board and some sandpaper. Just be sure to take your original nut off and "match it" to the one that you have (they have several types, string spacing changes, curved bottoms, etc someone will help make sure you get the right one). I'll even show you how to fit it properly.

Recommended upgrades to remain cost effective -> *To taste of course. IF you want vintage vibe, this is clearly not the options to choose haha*

Staggered locking tuners 37$ - http://www.guitarfetish.com/Now-STA...-Tuners-Sperzel-Style-String-Lock-_p_514.html

Modern bridge with stainless saddles 24$ - http://www.guitarfetish.com/Modern-...dge-Stainless-Steel-Saddles-chrome_p_501.html

Graphite nut 6$ - http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine-F-Style-Graphite-Slotted-Nut-106362569-i1757456.gc

Pickups -> to taste

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.