What're your favorite matched Tele pickup sets

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by aalcantara, May 11, 2019.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

I have tried Texas Specials in many Telecasters; most of them being Ash or alder with a maple neck. Never was very impressed. Then, I installed them in a Telecaster with an alder body and rosewood fretboard. Those pickups came to life. They didn't twang much; but had a nice, warm, smooth tone with plenty of bite.

guitarmikey likes this.
  2. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

I believe that. That's why I made the fingerboard specification! I have another korean squier - maple neck with bridge original pup and added SH1 in neck, different animal. For rosewood the pair I mentioned sound great!

3. Butch Snyder

UPDATE:

I needed to re-evaluate my choices. I re-installed the stock pickups that came in my 50s Baja Tele. That Tele is a 2006 production model, the first year the Baja was made. They didn't call them 50s Baja Telecaster then; just "Baja" Telecasters. The stock pickups are the same now as they were in 2006; Bridge - CS Broadcaster, Neck - Twisted Tele. In an ash body with a maple neck/fretboard, these pickups are great.

4. Nelg

Nelg Tele-Meister

Lots of great choices out there and I've tried a bunch. Here are my thoughts on a few favorites.

Don Mare Hayride - best middle position and has the most woody thump to them

OC Duff, Big Boy/Plankster - My favorite bridge pickup and best volume balance between the pickups.

Lollar Vintage T - most old timey sounding.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Surprised to see such a lack of Keystone love . I only saw them mentioned here once, as "runner-ups".
    Time was you'd hear people praise the keystones all the day long. I'm aware there was at least one very notable detractor, but in general, they seemed well-loved by many here. Just is kind of funny how the collective common consciousness/wisdom changes over time.

Confession- I have a set of Keystones, but I've never heard them. Never got them into a guit.

6. Butch Snyder

To be honest, I have never tried any pickups from Bill Lawrence (Willi Stich) or Bill Lawrence USA (that's a weird situation if you ever read about it). in the past, I held a slight interest in them; but to me, they always looked cheap. I was used to Seymour Duncans; which, to me, always looked much better made. Again, that's just my experience and opinion.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd have figured that weird air would have been all cleared up by now, since THE Bill (of Bill&Becky) passed some time back now.

8. Butch Snyder

It has, however, I'm talking about the actual time way back when.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.