Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What tele bridge is the best?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by M_G_W13, Nov 7, 2007.

1. M_G_W13

M_G_W13 NEW MEMBER!

Nov 7, 2007
    Kirkland, WA
    I'm starting to build a tele from "scratch" (I'm ordering all the parts) and I want every thing on it to be the best there is. So far i've got an extra light one-piece swamp ash body and Alan Hamel tele pick-ups. But in the way of tele bridges i'm clueless, i've just heard that stock Fender bridges really kill the tone of the guitar, thoughts?

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    I think there is the "thick bridge" argument and the "thin bridge" argument with the thick bridges emphasizing sustain and the thin ones producing more classic twang. Certainly Callaham and Glendale make superb products, but they do differ in their philosophies. Go read the info on their websites.

3. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    which is "the best"?

what sound are you looking for? what's best for me may not be best for you.

4. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

...Jes a thought offin the top of my head.

0le FUZZY

5. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2003
    Rutherford, NJ
    I'm gonna go with Fuzzy on this one. I think that the vintage Fender bridges kick mucho butt. That's why I have them on two guitars (so far).

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE

+1

7. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Stock bridge... Yup... Tone killed... Stone dead... :eek:

8. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2007
    Northern ON
    Jeez! If only Scotty had a non-fender bridge, maybe he wouldn't have to spend so much time lookin around for notes.

9. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    I have the Wilkingson one with the adjustable barrels. Works fine for me.

10. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I'm with Fuzzy to. The vintage bridge and saddles I have sounds great even if it does take a lot of work to get the intonation right, well mostly right anyway.

11. dibber124

dibber124 Tele-Afflicted

This:[​IMG]
    Stock Fender vintage cheapo

With these:[​IMG]
    Glendale Cutting edge set.
    Best I've ever used, just perfect for me.

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Original Fender bridge got us this far. Can't be but so bad.

13. dibber124

dibber124 Tele-Afflicted

deleted

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    NoVa
    Just Get a 52 RI bridge and sand/file the bottom

That's what I did and it sounds fantastic on my USA-CG one piece alder body. And I used Callaham's compensated stainless steel saddles. Kind of the best of both worlds.

15. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    The $7.99 stock Fender bridge is the best for a twangy sound.

If you think you want more sustain or a thicker sound a Callaham or Glendale will work but you will loose some of the twang on the thicker bridges.

The main thing is to have the bottom of the bridge completly flat. I always use some 400 grit black sandpaper on a known flat surface and sand it so therer are no high spots anywhere thats what causes the feedback.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the most evident common characteristic in common between the Callaham and Glendale bridges. Part of the fun of this stuff is it is packaged like jewelry, especially Dale's stuff.

Tip to all wives and significant others prowling this site. Give a piece of jewelry (Callaham or Glendale) for Christmas, and watch what happens on your next birthday!

Mark, I like your tip, I'll do this on every single less expensive plate I have as each guitar comes up for restring or whatever.

Bubbanov

17. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2003
    Rutherford, NJ
    Sorry to necropost this thread... but, where are you getting the '52RI plate for $7.99? :confused: I can't find 'em.

18. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 20, 2007
    Northwest AZ
    They have 'em for $8.99 here at Musician's Friend, but it looks like they're currently backordered.

I'm not one of the experts here by any stretch, but I'll throw in a +1 on the standard Fender bridge plate. An awful lot of guitarists seemed to get some pretty good tone out of them for a long time before all the aftermarket ones came around.

19. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    Another Fender bridge guy here, love them brass saddles.
    As Fuzzy would say "it don git noe bettern niss"

:cool:

20. sromero

sromero TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2007
    lafayette,la
    i bought this for my first partscaster because i didn't want to drill string-thru holes or more mounting holes. Does anyone make brass saddles for something like this? I did buy graphtec saddles just for the sake of comparison but have not put anything together yet.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.