Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what Squier periods are good?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by plymman, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Maybe in the States but not here...

http://www.haworthguitars.com.au/pr...s-strat-sss-candy-apple-red-rwd-f-0303010509/

http://www.conceptmusic.com.au/products/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Stratocaster-'50s.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fender-J...ments&hash=item3a7fcc971e&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_949

I believe they are as good.

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Those Australian prices are very high compared to here in the USA.. Almost double! Are other guitars this expensive in Australia? Fenders? Gibsons, etc.?

3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Yup they are and we're sick of it, the biggest store near me wanted $750 for a Squier CV SB Tele. I scored a 1999 CIJ SB Tele with Texas Specials for $700 delivered to my door. I don't mind retailers making a profit but they've screwed us here for so long, people aren't putting up with it. Hence there has been some major shifts in the main street.

4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2012
    Pacific Rim USA
    E series Bullet is what I have on my pinecaster, IMO it's a slick neck, nice rolled edges. Feels a lot like the neck on my SQ series Bullet bass, I've always considered that a great neck, feels like a jazz bass but has the attractive tele headstock.

5. all-amped-up

all-amped-up TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I owned a Korean made Strat, KV series (98). The thick, all maple neck was fantastic. I sold it for a profit but If I ever see another Strat or Tele of that vintage, I'm grabbing it.

6. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2011
    Right Coast
    Give your head a "shake". How are the Pickups and Electrics better in a cv than a JV?? I don't think you have ever seen a JV Tele let alone played one.

I have an early Squier JV from 1982 when they were made in Japan... A non Communist Country where they paid fair wages for a Days work. My JV has USA pups and cloth wiring and weighs 7lbs. With a very light poly coating. The neck is phenominal and it plays and sounds amazing. The cv's I have played are anemic in comparison. Weights of up 9lbs and over.. Thick and "Milky" looking Poly finish. Hardware that tarnishes without warning and a Neck pickup that might as well be in the off position.. The cv's are at best an entry level Tele.

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I could be very wrong but I believe the bullets were suppose to be a budget friendly guitar that is actually highly thought of.

8. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2009
    New York
    I have a 1998 MIC Squier Affinity Strat I picked up with a Crate GX-15 a few years back off CL for a grand total of $10. :D

Can't complain even though one of the tuners feels wonky, action a bit high, old strings, and the sound cuts in and out while playing.

9. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Korean, Japanese, Indonesian. Never played Indian.

10. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Brentwood U.K.
    I have a few and they are all good, none have the original pickups but neck and bodies were as good as my American Fenders.
    Silver Series mij Tele if you like toploaders and very chunky necks,Korean E10 Strats (Young Chang) are fantastic, solid body, USA stamped saddles, Gotah tuners, full size block etc, I put pickups of choice in and it honestly is as good as my early 90's USA Strat.

I'd avoid black label Korean Squiers but the gold label ones are great guitars after new tuners,pickups etc, just bought a gold label CN6 Tele for £78 and according to the Squier forum these necks and bodies went on to be used in the Protones so with a few bob spent on tuners and pickups it should be great.

11. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    naperville, il
    I would rank the "good" Squiers as follows:

1) 80s to early 90s MIJ Squiers (especially the JV and SQ series)
    2) Late 90s CIK Pro Tone series (made by Cort in Korea)
    3) Current Classic Vibe series (made in China by Farida/GREE?)
    4) 1990s MIM Squiers (necks and bodies are the same as Fender std series)
    5t) Current Vintage Modified series (made by Cort in Indonesia)
    5t) Squier Master Series briefly made in mid-2000s (made in China)

12. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Texas
    The current CVs are similarly "suprisingly good for the price". Ditto. With just a few small upgrades they play and sound just as good as their Fender American counterparts. I have a modded Affinity Tele that will keep up with any of my higher priced guitars.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

According to this Wiki page, Squiers have been made in:

• Japan
    • Mexico
    • USA (really?)
    • Korea
    • China, including Taiwan
    • Indonesia
    • India

Why not get one from each country? That would be an interesting collection to curate.

14. MiloCroton

MiloCroton Tele-Holic

Nov 5, 2011
    uk
    Ive never played and Indian squier but I have played many indian guitars. They tend to be very inconsistent and they are pretty much 100% handmade with very little professional tooling. Some of the components, particularly plastic moulded pieces can be very rough. But that old fashioned handmade-ness has its charms. They tend to be made of impressive types of wood, and little things like machine heads and ability stay in tune is very good, better than 70's japanese guitars (which I have also tried).

15. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2011
    Right Coast
    I don't have much experience with made in India Guitars. But I do have experience with 70's MIJ Guitars. Some of the early 70's were of questionable quality. But in the mid to late Seventies (the so called "Lawsuit" Years) they got everything together and made outstanding Guitars. Some copies some not.
    Can you post some pics of these "great" Guitars coming out of India?

16. Old Hippie

Old Hippie TDPRI Member

Noobe question?

What's a "JV"?
    What's a "CV"?
    What other letter codes should I know about (relative to Squiers)?

thanks,
    Pete

17. frenchy51

frenchy51 Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2015
    Nor-Cal USA
    JV is Japanese Vintage and CV is Classic Vibe

18. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    Doesn't Junior Brown use a Bullet neck on his main Guitsteel?

19. Dongotto

Dongotto Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Missouri
    I have a late 80's non Japanese strat II that plays and sounds great.

20. Devanatha

Devanatha TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Norway
    I have a Squier Silver Series Stratocaster, bought it in 1992 or 93, just like this one. My first decent guitar. Neck, wood and hardware very nice, pickups decent, electronics kind of crappy. But after some SD Alnico II Pros and new pots, I'd say it is just as good as any of today's midrange Fenders. Back then, I was ashamed of the Squier logo, so I sanded down the neck and headstock and removed the logo, and refinished it in nitrocellulose lacquer. Oh, vanity of youth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.