Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what Squier periods are good?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by plymman, Mar 28, 2013.

1. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk
    India strat

I recently sold my 80s USA Strat to help fund the purchase of a Martin 000
    within a week I wished I had sold something else :arrow: (like my wife )
    Yesterday i saw a Squire VM strat in a local shop for a good price so I bought it
    [​IMG]
    Hate to say It but it sounds Better than My US one and the fit and finish is superb ( although as I got it S/H it could have been professionally set up ) So for me the India guitar is the star ;)

2. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Heh, well we are all entitled to an opinion. Here is mine.

Squiers make some good sometimes great guitars "for the money" but I would take any real MIA Fender over a Squier or an Epiphone if money was not the issue. Money IS the main issue for many, others for whatever the reason just can't tell the difference.

Remember, Squier is not some rouge independent company fighting for the little guy, they are owned by Fender corp. to fill the low price point gap to get more potential customers.

I own a few Squier and have one "real" fender Strat (70's) left in the herd, have owned others.
    Yes, and absolutely the playability gap has tightened over the last few decades, that is a fact.

3. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2014
    Massachusetts
    My MIA Telecaster was lacking in mojo and tone, even when I upgraded the pickups next to my Squier CVC. It never got played and I sold it and bought another Squier.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    People have their reasons for paying big money for older guitar and not all are a Fender vs Squier situation either. But demand does drive prices and so they increase due to that and also somewhat due to scarcity.

But that's all about pricing and it has little to do with whether some of those guitars were better built or have great value as a "player". Having lived through and owned Fender guitars from several decades I'd say that assumption is far from true.

5. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Telecasters have always been my main guitar and I own four of them: A battered 1966 Tele that I've owned for nearly 40 years, A 2002 'Phat' Tele, A Telebration USA Cabronita and a 1983 JV Squire Butterscotch. My favourite of all of them is the JV - I've done over 3000 gigs with it to my reckoning although it's been retired recently due to massive fret wear. It has huge sustain and a terrific neck. Although mine has the extra comfort from having been played an awful lot, they were very consistent in quality. I know of three others and there is nowhere near the variation that you would get from USA Teles of that period.

The Story goes that when Fender wanted to produce a cheaper line they send the blueprints and the pickups to the Japanese - who made exactly what was on the plans to a high standard on well maintained lathes and cutting machines etc. Fender's own equipment was not so consistent or well maintained at that time, which accounts for the huge differences between one late 70's/Early 80's guitar and another: although there were some good ones there were a lot of bad ones too. I remember playing through a local company's warehouse stack of Strats before I found one I liked. Anyway, when the Japanese guitars arrived back in the USA it was quickly apparent that they were better than the 'proper' ones. Heads rolled at Fender and they got their act together.

I read that account many years ago in a book about the Fender story and maybe some here can add to it or disagree with it. However, I don't think many people would disagree that the quality of Fender guitars got a lot better after about 1983.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

6. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    .....In 1981/1982 FujiGen obtained the Fender Japan contract which lasted until 1996/1997 and in 1983 FujiGen were producing 14,000 guitars a month with 80% of the guitars being made for export markets and 20% being made for Japanese domestic markets......

They had CNC machines and were at the top of their game.

7. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    1980 ..... Played a couple of these across the years and they were just about the worst Strats I've come across. (hope I'm not offending someone who has one here!)
    [​IMG]

8. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Great looking guitar, I bet they play great :)

All my 70's Strats have played quite simply fantastic. Favorite was a 79-80 natural hard tail. Never have played another that was as good.
    Back in the day when I was buying them, music stores were littered with 60's and early 70's used Strats.

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    squier-talk.com is a good site to research the many varieties of squiers. I picked up two SE models at a pawnshop after doing some research.

10. Lakeabilene

Lakeabilene TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2014
    East Coast
    Fender was owned by CBS and losing money. They blamed it on the cheap Japan guitars that copied the US Fenders. So they went head to head with them by this contract with FujiGen. Then CBS gave up and sold the whole Fender company to the employees in 85--but not the factory. So for about a year all the guitars came from Japan because there was no more US factory. They made some from parts and called them US.

11. o'Romany

o'Romany TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Pinchetel
    Wow, reading through these posts makes me appreciate the far and wide ranging views on any given subject, let alone the relative merits of any one particular guitar!!

I consider myself lucky, as a 21st birthday present, I scored (with mutual consent and cash support from my parents) a 1st run squier JV stratocaster - large Fender logo, small squier logo...

Now, have had many guitars come and go... who hasn't? But the squier strat has seen them all off. I'm currently the owner of an AVRI 72 Thinline, however I'm even thinking of jettisoning this, as the squier just does it all for me.

No one particular guitar is any better than the any other, in the hands of those who love them, only those who decree by judgement of brand will state otherwise!

Love to all x

12. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

May 18, 2015
    Kentucky

13. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast

There is something about the late 1980's to mid-1990's Korean-era necks. I have a VN7 Squier Stratocaster and the neck like the one on my '89 Korean Squier II Strat is "to die for", I find it "thin" and "fast".

xafinity likes this.

14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I have had a 95 Korean strat for 16 years and just picked up a 2008 Indonesian tele, and I love them both. Very well made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.