Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Wood is This?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SonicDiveBomb, Sep 8, 2017.

1. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Saw it in half so I can see the inside, then I can tell ya for sure...

SonicDiveBomb likes this.

2. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    On it!

Btw, there’s a 1978 on reverb that appears to be ash... wondering if they did in fact use ash in the latter years of the 70’s?
    IMG_6021.JPG IMG_6020.JPG

3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    If it's got the original WRHB's whatever wood it is, likely a killer axe. Boat anchor? Probably ash. Had a 70's ash Strat and it weighed a ton.

4. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Mine actually only ways about 8 or 9 lbs... about as heavy as my 2013 american std. so maybe it’s alder after all!

5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Your dyslexia can be dealt with successfully .

6. MrYeats

MrYeats TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Texas Coast
    how much does it weigh? Ash is heavy Poplar is light as is alder.
    In 70's they did not use alder or poplar, just ash and mahogany, which it is not. Possibly maple, on a stretch.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I was going to ask why you couldn't just tell by the sound, but a friend has 2 killer Schecters made w Northern Ash as opposed to Swamp Ash and they sound much less different compared to Alder. No pop. Did Fender switch Ash species during this period ? ... I ve never seen an Alder that wasn t painted, does the grain look like Ash?

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I tend to disagree.

I find that alder, as used in guitars is a middling to middling heavy body wood, and poplar can be a hair lighter in weight, but there's a huge amount of overlap.

Meanwhile, ash is the "could weigh anything" wood. Obscenely heavy, or almost too light for some folks' tastes. And thus, while a few ash Teles are comparable in weight to those of alder and poplar, the ash ones are often the crazy heavy and the cotton candy light weight ones as well.

Mr Green Genes and Teleterr like this.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think this one is alder.

Strongly doubt this one is ash. And it seems to have too much visible grain on the back, showing through the toner, to be poplar. Worked with a lot of poplar and you see streaks of black, and streaks of "green" but you don't see vivid grain.

The '78 shown later in the thread is clearly quintessential ash. Look at that open grain, where the line is sharp on one side of the pores and tapers off more gradually on the opposing side of the pore line.

As for Fender ever quitting alder altogether, that's just not likely. It is just too useful and the supply is solid.

10. sabby

sabby Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2005
    Youngstown, Ohio
    The figuring on the back sure looks like alder to me.

11. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Please for the love of all that is holy stop with the cheese lefty jokes. They've been beaten into submission years ago.

But a birth year 75 AND a lefty Deluxe??? OMG you got the motherload there! I am extremely jealous! Sorry I can't help you identify the wood, I'm here to envy and that is all. Very sweet guitar!

boris bubbanov and SonicDiveBomb like this.

12. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    I definitely got super lucky. Thank you! These are very very hard to find lefty... I actually imported it from Australia!!! It’s the only one on the entire internet I could find

Nubs likes this.

13. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Yeah man, don't I know it. It was a search to get my Custom...definitely not common by any means. Hang on to that baby!

14. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas

For the record, I'm also a lefty, but for some reason, I play guitar right handed.

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Steve Morris too. Great idea. I m a righty too. I made a bass .After just two weeks my right hand fingers could play like a pro jazz bassist. It took my left hand many, many years to get to the same level.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.