Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What was your first pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Big_Bend, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Direwolf

Direwolf Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 16, 2009
    Louisiana
    My first was a Crybaby in the early '70s. Still have it. Shortly after that I got a Small Stone phase shifter. That got destroyed somehow.

2. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    Boss mt2. Sounded great on my old Marshall. Haven't tried it yet on my new BJIII though.

3. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I got one of the Maestro Fuzz Tone boxes in 1967 (or around there anyway) and I remember that inside the box were instructions on how to use it to make the sounds of various horns: trumpets, saxophones, etc. You could get the "satisfaction" tone with it, that's for sure.

I also had one of the Univox Super Fuzz boxes where you had a choice between two bee-in-a-jar tones. I too didn't use another pedal for years after that. I remember when seemingly everyone in bar bands was using phase shifters in the mid to late 70's. I remember borrowing a friend's unit, an MXR, and fooling around with it at home. My wife at the time walked through the room and said: "That thing makes you sound like a lounge act".

4. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    One of these.
    Ibanez 'Standard' Fuzz.

[​IMG]

Wish I still had it

5. Eric W

Eric W Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2010
    Toledo, OH
    MXR "Command Series" Phaser. Traded it even up for a used EH Small Clone (yup it was the early 80's)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

6. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2010
    Boone, NC

Same here, wish I still had it.

7. guitarbiker

guitarbiker Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2009
    ontario
    1971 roland sustainer pedal. A compressor basically. It was huge!

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Oh, some no-name '60s fuzz-wah pedal that's long gone and probably worth a fortune now. It had big rubber circles on the footpedal...

9. MegaPaisley

MegaPaisley TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Exmore, Virginia
    Bought my first pedal back in 99, A Boss DS1. I heard Andy Timmons and wanted to play guitar with that sound so I begged for one. Sold it years later when I started using a MT2. Just bought a used ds1 to help a friend out, still sucks lol

10. IdahoPicker

IdahoPicker Tele-Afflicted

Jun 20, 2009
    North Idaho
    Boss BD-2. Bought it in '99 when I was still rocking my first amp: a Marshall VS-15. I still have the pedal, and it's still a mainstay in my tone.

11. Old Mother Hell

Old Mother Hell Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Mine is an Ibanez PM7 phase modulator. Not much of an effects person, me. This one has those new-fangled 'tone lock' things. Does what it says on the tin, I suppose.

12. K Scott

K Scott TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mine was the exotic Boss DS-1. Still have it. Love/Hate relationship for sure haha.

13. DenisS

DenisS Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2009
    USA
    Univox fuzz. About 1970, I think it was.

14. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2009
    Germany
    My first one was a Boss DS-1 and i still hate the sound of this pedal...

15. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    New York City
    A weird wha wha that had a button on the side that made a siren sound! 70's awesome - I so wish I'd kept it

Woooooh woooooh

16. sean001

sean001 Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Gilberts, Illinois
    Gibson Maestro Fuzz.

I was rocking an Ibanez Iceman into a Maestro Fuzz into a roll and tuck Kustom 65

17. terminiola

terminiola Tele-Meister

Dec 13, 2009
    Altadena, California
    Mid-70s Big Muff Pi, stolen by cousin Gino, never returned. Then an MXR Distortion+, the yellow one with only the 9V battery power, no adaptor plug.

Found it recently and plugged it in after 25 years of non-use, didn't sound bad at all.

18. 74 Deluxe

74 Deluxe Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    Illinois
    Morley EVO-1 oilcan echo. Sometime around 75-76... Still have it, needs work but she's all there. Been getting ready to order some of the special oil for it from that cat on ebay...

19. spider62

spider62 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2010
    jacksonville,florida
    First Pedals

A EH small stone phaser& and a early 80's Proco Rat. Still have and love the rat wish i still had the small stone!:rolleyes:

20. billmag

billmag TDPRI Member

A Boss Delay DM-2 I bought used in 1982 for $50...I still have it. It doesn't get used much...only when I want good slapback or that dark echo. I can't believe the $$$ these go for nowadays!
    I also had an MXR Phase 90 (script)...sold that back then but again, the $$$ for one of those oldies now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.