Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What, to you, is just a complete waste of money?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Another thread (about $300 sunglasses) got me thinking... there's usually something that somebody will spend a TON of money on, that others think is ridiculous.

For me, it's the $25,000 (or whatever) wedding. Really? I know it's a special event... well, it should be, but of course we know half end in divorce. But seriously, $25k, $35k or more?? For something that lasts a few hours? And it's one thing if you're a millionaire or something, but I know a lot of definitely 'middle-income' people who have dropped some serious coin on a wedding.

I find that ridiculous. That's just me.

On the other hand, I'll spend money on something that, after I examine it, seems pretty ridiculous. My wife and I used to eat out all the time, we're talking multiple times a week. Now we've gotten it down to 2-4 x per month or so.

But dropping $50 (or more) on a meal for two? Pretty dumb actually. I'll still do it occasionally nonetheless--we enjoy it. I guess from that perspective, maybe it's not a waste of money. Maybe if you look at going out to eat as a 'mini-vacation' for a couple of hours... then, is it money well spent?

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
  3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

some of the outlandishly expensive fireworks shows for civic events.....

places trying to out do each other with firework shows.. mhea..

up in smoke.... awwww ain't it purdy...;)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    I agree about the $300 sunglasses and the $25,000 weddings. Also the $5,000 guitars and frequent dinners out. I'd add to that list bunch of things I find to be a complete waste of money (and usually time, attention and space): cable TV, new cars, mcmansions, designer clothes, $350 haircuts, giant SUVs. Also effects pedals and bottles of wine that cost more than $200. Most family vacations would also fall into this category, except they seem to please my wife, so I guess that's worth at least a portion of the time and expense.

Bah, Humbug! OK, your turn.

6. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

May 30, 2012
    Canada
    Buying beverages when you go out to eat especially if you're just looking for a quick quality meal. POP/soda can cost over 6 bucks and coffee is definitely a known way they get you on breakfast costs. Beware the $3.99 breakfast, It can easily go over $20 for two. Order water...Have a coffee when you get home if that is your thing. That of course depends on the restaurent.

7. Togman

Togman Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgshire, UK
    Designer clothes.
    Renting anything (Car, TV, House etc.)

8. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Huge TV's and super cable packages with 1,000+ channels. Heck, anything I can't afford really... haha

9. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I sure wish my daughter agreed with you. But some things are just no-win arguments. Would have much rather given them the money as a "nest egg". But they have a great marriage and a beautiful daughter, so I can't complain too much. :)

10. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 1, 2013
    New Jersey
    Jewelery. Money invested in precious metals and fine gems, stored properly, makes sense as a fairly safe hedge against inflation, but to wear thousands of dollars out and about just for show is idiotic, and cheap bling can look shabby chic.

11. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Exercise equipment.

Just go for a good long brisk walk.

12. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    Dexter, MI, USA
    I've got a mechanical background, I can see appreciating thing just because of the intricacies of this that and the other thing. But I just do not see the fascination with expensive watches.

Then again, I don't own ANY watches so maybe I'm biased.

13. The String King

The String King Tele-Afflicted

Mar 6, 2006
    England.
    Modern cars, expensive clothes, fast food, make up, hair cuts, and anything made by Silverline tools.

14. The String King

The String King Tele-Afflicted

Mar 6, 2006
    England.
    I'm with you here. A guy I know, (tax accountant), has a watch that is appreciating in value.

SO WHY IS IT ON HIS WRIST?

Surely investments should be in the bank? But then again I am skint so what do I know :D

15. joelstrummer

joelstrummer Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    First thing I thought of when I read the thread title was weddings. And it's a particular personal and painful topic for me (my girlfriend and I will likely be tying the knot in the next 1-2 years... literally, poor me! :cry:;))

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  17. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Gambling seems much like lighting money on fire and throwing it out the car window.

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Friend of Leo's

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Bottled water total waste of money. I will also agree with expensive sunglasses except MAUI JIM"S but that's only if there bought in Maui. I guess I should add most tools from Stew-mac.

19. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2008
    Ontario
    Ditto on gambling.

Smoking. Stupidest waste of money and life ever devised.

An old friend was still paying off his wedding when his divorce came through. Dumb.

20. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

There are many things I see as a waste of money but frequently eating out is a huge waste of money IMHO. My ex-girlfriend and I would go out to eat a few times a week and the tab was always around $60. When you add it up and realize you're spending over $700 a month with zero to show for it you feel a little dumb.

Lavish vacations and golf are on my list as well. Last year someone wanted me to split the gas to drive 375 miles and play a $75 round of golf :eek: . I passed on that one.

I do own a $170 pair of sunglasses but I take very good care of them and they look just as new as the day I bought them 5 years ago.

21. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.