Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What strings are known for not being bright...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by robert donithan2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    I play jazz and 1950's Chicago style blues and so like the thick, round, mellow tone produced by heavier gauge strings, made of pure nickel.
    The set I use to string up my Telecasters and Gibson iollowbodies is D’Addario's Pure Nickel EPN21. They are gauged .012 - .051 with a wound G. They come in gauges from .009 - .013.

Flatwounds are an obvious choice as well, particularly for jazz. I've tried them from time to time and they never feel quite right under my fingers.

Link below...
    http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=4

Their Nickel Bronze strings sound very nice on my acoustics.
    And BTW, I have no affiliation with D'Addario in any role or capacity.
    I just like their strings.

robert donithan2 and Wyzsard like this.

2. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Falls City
    I love a 3rd wound set of nickels.

howardlo and robert donithan2 like this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The "light" set is 12 gauge and those are considered floppy (on the wound strings). These really are for jazz.

robert donithan2 likes this.

4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I like DR Blues on my ES 335

robert donithan2 and Wyzsard like this.

5. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2017
    bradenton fla
    Dull strings ain't too bright

6. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    Does that mean if I bought pure nickel that the unwound strings wouldn't be pure nickel?

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Unwound strings are all the same, steel.

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I switched from D’Addario nickel wound to Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky. I’ve played D’Addario strings for a long time and I found the Ernie Ball Hybrids are extremely bright. I can compensate with tone and volume but the D’Addario strings are much less bright in my recent experience.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Gotcha, you'd be amazed at many would have things set like that and ask why it's so bright. Strings might make a difference or it could be how the guitar is wired and pot values can also play a role.

10. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    I had new pickups and pots put in my $199 Ibanez gio thinking it would change things but no..i went with the advice of someone here at tdpri..not blaming them..it's also a hobby with tools and experimenting...just cannot believe that three different guitars make that same gainy runaway aftertone...Tried everything...still have a suspicion that humidity or moisture is making the pickups overly sensitive..why I believe this is when I play acoustic on some days I can tell there's a difference in tone (dull lifeless sound)...and the same with a harmonica..spit everywhere some days plays real good on others..strange, but what else is it..I gotta move...lol...

11. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hold on a minute... All three guitars have the same unpleasant gainy tone? That would lead me to look at somewhere else in the signal path. Troubleshooting 101 gets you to check the source (the guitar). You try a different guitar; a known good one and if you still have the same problem, you move down the signal path; check your Effects, if any and then get to the amp.

Have you taken the guitar to a shop and plugged into an amp that has been demonstrated to sound good to your ears?

12. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    Yes the luthier played it through his amp ($199 Ibanez Gio&fender American standard Stratocaster)all three guitars in any configuration(headphones, amp or powered studio monitors) make the unpleasant gainy runaway sort of sound when using distortion or even amp Sims with gain in the presets in my g5n multi effects pedal...and exactly the same unpleasant sound in my VAMP3 multie-effects pedal by behringer...

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    o_O :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    So the unpleasant sound is when they’re played with distortion from a distortion pedal, multi Effects pedal or amp Distortion presets.

That’s a really peculiar problem. I’ve never found dissimilar guitars to share the same tonal characteristics, good or bad. I mean Strats sound like Strats to a degree and Telecasters sound like Telecasters but Strats don’t sound like Ibanez Gio’s or Les Pauls or Telecasters so for them to share the same unpleasant tone, I’m thinking it’s got to be some other common denominator. Unfortunately we’re on opposite sides of the continent and this needs to be troubleshot in person.

What did the pro tell you? I’d be interested in hearing what a luthier thought the problem was.

15. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I'm not surprised nobody's mentioned coated strings lol. But still, have you tried coated strings?

I put on some Black Diamonds a few years back. They definitely took some edge off the highs, and looked kinda cool too. I didn't end up liking the feel, but they might be just the thing in your case.

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    When I'm stuck without replacements, and they've gone dead, got a gig, I'll boil them. It only works on the wound strings. It won't repair the dent damage caused by frets though.

I'd recommend flatwounds or silk and steel for a flattop. For an electric, I usually adjust the bright/dark balance with pickup height and tilt? And a tone knob.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    It'll get the oil off the unwound strings, it's just that the dent damage is not as obvious on the wound strings.

Boiling strings is more popular with bass strings, I think, also because of the cost.

18. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    I’ve done it once or twice when I’ve been desperate. People look at me like I’m some kind of weirdo when I mention it so I’m glad other people do :lol:

radiocaster and robert donithan2 like this.

19. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    The luthier told me to take it to an audio tech (multi effects pedal)..he played and worked on two of the guitars and heard no problem through his amp... but it's not the pedal or the guitars or the amp, headphones or powered monitors..the "tone" I'm talking about isn't what you think, I mean tone to describe the interference or whatever the gainy runaway distortion sound is..that sound or tone is the same on all three different guitars..it sounds about the same plucked open or fretted...like a cheap sound...but like I said i believe it's the moisture or humidity making the pickups overly sensitive from what I've experienced..the harmonica gets really wet from spit and the acoustic guitar gets deadened at times..rainy days, humid days and after dishwasher runs etc.. sounds unbelievable but I've changed everything. ..pickups, pedals configurations, cables..if the thinner most strings are the same no matter if I change out to flat wound or pure nickel, it won't make a difference because the bad sound is there in those strings...I think if I take it somewhere else and play it, that it may prove that theory about the small apartment and moisture thing...I took a rp 355 digitech multi effects pedal to guitar center years ago and played some there and that didn't help though, the bad interference or lousy presets wouldn't go away there, so maybe it is something else..baffling to me...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    1. Have you changed to a lighter gauge string set recently? Just wondering if there's a overtone problem with the nut or bridge saddles.

2. Have you been exposed to any loud noises lately? Had any illness that could impact your hearing? Tinnitus maybe?

3. Has anything been moved around lately in the room where you play? Room acoustics can sometimes do wierd and marvelous things.

4. Make sure there aren't any worn grooves in the nut and saddles too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.