Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What tints to use?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by boneyguy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    EDIT: I think I've just solved my problem....I've ordered a bottle of ColorTone Vintage Amber tint from StewMac....looks like what I want....but please, feel free to address my question below if you'd like! :)

I'm wanting to tint clear nitro to get that modern Fender dark amber look....something like the pic below. Does anyone know what tints I would use in approximate ratios? I have on hand Amber, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, Raw Umber and Van Dyke Brown. My attempts thus far have not been very good. Using only the amber tint does not work...it's not 'deep' enough, as if it's lacking some deeper brown hues in it.

So does anyone mix their own or is everyone just buying the ReRanch stuff?...which I can't do because I'm in Canada.

1_fender_SRV_strat_stainless_steel_refret_headstock.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I use *very* small amounts of universal tints, and the colors and amounts vary depending on the effect desired. There is no "amber" tint - I use chrome yellow, raw sienna, burnt umber, and very tiny amounts of lamp black and toluidine red.

What material are you tinting and in what quantity? Hardly anyone here seems to tint at all. IMO it takes quite a bit of experience; I was in the paint and coatings business for 35+ years and learned back in the '70's - I trained dozens of painters later on.

Part of the reason few do it is they don;t buy bulk lacquers - plus it's often a losing proposition trying to tint anything smaller than a quart as tiny amounts of some colorants can cause huge changes. The other it cost, first the lost of bulk lacquer - then the cost of rounding up a good selection of tinting colors that are compatible.

Plus most don't finish often - or are even one-timers.

boneyguy likes this.

3. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC
    This just Vintage Amber but it's the Trans Tint brand. I just kept adding until it looked really dark, darker than I thought it needed to be. I think it's also 4 coats.

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

boneyguy likes this.

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Thanks for detailed reply.....I appreciate it. I know colour mixing is a real art and not easy to learn and I suspect the problems you outline are very real. I don't finish often and only mix small amounts.....so I'm happy to order and use the StewMac tint.....I'm sure it will be fine for my purposes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.