What USA Tele is closest to a CV VB 50s ?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by upsetter, Mar 16, 2019.

1. upsetter

upsetter TDPRI Member

Long time lurker. First ever post.......

I’ve got a CV vintage blonde 50s, which I love. I’ve had it for ten years. However, I’ve always wanted a US made telecaster and round about August time I will have the means to get one, up to around £1000 Sterling. Is there any of the US made telecasters that’s similar to the classic vibe 50s for playability?

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure Fender make a pine body thin c necked tele these days. Maybe a custom shop model? I'd just build a similar partscaster, maybe put a allparts neck of similar specs?

I also own a CV 50's blonde tele and love it.

3. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome Sir! I love my CV Tele, do you have a good amp, if not, I'd spend that 1300.00 bucks on an Amp! Or split it on a Player Series Tele, and Amp;),, just my 2c's

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I nominally agree on this.
    If you've always wanted a US tele, you may be disappointed with just snagging something online. I'd advise playing the snot out of whichever ones you can fi d used and build an idea off of them.

But an amp that works good with the tele is amazing. I can live my whole life with just Mexican and Japanese fender guitars, but great amps for a tele makes said tele get played more. Even my favorite amps dont work as well for my tele as my old ab165 '68 bassman did.

Shuster likes this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

It's good that you like your current guitar but I would say to experiment a little. Try different necks, pickups etc. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you find yourself liking

6. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Welcome to TDPRI! And it is of course not the exact American equivalent of the CV, but a new Performer series Tele is in your price range. It's got the vintage style three saddle bridge and it's just a very nice guitar. I got one and love mine.

Tele on the floor.jpg

hdvades likes this.
  7. mally

mally Tele-Holic

save your money ! Buy a 50p Fender transfer and sand it off if you ever sell it

8. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Probably an American Original 50s, but it has a bigger neck. You should also consider the MIM Classic 50s or the Classic Player Baja. The Classic 50s is maybe the closest to the CV other than the vintage radius.

9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

This is the answer to your question. The 9.5 radius on yours can be found in quite a few models now, the AO and American Performer being the ones made in USA. Though others are giving you some really good advice too. Consider potential amp needs and/or letting the guitar find you, regardless of where it was made.

I’d also encourage you to look at used Thin Skins. They’d check your boxes too and are exceptional quality.

10. upsetter

upsetter TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried out a American Special for the first time today, lovely guitar, but the neck felt a bit “chunkier” than on the CV hence me wondering.

11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I suppose most (if not all) American Fenders will have chunkier necks than the CV.

But now you have me wondering. Usually people are looking for a Squier that resembles a Mexican, American or Custom Shop tele and not the other way around. If you like the CV neck, why not just buy a CV, and keep the remaining budget for a future purchase?

I tried an American Special once, and I must say, I really, really wanted it. I couldn't afford it. Now I have a modest telecaster collection, mostly Squiers, and a few Fenders. I'm not sure I would still buy it. All my needs are easily fullfilled with the guitars I already have.

12. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Wanna give some thoughts on amps that work good with the tele? Just curious.

13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

AB165 circuit bassman 50 (bf or sf, same inside) is the most basic way I've found so far to get a wide array of what a tele can do out of an amp with just the tele and the head&cab. 4x12 and 2x12 both sounded great.
    Between noon and 3 o clock on the volume was the sweet spot on mine, but that's not exactly practical for everyone.
    By contrast, my Fender 75 is a pain to dial in for the tele to sound right, as its dialed in for the Gibson 57s in my toronado.
    Hot rod deluxe requires less effort to get good sounds, but it wasn't hitting the level of good cleans or the breakup sound compared to the bassman.
    I'd say that the 59RI bass and also sound nice with a tele. Ditto for the standards like a Princeton reverb, deluxe reverb, I suppose twins.for tiny amps, valve jrs aren't exactly a wide tonal pallet, but work better at bringing out great tone than my Bugera V5 from a tele... the crunch from the bridge pickup was sweeter from the valve jr.
    Peavey classic series are good as well, theres a different texture when running those classic cleans outta the neck pickup than with fenders, and with the volume sitting around 1 o clock (it really does go to 12) on clean channel, its loud enough for most non-hall gigs and stays clean. The gain channel I still haven't dialed in what I'd say is perfect for a tele, but I didn't buy it for a gain channel per se. Marshall old stuff kinda colors what the neck pickup is known for alot, which can be good or bad.

Simple controls where you can get distinctive sounds from the pickups and shape with minimal adjustments is ideal. That's just me though, some people like turning knobs on amps, I like turning the 1 on the guitar as I'm playing. Matter or taste.
    If you haven't tried one yet, give a Supro Blues king a run with a tele, another amp that makes dynamics and your tone knob get to control alot.

14. upsetter

upsetter TDPRI Member

Ive got a CV mate. I love it. Unfortunately due to space issues if I get an new electric guitar I will reluctantly have to part with it. I've always wanted a USA Made Telecaster, so its kind of a "dream guitar" scenario really, but there's nothing wrong with the CV so a USA Tele that is close to the CV is what I was looking for, initially. Ill probably just try loads out, thats the best advice I suppose.

nicod98 likes this.
  15. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

That thinner profile neck on the CV Teles is what kept me from buying one. Chunkier is what I prefer, but I can deal with any neck profile other than a slim profile.

16. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

In that scenario, I really understand it. I probably will buy an American made Fender Tele someday, but it's not like I have to have one. But I understand the drift now.

It's all about preferences. I don't mind if people test them out, and decide that the neck does not fit them. I do hate it if people dismiss of a guitar because it is a Squier.

17. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

That would not be me. I have five Squires.

nicod98 likes this.
  18. Archimaedes

Archimaedes TDPRI Member

I see alot of dislike for the thin neck on the CV tele, but I love the thing. I have average sized hands, but I grip the neck like a baseball bat so the thinner neck works well for my "playing" style. It's the main reason I haven't replace this tele with a Fender

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.