Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Squier Teles Have the Fattest Necks ?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Wyzsard, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Chunky neck Fenders are pricey. What Squier models have chunky necks ?

2. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    Some of the MIJ Squiers from around '86-'87 had very nice '70s style necks. And there are some chunky MIK Squier necks from the '90s although they also made some medium type necks and some thin ones, so you have to go on a case-by-case basis.

I don't know about the current Squier lineup. I think some of the Jaguar/Jagmaster types have chunkier necks.

3. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I have an 85 Squier and the neck is pretty chunky.

4. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    As far as what's on offer these days, as far as I can tell, the chunkiest Squier necks are the Squier Standards (at least as far as Teles go)--the neck on my Standard Tele is chunkier than a lot of Fender necks currently in production and they are significantly chunkier than the necks on the (otherwise killer) CV Squiers.

Unortunately, at the moment, as far as I know, the Squier Standard Teles only come with a rosewood neck. I pefer maple myself, but I really like the neck on mine.

I know rosewood on a Tele is a deal killer for some people, and I can understand that.

5. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    Every Squier Custom and Custom II I've touched have had wonderful chunky necks.

6. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2004
    Upper Holland, PA
    Those are the two I was going to suggest.

Jim

7. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2008
    Gypsy Caravan
    Yeah, I should have mentioned those. Big oversight on my part. Nice necks (and maple fingerboards!) These are really nice guits...I especially dig the P-90 ones. These particular models aren't given enough credit.

I had a chance to buy one of these that someone had slapped a Bigsby on for $200 last year and passed it up. Still kicking myself...

8. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    I recently measured the neck on my CV Thinline...

It was 1.825 inches at the first fret, and 1.887 at the 12th.

The neck on my Squier Standard seems a little chunkier, but I haven't measured it lately. I don't think the difference is huge though. I can switch back and forth between the two and not notice much of a difference.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

These are not bad but I noticed right away, they're a little slimmer than the Squier 51 necks. Otherwise, I most certainly would have grabbed a couple.

I tended to buy some Squier Standards (actually, the Fat Tele) or the Tele Special and I'd swap necks with some of the Squier 51s I intended to donate to other people, my niece and nephews for example. The Squier 51 necks really gave these Indonesian Teles a more substantial feel. I did that in 8 cases.

[​IMG]

Although since then I've put some even bigger necks on 2 of them. Allparts TMO, TRO FATs.

10. tpaul

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    I suspect - with no real way of proving or disproving this - that the low-end Fenders and the Squier line tend to have thinner necks because they're considered "student" level instruments, and the company figures that beginners will have an easier time with a thinner neck.

I suppose production cost could also be a factor, but really, how much more expensive could it be to make a neck that's 1/8 inch thicker? GFS makes chunky necks on the cheap.

I continue to believe that within a few years, you'll be able to go online and order a Fender or Squier electric guitar with whatever appointments you like - just like you can do with some makes of car.

11. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    i always wanted one that was long and black. I am probably gonna get one later this year right now i am waiting on a thinline

12. tpaul

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    Well, I'm not gonna touch that one. :rolleyes:

13. phoenixash

phoenixash Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2012
    New Zealand
    Well we all would of liked a long black one if we had a choice but I'm happy with mine.
    Anyway I digress some people mentioned the custom and custom 11 so here is a side profile of my custom 11 to hopefully give you an idea. I really love this neck really solid great feel even has some nice flame going on great value.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. brn2run

brn2run TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2013
    SW Ohio
    I was playing some new telecasters in a store last night and as soon as I grabbed the
    neck of a new cabronita to take it off the rack I could feel that is was much fatter than
    the others I played. Not wider, thicker.

15. Peas

Peas Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2013
    Jam Town
    the Squier necks I have tried felt like the same thickness you'd get on a mim standard or american standard. with basic c shape.

I could be wrong but I don't think any do.

16. Ironhide

Ironhide Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2008
    Dublin
    Ìf you're looking for a neck with the Squire decal your best bet is to get a Squier 51 neck off ebay, otherwise you should probably start looking at Fenders

17. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    The VM HSS Tele neck is fairly deep but not wide at the lower frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.