Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What to do with old neck with worn frets?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by overlook1977, Jun 30, 2018.

1. overlook1977

overlook1977 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2010
    Raleigh NC
    I have a 2010 American Strat maple neck that has some significant fret wear (frets worn flat in several areas and feel really low). I replaced the neck with a nice Warmoth one but I'm wondering what to do with this old neck. I understand keeping it could help with resale value of the guitar, but besides that would the old neck have much resale value? I have had guitar techs tell me they refuse to refret maple necks.

2. They must be to worn to relevel and recrown. If so, take it to a luthier or better tech. Nothing lost for someone to at least try.

3. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Yes, have it re-fretted, and if you like it better than the Warmoth, then put it back on your guitar.

jb

schmee and rich815 like this.

4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have seen them used as coat/key racks, (drill a hole thru the neck and & two 2" long 1/2 dowels to get "stand off" and attach it to the wall using long molly bolts. Place some hooks neatly into the fret board. I have also seen them used as door handles.

I would probably keep it for resale, or sell it as a project for some one, I'm the type of person who would buy such a thing for $25 bolt it up to a cheep body and futz aground w/ the setup untill i got something playable.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I've had maple necks re-fretted before. You may have to send it somewhere besides a local luthier. But, it can be done.

I would keep the neck even if you don't have the fret work done. If you ever sell the guitar, someone else may choose to have it done.

Kind of an expensive coat rack or door handle. Unless it's twisted or warped.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Find a REAL tech and not the CLOWN who refused to refret your maple neck

7. galaxiex

galaxiex TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Give it to me. ;)

aerhed likes this.

8. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    I have an old musicmaster bass neck (warped beyond repair) leaning on the wall next to the door of my apartment. Burglars and all, you know?

SPUDCASTER and stratoman1 like this.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Is this the same "tech" who, in another thread, said that Strats shouldn't have heavy strings?
    Where the f$%& are these clowns coming from?

schmee likes this.

10. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Totally agree. Easy peasy refret.

11. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I researched this recently as I have a Strat partscaster with a maple Squier neck I’m looking to possibly replace. Cheapest used options either need a major redressing or complete re-fret jobs. You’re appears to be the latter. The refretting costs estimates I found ranged from $200-350 or more especially with someone with a plek machine, which was recommended. A decent used American neck costs about the same. I’d keep it to offer as part of your re-sell later. It won’t hurt and possible could add $50 or more to the price someone might pay which seems more than you could sell it for now.

12. Antmax

Antmax TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Sacramento
    Use it as a guinea pig and practice your guitar tech skills. If I had one I'd do it, I'd offer to buy yours if you sold it really cheap. The Japanese les paul I did took me about 3 days and cost me about $150 to do myself (most of that was for the fret end snippers, fret caul and cheap Chinese Drill press). You can buy the fret wire pre radiused from places like Philadelphia luthier tools for less than $15

The Les Paul, I did it with super jumbo EVO wire which is between regular nickel silver and Stainless Steel in hardness. It took a long time because I was a bit nervous and timid on the fret ends lol. I reckon I spent about 6 hours with the bevel file filing them down flush with the neck when if I knew what I was doing I'd have cut them much closer and spent 60 - 90 mins.

it's really not too hard. Would probably take me a day to do it properly now that I have done one. The EVO wire is harder so needs more work refretting, but the hardness means that the frets need less dress work as they are almost all level and don't dent or scratch easily when you insert them.

I'd refret it and put it on a frankenstrat. If it comes out superb you can always switch it back on your old guitar.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    netgear69 likes this.

13. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

May 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Mick Jagger had a good suggestion in Bloom County: " 'Ave you ever snorted a fifth of Chivas through a guitar neck?"

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Get them levelled. I like low frets. Smooth and fast.

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If your axe handle used to be a guitar neck.

YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK!:D

17. galaxiex

galaxiex TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.

18. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca
    Get a cheap tele body from GFS and build a dedicated slide guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.