Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What to do in Central(?) Cali?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WineCaster, Oct 3, 2017.

1. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Hey folks!

I’m marrying a woman who accepts my “habit” and we’re honeymooning in California. We’re both from WI and are going to Yosemite National Park around Oct. 16th. We have two weeks to do whatever the dang heck we want.

We’ll be renting a car and probably checking out Sequoia National Park as well, but we need some ideas! Checking on Google maps, I see Bakersfield is close. Any Buck Owens ties worth checking out? We’re outdoors folks but don’t mind heading to the city if we feel so motivated to (here’s where you come in).

I’d like to check out Los Angeles so bonus points to music or Dog Town culture recommendations.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

Let me suggest that Los Angeles is a seriously long ride from Yosemite.

If you're both outdoors types, there's just no way to make an argument for Bakersfield or any of the other Interior Valley cities. There's just too much to do in the Sierras, and too little to do in these "working" towns.

Just watch the weather. I've nearly been snowed in up there, this time of year. If you get an urge to explore, consider going to Central Coastal California. Paso Robles and all that around there. Access to the ocean, more wineries than you could get to in 2 months, the Hearst Castle, just gorgeous but don't forget that Highway 1 is closed for the time being in Monterrey Country. Down towards Santa Barbara, if you have time.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Toto'sDad, P Thought and xafinity like this.

3. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    This is the kind of information I was hoping to get by starting this thread— and from the guy who I recognize as the guru of Baja Tele’s... good sir!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

4. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Boris has some wonderful ideas, and good warnings about weather. A few other ideas off the top of my head: Consider Mono Lake or the whole eastern Sierra which is amazing. Bodie is a cool ghost town too. And if you have time a drive up and a day or two or three around Lake Tahoe will be breathtaking. Rent mountain bikes in South Lake or Tahoe City and drive up to Spooner Lake and ride the flume trail down to the lake. Amazing ride. Just south of Tahoe is Markleeville which is near Grover Hot Springs State Park with a wonderful hot spring and a gorgeous pool filled with snow run off. Talk about relaxing and refreshing. We camped there this last summer. Terrific place.

WineCaster likes this.

5. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    We live just north of Fresno and I would suggest staying in the mountains or hitting San Fran or the coast. There's nothing special to do in the Central Valley unless you like wine tasting.

studio and WineCaster like this.

6. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Santa Barbara is a loooong drive from Fresno, let alone the Sierras.

WineCaster likes this.

7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    King's Canyon Park is a nice stop . Yes , Death Valley area is worth the trouble if you care to do so . 180 is likely closed , so you would need to go the long way around , not that it is a bad thing . Find a place to check out an earthquake fault . Hollister is one such place where you can find displaced grounds and such . Cities are cities are cities . Drive up to see Mt Saint Helens ..... Nothing says that you must limit yourselves to California . The Columbia River Gorge is beautiful , but they have fires right now . My guess is that you two will likely see very little outside of a hotel room except to eat . ;)

WineCaster likes this.

8. boris bubbanov

It sure is, but my train of thought, 2 weeks of honeymoon, was this:

1) Not too bad to high tail it across from the Sierras (Sequoia National Forest, Upper Kern basin) to Paso. Maybe a day in San Luis Obispo, maybe some time down by Santa Ynez or Montecito. San Ysidro, CA 154.

2) This kind of ride would have minimal I-5 and CA 99 and US 395 and CA 14 and time spent in Victorville and stuff like that. I'm not against miles per se, I just want them to be scenic. And I'm trying to avoid areas with gridlock.

WineCaster likes this.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Congratulations.

Boris has a really good itinerary going. Even though Yosemite is technically central California, it really is better connected to the Bay Area than L.A. As another idea, speaking of romance, nothing beats the City of San Francisco. This would give you the option of going south to Monterey and a world class aquarium or north across the Golden Gate Bridge to Mendocino along the coast. This burns a day of travel from Yosemite, but sea food and fresh sourdough bread on the wharf is about the ultimate in cuisine and ambiance. If you want to see redwoods, you could burn another day from S.F. North to Humboldt for an awesome drive through the coastal redwoods.

Good luck and have fun.

boris bubbanov and WineCaster like this.

10. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    Drive down the coast, Monterey, Big Sur, Morro Bay
    Hearst Castle is a great stop. I would get a room for a few nights in Carmel as well, visit Pebble Beach even if you don't golf, (pro tip: 17 mile drive fee is refunded if you eat at a PB restaurant)
    Congrats and have fun!

11. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2014
    LA Southbay
    If your considering going to San Luis, and Santa Ynez, you might consider Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, and Solvang, all of which are in the general area of these places, and, of course, not far from the Hearst Castle.

boris bubbanov likes this.

12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    My vote is San Francisco.

while there you can have your pick of many sights,
    not all are tourist traps either.

Then you can travel down the coast to Pismo Beach (3hour drive) etc.

I would suggest you try and hit Monterrey and above all else catch some
    bands in SF and Monterey that were alive in the 60's or 70's while you can.

You won't regret the photos of yourselves in beautiful San Francisco.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Au contraire mon frère, they could visit the Rite Aid, and Taco Bell, then go see the one hundred year old house band at Buck's place, sheesh man, and I thought you knew your way around.

rich815 likes this.

14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    We are supposed to have another dry year here in California after the gully washer we had last year. Having said that, the middle of October "can" be a bit late to go to the mountains here. Since you're going to rent a vehicle anyway, maybe consider renting an SUV with all wheel drive just in case. If the weather holds you won't need it but if it does weather up, you'll be glad you have it.

Personally, I would stick to the coast as others have suggested. There's just less to go wrong this time of year, and to boot the weather on the coast should be about as good as it gets this time of year. I've spent so much time in the mountains in California I wouldn't miss it if I never went up there again. The coast is just like you're at home with nice views, in other words probably no surprises, and a good chance you'll enjoy your trip.

As my esteemed colleague of the Bad Dog Boris Bubbanov has stated, not that much to do in Bakersfield or any of the CV towns. They are all small towns with large populations, that's about as good a way to describe them as any. The Crystal Palace "Buck's Place" is something you would incorporate into a business trip, but not something you would plan specifically to go see. It's basically just a bar and grill with a medium sized stage where they do have some good acts come through, but if there is a good band there you'll be packed in there with the other sardines.

15. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    Lake Tahoe

rich815 likes this.

16. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    BTW, Congratulations! If your honeymoon is anything like ours was long ago and far away, it won't matter a whole lot where you go because you'll be busy most of the time anyway!:D

WineCaster, xafinity and Obsessed like this.

17. boris bubbanov

This is the traditional approach, but part of the PCH in Monterrey County is closed and will be closed until sometime in 2018.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

And so a vacationer with limited time basically has to choose either SLO County, Pismo, Cambria, Morro Bay and Heart Castle, or choose Monterrey, Pebble Beach and Carmel and parts of the Big Sur area.

WineCaster and Obsessed like this.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Just in case "WineCaster" has a double meaning, central coast/SLO is Pinot Noir country, Central Valley is white wine country and north of S.F./Napa Valley is your Cab Sav/Zins heavy reds country.

xafinity likes this.

19. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    What’s up with all the road closings and such?

20. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Monster landslides wiped out Hy 1, the coast highway.
    ---------------------------
    Filed under reasons to visit the Central Valley is:
    Bakersfield, California, US
    Piglets compete in the All-Alaskan Pig race during the annual Kern County Fair. Don't ask me about the Alaska designation, maybe Alaska entries? Toto's Dad likely follows big money pig races when he is not golfing, maybe he knows.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.