Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What strings are known for not being bright...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by robert donithan2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Baltimore Maryland
    I believe I have to test the fact that my strings are too bright and need to investigate here as to who believes what strings are smooth, creamy or bright less that the average strings..jazz strings are the closest I've run across in research..pure nickel instead..please include drastically creamy smooth strings..

Danjabellza likes this.
  2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    If you really want less bright, get some flat wounds or ground wounds/half wounds.

3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    What strings are you using now that you feel are "too bright"?

robert donithan2 and Smiff like this.
  4. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Have you tried turning down the tone knob on the guitar?

5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I could send you some of my old strings, I guarantee they're not too bright.

AlbertaGriff, Gibson, awasson and 5 others like this.
  6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Or some nylon tape wounds...

robert donithan2 likes this.
  7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Another vote for flatwounds. If I still played a lot of jazz, and still played my archtop, I'd have it strung up with flatwounds. I really liked the sound of those.

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    You can try nickel wounds. They come in both pure and nickel plated.

9. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Pure Nickels.

Some kind of different winding, like flat wounds others have said.

What strings do you use currently that you find too bright? Maybe posters will be able to help you out more if you tell us.

I rate Fender 150’s at the moment. For me it was about finding a balance between taming the brightness without getting too muddy, and they do that for me. I find they seem to keep their sound longer than other strings too; don’t know if that’s real or in my head though.

Do people still boil old strings? :lol: That seemed to clean them up but left them less bright than new.

rob2, robert donithan2 and soulman969 like this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    On my Strat, I recently went from my go-to strings, D'Addario Nickel Wounds, to D'Addario Pure Nickel. When using the nickel wound strings, I did not love positions 1 and 2. I thought they were too bright. With the pure nickel strings, I play almost exclusively on those positions. In other words, the Pure Nickel strings moved my interest from pickup positions 4 and 5 to pickup positions 1 and 2. The pure nickel are more mellow, not as aggressive. That said, I think I prefer the nickel wounds for rock and blues.

11. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I used a lot of the Fenders (I believe the 150s) in the last year. Looks like they've changed packaging so I'm not 100% sure.

I recently put on D'Addarios after using at least 5 sets of the Fenders in a row. The D'Addarios I used are the EXL120s which are "Nickel Wound". The D'Addarios seem to be ever so tamer on the high e string in a good way for me. I used a set of the NYXLs in the past month or two as well and I want to say they also were brighter than the EXL120s.

9-42 strings in both cases.

All just IMO. My setup can go icepicky for sure with bright strings. The tone knob can tame it but the tone knob affects everything else too. Nothing wrong with experimenting with different strings too.

edit: Can't tell what Fenders I was using. Pure nickel are supposed to be warmer than Nickel coated steel so what I said above can't be right. In any case I like the D'addarios.

12. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Roto's are pretty dull if you ask me.

13. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    That was me too! My Strat bridge pickup isn’t wired to the tone pot and it became a lot more usable when I switched to Pure Nickels.

Ain’t used them in years. Do you still get an extra 1st string with them? That was the only reason I used to use them to be fair.

14. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    yep they give you an extra high e-string which is pretty nice...

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

This!

[​IMG]

Good luck threading a 67 gauge string through most tuner posts, though.

I've used these on archtops and they are mellow without being dull. The fact that the wrapped strings are black with purple silks makes them look very cool.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The knobs are all on 10 and the pickups are almost touching the strings and I can't think of why it sounds so bright syndrome right?

awasson, NMore and robert donithan2 like this.
  17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    The brightness charts in almost every string manufacturer 's site will definitely help you.

Also notice that the plain strings are exactly the same in any kind of string set you buy,the difference is in the wound strings.

18. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Another vote for pure nickel. I never liked them, but they are definitely less bright.

19. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    No matter how mellow the wound strings you newly find are, the plain strings stay bright. I rely on the tone pot for mellower/jazzier tone to keep the balance.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    GHS Nickel Rockers.
    GHS's EJ (Eric Johnson) sets are not real, uh, zippy.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.