Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What strings are known for not being bright...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by robert donithan2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    [​IMG]

robert donithan2 likes this.

2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Not to blow the OP's mind, but gauge will affect the sound, too, with the the balance of fundamental to overtones...

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Pure nickel...

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Any string soaked in gravy overnight and then installed immediately upon removal from said gravy will sound creamy and smooth. Cream of whatever soup may be used as a gravy substitute if you wish. :p

Robert if you would tell us what you're playing now that seem too bright so we have a reference point to go from it would really help. Otherwise all you're gonna get is the same suggestion you're getting. But let's just say that if you go from nickel wound to pure nickel you're heading in the right direction.

But.....some pure nickels are brighter than others so do you see what I mean?

awasson and robert donithan2 like this.

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    It's also worth noting that besides the tone control, as previously mentioned, pickup and amp settings, not to mention any other gear in the mix, can significantly affect that "creaminess"...

@robert donithan2 You obviously have an idea of a sound you want to achieve, can you point us in the direction of an artist/recording, or some example?

If you're playing the bridge pickup on a Strat with stainless .009's and say you're not sounding like Wes Montgomery, then we have other things to discuss...

6. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    Ernie ball slinky..nickel round wound..9-10&11 guage

7. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    Tried those and about a dozen other troubleshoots..

8. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    What type of music are they for?

9. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    DR Pure Blues

Like many others have said, the pure nickel strings are probably what you are looking for. I always liked these, but my current taste is for a livelier string.

10. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    Ernie ball slinkys..9-10&11 guage..nickel wound...

8barlouie likes this.

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    What kind of music are you playing? You can use them for anything, and if what you're using now is too bright, I'm not sure it would even matter...

If they sounded perfect to you but were called "Klezmer Band Specials", would that stop you from using them to play blues?

12. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    Can they be 10 guage?

13. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    No.. I rolled everything back- forward-separately etc..same with pickup height...wanna try strings next but would rather have someone who knows about taming down strings advise me...

14. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    Yes...I'm using Ernie ball 9-10&11 guage..nickel wound..

15. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    On some rare occasions I've boiled bass strings. Usually late at night trying to track a bass line and the dead strings motivated me to the kitchen...

Smiff and robert donithan2 like this.

16. robert donithan2

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    It's more of a sonic "problem" that I've been asking around about...like a gainy ghost after tone on all strings all gauges all equipment all different configurations..just hadn't paid too much attention to strings..

17. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Best strings I've ever used with single coils.. warm tone

51Ots7KV1HL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Pay no mind to the"acoustic-electric" term on the package. They are pure nickel with a round core.

18. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Robert, going by your profile, is it your Strat you're looking to try warmer strings on ? If so, do you play mostly rhythm ?

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    We are advising you but we can't hear with your ears through your amp playing your guitars.

You seem to want someone to tell you what you should play when all we can really do is tell which types of strings will give a mellower tone because of the material they're made of or the type of outer wrap or certain brands we know to be a little mellower than those EB Slinkys.

Try some of those that have been suggested and decide for yourself what you like. That's all the rest of us ever do.

Smiff likes this.

20. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    See if Ernie Ball do a pure Nickel version of your preferred gauge strings and give them a try would be my advice, maybe shop around for other strings people have suggested in your preferred gauge and you’re bound to get the sound you were after eventually.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.