Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's better a high end squire or a low end fender?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ACES, Jan 13, 2014.

1. soma

soma TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    berlin

do that.
    todays 'low budget' guitars can be very good. I came across a modern player jaguar the other day that I just had to take home because it was absolutely, staggeringly brilliant. made in china. does it bother me? no.

the issue with models in these range seems to be consistency. single standout instruments do exist.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yikes.

3. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2011
    Maine/Florida
    I agree here. A good Squier may play better and sound just as good as a not so great Fender. But that headstock decal will go a long way in helping the Fender keep its value...

4. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    Not from what I've seen from both local sales & ebay. They both sell for around 70% of the new price.

5. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    Unless you are buying a vintage instrument, or a very high end instrument, NONE of them "hold their value."

Y'all need to get real, here.

6. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Oct 13, 2009
    San Marcos, Ca
    It's all in the Set up!!!

7. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Some might disagree based on that neck pocket photo.

8. vgp001

vgp001 TDPRI Member

Yup.

It's nice for the buyer to be able to maybe find your typical American Standard used for 70% of what a music store's "discount" price would be, but it's almost a shame to see the sellers trying to sell practically UNUSED guitars.

Yeah, I know that as a buyer I would like one that's in as good condition as I could find, but it's almost a shame to see someone pretty much paying $300-$400 dollars just to hold onto an instrument for a few years.

9. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2012
    Shertz, TX
    Neither

A tribute G&L will kick both of their butts into next week.

10. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2013
    Herne Bay
    Yeah, the floor of the pocket is very messy, but the edges are neat and it's the right dimensions - not something that can be said for every Fender!

I might tidy up the scruffy bits with some wood filler, but it functions perfectly as is.

11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Oct 2, 2013
    Reno
    Yeah...do that. It will make the neck foundation a bit more stable not to mention peace of mind.

12. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    I picked up an Affinity Jazz Bass at Guitar Center and was very impressed, then I looked at the headstock and just laughed. It had everything people rave about in the pre CBS basses except the look and cool factor, and it wasn't falling apart.

I'd echo the comments of other posters that say judge guitars as individuals and not the group they belong to.

13. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    OMG! Only a Fender decal can make that acceptable. On a Squier this would be proof they're junk.

14. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    And think of the waste in money on lessons, you can never re-sell those ;)

15. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think it depends on the model. Some of the CVs are nicer than some of the Made-in-China Fender models. So, name on the peghead doesn't really matter much anymore, since Fenders are made all over the world, now days.

16. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    Actually when I talk about losing money on gear it coming from the brutal honesty that once you are on these threads asking a bunch of other GAS addicts for gear advice, well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are a card carrying GAS addict now. And you are going to be blowing a lot of hard earned cash on flipping gear over the coming years. If you don't believe me, come see me in a few years! Soon you will have 10 teles, and then your GAS will move to something else; like the perfect analog delay pedal; the best cables; a better preamp for your studio; microphones....it goes on and on and on. At some point, you'll start selling off gear you are not using and at that point you'll either lose a lot of money, or not so much. Heck, if you invest in undervalued vintage gear; like old Peavey stuff; Electra guitars; lawsuit MIJ (ship has mostly sailed on this stuff, arguably); Riviera era Fender amps; etc., your gear could even go up in value by the time you move to sell it.

So it makes a lot of sense to buy used gear so that when you flip it, you will get most of your money back. When you buy new, you lose more money when you flip it. It's that "driving off the lot" depreciation.

I realize some of you live in other countries or remote locales where this is less plausible. But for most, there are used instruments to be had if you change your priority and stop shopping at Wal Mart of Music.

That said, I will say that sometimes it's worth taking a hit on the depreciation if you are able to find one guitar out of the hundreds you try that you really bond with. There are rare apples of all makes that just resonate.

But if you are looking at a "high end Squier" or "low end Fender" there are plenty of used options out there that you will be able to sell and get most of your money back if you decide you want something nicer. Any you probably will, sooner than later.

17. ModernCellist

ModernCellist TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Philadelphia
    You go into Guitar Center, look up at the wall, and pull down the one that looks back at you. If she bites (sharp frets), move on. If she's sweet, well now you have a connection already.

Best guitar?

The one that stares back.

An instrument isn't simply a tool for a musician, it is a source of inspiration. If it inspires you, take it home. Lots of people want one new in box that wasn't tested by shoppers, but they end up with one with sharp frets, or high action or bad intonation and end up not playing.

If it's your first guitar, play a bunch. Whichever one you don't want to put back, well, don't.

18. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    That's sort of a problem, though -- if it's your first guitar, how are you going to play at all in order to pick one out? That's why the other specs matter in the beginning.

19. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2010
    ohio
    Did you happen to look under the pickguard? I was just wondering if its routed for a HB in the neck or just SC. thanks!

20. tlm3210

tlm3210 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2014
    Middle Earth
    I have both, a low level MIM and a high level Squier. If you want status then Fender is best, if you want the best guitar I think high end Squier, like a CV or Vintage Modified. An Affinity is a low end Squier although there is nothing wrong with them. I have a Bullet I like very much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.