Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What String Gauge Do You Use For The Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RockNRollin_Nolan, Sep 11, 2017.

What's Your Favorite String Gauge

1. 9-42

59 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. 9.5-44

19 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. 10-46

142 vote(s)
    51.3%
  4. 11-49

48 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. 12-54

8 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 13-62 (There's no way someone's going to use these on a Tele, right?)

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. javiersson

javiersson TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Madrid, SPAIN
    11 for me, better for jazz but still 'bendable' for other styles.

2. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    Ernie ball 9-46

3. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Didn't know 9.5s existed!! Might have to give them a try!! Been a 10 man for donkeys years because 9s feel a bit light for me but as the years roll on I feel my fingers deserve a little break:)

RockNRollin_Nolan likes this.

4. matrix

matrix TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    What makes 11 better for jazz?

5. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2003
    Oakland, Ca.
    10-46 on Teles and Strats, 11-49 on 335

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    I went to 9.5s after trying a relative's CS Esquire with them on, not as hard on my hands as going up to 10s, but helped me get a better overall setup/action.

I usually use 9s on my Fenders and 10s on my Les Pauls to balance the string tension/scale length to give a similar feel on both guitar types. However I still seem to prefer 9s on my Strat and one of my Les Pauls feels too 'stiff' with 10s on so I might try 9.5s on that next re-string.

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    As a favour i restrung my buddy's mim, corrected his bass side pickup from 3 to 2mm and polished his frets

I think he wouldn't have been happier with £100 for the revelation of 11s. Felt like an upgrade

Owenmoney likes this.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I run 11-48 Power Slinkys on my Tele and Strat. 10s on the longer scale is just way too whimpy. I run 11s on my Gibson SG too... I hate light strings.

9. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Fuller fundamental, less twangy overtones, due to more vibrating string mass. That's why most true jazzers go for larger gauge strings.

El Tele Lobo, matrix and javiersson like this.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That's also why jazzers go for flat wounds. True, not all jazz guitarists use flat wounds, and not all flat wound players are jazz cats, but there is a major correlation.

El Tele Lobo, matrix and javiersson like this.

11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

9.5 - 44 on my Tele, Strat and Les Paul scale guitars; Hamer and Yamaha. Strangely, the tension feels the same on both scale lengths, which is great! It staggers me that Ernie Ball don't offer this in-between set.

Obsessed likes this.

12. guitar0621

guitar0621 TDPRI Member

May 30, 2017
    USA
    D'Addario regular 10s. I also like the Gibson pure nickel reissues, which sound lovely but lack a little bite. Wanted to try a wound 3rd so got the D'Addario Jazz Lights that are 12s. Was too much for my fingers. Really want to try various Curt Mangans.

13. RockNRollin_Nolan

RockNRollin_Nolan TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    I would surely give the 9.5s a try, They're nice.

I know. I'm also surprised Ernie Ball doesn't offer 9.5 sets. That's why I switched over to D'Addario from Ernie Ball. Never looking back. I've never broken a D'Addario string since I switched but have broken plenty Ernie's.

I also really love D'Addario's rewards program. I've gotten a couple of shirts, a drum stick bag and just ordered a D'Addario mug using points I earned for using D'Addario strings. (I'm not sponsored by D'Addario... But if anyone from there is watching, I'd love to be sponsored. :p)

14. ButterScotchPH

ButterScotchPH Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2009
    Netherlands
    Regular d'addario 10s. Dropped D tuning gets d'addario 10-52's.

15. RockNRollin_Nolan

Aug 30, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    Yeah, 9.5s on your Les Paul might get the feel you're looking for. Hopefully it gets you the feel you're looking for! :)

KelvinS1965 likes this.

16. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA

It's a Philly thing ... you know Pat Martino etc. Uesd to keep my action fairly high too. Old age changed my set up.

MarkJT and RockNRollin_Nolan like this.

17. Archsas

Archsas TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2017
    WA
    I used to use .10s, but now I play acoustic (with .12s) most of the time, so .10s feel way too thin. I just stuck some .11s on my Tele, and I'm really liking them. I went for GHS's "true medium" set, because it's slightly heavier than other .11 sets. The feel is much nicer for me, and I'm enjoying the slightly fuller sound, too.

18. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque

19. RockNRollin_Nolan

Aug 30, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    That makes sense. That adds a new perspective for when I hear of people who use 11+ on electrics. Never thought that it could be because they're used to playing acoustic. Thanks for your reply!

7-38!? 9s are too flimsy for me. I can only imagine how weak 8s must feel. But 7s? That's insane! Do you break them often?

20. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    When I played a lot as a kid, it was always with 9's - Ernie Ball super slinky usually. But when I got back into playing over the past year, I started with a couple months of acoustic playing with 12s and then as I started playing electric again, 9's just seemed ridiculously bendy, so I've been using 10s ever since. On teles and now on a strat. I got a new acoustic and have tried various gauges and 11 seems to be the sweet spot - most acoustics sound better with 12s or 13s, but this all mahogany acoustic sounds incredible with 11s and plays great too. Other folks have told me it actually sounds as good with 10s, but I haven't brought myself to try them yet - it just seems wrong to play the same gauge acoustic and electric unless you're playing a big jazz box, which I'm definitely not...

-Ray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.