Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What was the best guitar you bought this year?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    That's the story.

Page acquired a Gibson EDS 1275 to perform all his live 12 string stuff, but the Zep recordings are layered with 1965 Fender Electric XII.

Stairway is one thing, but "when The Levee Breaks" is another. To me that tune is one of the greatest recordings ever. Tuned in a double F Major Triad, F-A-C-F-A-C, the guitar (a 12 string Fender) has one one mean tone. While some many associate Page with a Les Paul, Telecaster, and the Gibson Double Neck, his use of the Fender XII is truly intriguing and amazing to say the least.

I believe there are two known Zeppelin concerts where the performance of When The Levee Breaks was attempted. Then never again. The strange thing is Zrp performed the tune in G where it was recorded in F. For what reason did they perform the tune in G? And for what reason did Page and company not make more of an effort at performing one the greatest rock recordings of all time? Page's story is that it was too hard to pull off Levee live.

Otherwise, the poor Fender Electric XII, manufactured for only four years is banished to an obscure place in history as an overlooked guitar that is responsible for at least two of the most influential recordings in Rock History.

2. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2008
    Ontario
    Cool info, thanks. The tuning I've seen elsewhere for WTLB is CFCFAC (open F). Maybe Page was using open G (DGDGBD) as a convenience live and it didn't work out for him.

3. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2010
    Dublin ireland
    In 2012 it was this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 2013 so far its this one

[​IMG]

4. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    You know, I've played around with the low C Open F tuning. It tends to work better for the acoustic "English Folk" stuff that Page adopted from the likes of Bert Jansch than applied to the set up of slinky electric guitar, let alone an electric 12 string. It's a bit on the floppy side, putting the old Fender XII down two whole steps. I found that tuning the low string to F works much better, regardless of what history says. If Page tuned the guitar with a low C, to my ear, I can't say he played it. Most of WTLB is played from the top four strings.

Perhaps that matter of Zeppelin not playing the song live had more to do with Plant's Harmonica playing than Page's guitar issues. Transposed, for the key of F, a Blues Harmonica Player would use a Bb Major harp. For the key of G he would use a C Major harp. But they should feel the same to the mouth. And to my memory, Plant doesn't blow the harp much after 1970. Perhaps another issue is Plant could not sing the song in the Key of F?

Whatever the case When The Levee Breaks remains one of the greatest recordings in Rock.

5. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Tell more about that case for the Jr. It looks sweet!

6. taxer

taxer Banned

May 11, 2009
    new york
    I'm another guy who jumped on the fantastic Gibson blow out sales at the end of the year.

My 2012 SG is not only the best I got this year, it's one of the best for any year. SGs...some guitar and the Gibson build is beautiful.

[​IMG]

7. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

May 24, 2012
    Kansas City
    The best guitar I "got" this year was the one I won in a contest. My Lag Tramontane t400dce.

[​IMG]

8. nrand

nrand Friend of Leo's

This year is not yet three weeks old and I promised to stop buying guitars, so . . ..

Only this; a 1974 Kasuga Mandolin, . . So my son and I are going to learn mandolin together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sonorite

sonorite NEW MEMBER!

Jan 29, 2013
    Portland

10. torresfan

torresfan Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2010
    Ireland
    Bought a couple of weeks ago, a Rickenbacker 360.

[​IMG]

11. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2012
    Sudbury
    My Canadian Breed TClass Thinline was tops out of '12.

For something off the shelf, it has to be my Reverend Flatroc 15th Anniversary.

12. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2008
    Liberty Center, Ohio
    My best purchase was the Sonic Blue Fender Cobain Mustang.

Attached Files:

13. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    [​IMG]
    Warmoth Black Korina body, Fender Tele neck, Seymour Duncan pickups.
    [​IMG]
    Edenhaus body and neck build, Seymour Duncan pickups.
    [​IMG]
    Warmoth chambered Swamp Ash body, Edenhaus neck, Seymour Duncan pickups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme highly modified with seymour Duncan pickups, Wilkinson brass roller bridge, brass machined stop tailpiece and Schaller strap locks.

14. kentieb

kentieb TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2011
    oregon
    no

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

15. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2010
    Dublin ireland
    That's the Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul junior & matching case
    To be honest, I bought it for the case :D

16. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    I already posted in this thread, but without a picture. So here it is, the best guitar I bought in 2012 - my '06 Les Paul R8.

[​IMG]

17. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2005
    Ohio
    I only bought one guitar in 2012, and it's the first guitar I've bought since 2009, but it's a Collings OM1.

[​IMG]

18. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Easy my 07 PRS Custom 24!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. lespaul_79

lespaul_79 Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Colorado

20. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Oh really?

[​IMG]
    Pete Townshend used (and continues to use) a XII on "Tommy", "Who's next", "Quadrophenia" and "Lifehouse" it's all over those albums.

Also Page hasn't abandoned his XII.

Did I forget anything?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.