Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What's better a high end squire or a low end fender?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ACES, Jan 13, 2014.

1. ACES

ACES TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Mesa, Az
    I'm looking and wondered what is better for the money. I do like some different models from both is affinity a good squire level. Any answers will help.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Squier Standard
    Squier vintage modified
    Squier Classic Vibe
    Fender MIM

All about the same, i.e., play them and find the right one. Any example could be awesome or have a problem. IMO

3. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ^ What he said. Lots of good options in that $300-$500 price range; it really comes down to what feels and sounds best when you pick it up and play it.

4. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    I actually sold a '52 RI after getting a BSCV, not the same but close enough for me, I only paid $120 for the CV (used) so it was a nice pay day, took a vacation ;-)

Everyones has different needs, goals, and resources ( all of which vary over the years) so I don't think there is a correct answer, you need to suit yourself.

5. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2006
    Chester County, PA
    What waparker said. I've been staying away from the Fender (not Squier) branded Chinese guitars because I feel like the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Squiers are better instruments than the Modern Player Fenders and Made in Mexico Blacktop series.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Blacktop fenders are mim

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I thought the modern players were great and Blacktops are MIM and fine instruments .I have had two with no issues at all other than a tad heavy for me hence both sold .I may well order a Blacktop strat neck as they are very good and 22 fret .

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +3

I went through this exact exercise about a year ago for my first tele (same price range). I played a heck of a lot of them and I think it really is going to depend on what feels good to you and what your particular taste is.

It was a heck of a lot of fun, so enjoy the pursuit!

9. brn2run

brn2run TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Ok, I am just speaking from my limited experience while shopping
    for my first telecaster last summer. I felt that the Indonesian made teles
    had better finishing and fret work on the necks than the Mexican or
    Chinese. I wanted a Mexican tele but could not find one without terrible
    fret edges. Obviously there is a difference in the quality of pick-ups used.
    I don't think that at this price point you can just order something off of
    the internet and expect it to come to you feeling and sounding great.
    You'll want to play as many examples as you can to find the one.

In the end it all comes down to what feels best and sounds best to you.
    Which is why I bought a G&L asat tribute.

10. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland
    +4

Have a list of what you want to try, and go try them out! IMO the best one "for the money" is usually the one you try out and take up to the counter. Good luck!

11. ACES

ACES TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Mesa, Az
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep shopping, so far I like this Samick Artiist Series I'm drawn to but by the time I have the money it probably will be gone.

12. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2008
    Huntsville, AL.
    If future resale figures into your equation, I'd suggest to you that a low end Fender will most always be a better investment than a high end Squier.

13. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2012
    Washington
    I think that just about the only bad option is a Fender Starcaster. Partly because of the ugly headstock, partly because I don't like how the back of the neck feels. It's pretty much a Squier Affinity, if I recall right, with a couple small differences.

14. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2013
    Herne Bay
    My personal experience is that the Squier Classic Vibe range trumps the Mexican Fender guitars I've played, but then of course like most people I've hardly played a huge sample.

Does anyone know if the Fender Modern Player range are made in the same factory as the Squier CVs? It would seem logical, but I don't know for sure.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Welcome to TDPRI ACES and good luck with your hunt. You can find nice guitars in any of the Squier lines and many of the MIM models as well. Play them until you find one that say "take me home".

And before the spelling ****s descend on you in mass let me gently tell you that Squier is spelled this way, not Squire.

17. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    A couple of other things that might be worth considering…

I would've thought that since most necks are CNC'd these days that they'd be all the same. Looks like there are slight variances in the neck profiles depending on which factory (country) they come from. I've previously read that the neck on the Deluxe Nashville Tele MIM plays really well. When mine arrived just recently I wasn't disappointed. This one didn't have any sharp fret edges that others have encountered. In comparison, the neck on my (lower end) Squier Tele California Series MIC feels fatter with a flatter radius with slightly thinner frets. I prefer the MIM neck by far… when I swap guitars I fall into my groove with the MIM neck immediately, whereas have to re-acquaint myself for a minute or two with the Squier neck. It's a subjective thing of course, but I agree with what others have said… try them out and get the one that feels right to you.

Pick-ups and hardware you can easily change, but the feel of the neck is paramount - and we all have different shaped hands.

Check the body wood too. My Squier is Alder whereas the Nashville Deluxe MIM comes either in Alder or Ash - I chose Ash. They both sound great in their own way… the Squier Alder body sounds rounder with thicker mids… the Nashville Ash body sounds brighter with a tad more sparkle on the highs. Sustain is about the same, but I can feel the body and neck resonating on the Nashville while playing, whereas the Alder Squier doesn't move at all.

The label on the neck really shouldn't matter when it comes to your own personal playability, but the Fender logo has strength on resale like Five-O already mentioned.

Cheers

18. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2009
    north alabama
    Define better. To me,guitars are like food. What's the best to me might be slop to another. IMHO there is no good,better,or best guitar. There's whatever one that gets the job done in a way that I want it to. I say all that to say this...play a bunch of them and get the one you like the most regardless of what name is on the headstock.

19. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2013
    Herne Bay
    There are some that are finished/built properly though, and some that aren't. My experience, and others' mileage may vary, is that my two Squier CVC Teles have a better fit and finish than the Mexican Fenders I've played, particularly a Mexican 60's Strat I played which had very poor fretwork.

Actually the other (very small) Squier line that trumps many Fenders I've played is the Deluxe range. I had the Daphne Blue one and it was lovely.

I did have a Fender Mexican Nashville Tele in about 2006 that was really nice, although that's higher up the line. Got stolen, alas! :(

20. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    We are spoiled for choice these days. Brand names in guitars mattered 40 years ago, not so much today. The really hard part in deciding is in addressing your own pre-conceptions. If you believe a Fender MIA is better than a Squier (note spelling), then you will hear a difference. A truly blindfold sound test will not tell you much. The quality difference is felt in the fingers. Shut your eyes, tell your friends not to tell you anything about what you are playing. Let your fingers and your ears make the choice. But beware - you may end up with a Squier Affinity!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.