Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Vox Speaker did I get?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Wicked-T, May 16, 2018.

1. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    I received this today and it's a Vox Jenning 10 inch speaker, it's a Alnico has a
    nice cone but don't know much else about it. Maybe you guy's could help. Believe
    it or not I'm putting it into a Thomas Vox Solid State Pacemaker.

Attached Files:

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Thomas used similar speakers in the tube versions of their various small amps, they were imported from the UK and despite looking much like Goodman's products (which Jennings often used in less expensive amps) most were Celestions, the tube Pathfinder had a similar speaker often w/o the bell cover but w/ a sticker.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Wicked-T likes this.

4. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Is it a good speaker?I do see them in a few of their amps.

5. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, but I think maybe it's been reconed, with a USA-made cone kit. The Vox Elac would normally have a smooth cone, and a light-colored gasket.

7. David Barnett

Also it might be good to know whether it's got an 8-ohm or 16-ohm coil. The UK Vox amps usually used 16-ohm ones, and the Thomas Vox amps are set up for an 8-ohm load.

Wicked-T likes this.

8. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    I kinda figured, after I read you info I did a search and they all have smooth
    cones, I wonder what the wattage is for these speaker? I had a Kendrick Black
    frame in there and put this in even with the solid state it does jangle.

9. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    It measured 7.4 ohm on my meter.

10. David Barnett

You're good to go then.

11. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Thank you sounds good.

12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Elac were a workmanlike maker of speakers. Goodman's and Celestion are probably a bit more like the Electrovoice and JBL. A lot of Selmers and the small UK Vox amps came with 4, 6 or 8" Elacs, which were mantle radio speakers. I played a Selmer Triumph which had 2 EL84s rated about 12 watts with three Elac oval 3 x 6" speakers. Quite a unique compressed tone - not that loud.

That one judging by voice coil size is probably good to about 15wrms, 20-25 watts peak. Probably decent - all those speakers, like the Goodman's Audioms (and Jensens)were not specific guitar speakers. Indeed, Celestion Blues weren't originally either. Flat cones tended to be used as bass woofers (that was 10" back then) but there's no reason not to use it.

Wicked-T likes this.

13. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    My amp is about 17 watts so it should be good.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'm not sure that is a 17w power handling speaker though, given that the 12" alnico Celestions were 15w speakers with much larger magnets and voice coils.
    Hard to say what the recone used for a VC, could be kapton for a little more power handling.
    Just don't turn it up all the way!
    Cool looking speaker...

15. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    I've been playing it and it's a bit bass heavy. maybe the amp is to much for it,
    the high's are great nice little jangle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.