Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

what Squier periods are good?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by plymman, Mar 28, 2013.

1. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2011
    plymouth uk
    20 odd years ago when I started playing bass I remember Squier being a bit of a laughing stock, they were terrible and I never played a good one.

In the last couple of years I've had VM and CV's, both models are excellent and it got me interested in Squier again. I know the early Japanese JV's are sought after, as are some of the Korean pro tones but what other discontinued Squier's are worth having? Are the later Japanese ones from the early to mid 90's any good? Where and when we're the generally crappy ones made?

Basically which old Squier's are gems and which ones wouldn't you touch with a barge pole?

2. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Squiers were never terrible - but they had good periods (and models) and not so good. The first Squiers from Japan are pretty good, but not as good as they are made out - basically they were of similar quality to current Squiers at a time when most budget guitars were truly awful, which made them stand out at the time and the legend has got kind of inflated from "surprisingly good for a cheap guitar" to "sought after classic" over the years.

The current CVs are similarly "suprisingly good for the price" - and bearing in mind that even cheap guitars now are as good or better than top end Fenders from the 70s, that means they are very good guitars.

Most Squiers, even the worst ones, only ever needed the electronics switching out, a pro set up and new pickups to make them decent. CV's don't even need that (apart from the set up). Early Japanese need new pickups, but the build quality is good.

The supposedly "bad" Squires (those that fall between the mythology of the Japanese ones and the CV) are actually real bargains as they can be picked up for next to nothing and make a perfectly good guitar.

Sandhill69, JayFreddy and Oberhaz like this.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Idk but I have a Squier standard series strat from China 1999 and it just begs to be played. Even the cheap humbuckers sound good clean. Considering I paid less than it costs to buy a cheapo starter pak at guitar center it is great.

ForumRunner_20130328_181415.jpg

4. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2011
    plymouth uk
    That's an interesting point you make about expectations and changing times. People are staring to pay big money for 70's Fender's yet I would bet that most, if not all, of the current mid to upper priced Squier's and Epiphone's would have them beat for build quality, playability and tone.

It's all subjective but expectation and the performance against rivals play a huge part in the perceived value of a guitar, often with little regard to how the thing actually plays and sounds.

I've played a couple of JV Squier's and without a doubt they're good guitars but they're 3 or 4 times the price of a CV but I don't think they match them on performance or build. Having said that I'd still like to pick up a Fender badged JV just for the collectable aspect, they're a nice bit of history in a big transition period for Fender.

5. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

today's are exquisite.

JayFreddy likes this.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

+1 Squier is doing some really good things today. Really imo any squier with a proper setup and some upgrades here and there can all be good players.

I play my squiers 99% of the time when I am playing electric

SQ Serial Squier 70s RI Strat '83
    SQ Serial Squier 70s RI Strat '84
    E Serial Squier Strat w/ System 1
    E Serial Squier Tele
    Mid 90's Squier Strat Standard
    2012 Squier Surfcaster

I pretty much pick up any of the Japanese ones when I come across them. They are fairly rare in my area since there was not a Fender dealer in the area at the time.

7. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    You're right - the CVs are better quality than the early Japanese. I currently have an early Japanese Squier Tele and a JV Fender 57 Reissue Strat, plus a CV Strat, and have played plenty of both.

Early Squire and JV are very well made, but no better made than the CVs. However, I did have a Japanese Squire Tele neck warp once. The pickups and electrics in the CVs are significantly better.

8. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    CV bodies are all Ash/Alder??....Export JV's Strats have AVRI Fullerton pickups...no better than a CV? yeah right :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    lagator likes this.

9. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    +2

10. iheartreverb

iheartreverb Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2012
    Glasgow
    I have a '97 Korean and everyone comments on how nice the neck is. Neck was better than bridge with the pickups.

That aside I wouldn't think twice (if I had the money and needed one) about buying a current CV. Hands down worth the money and no hassle sourcing out older models, probably the best thing you could buy under £500 (new) at the minute.

Lead2Fan and AngelDeville like this.

11. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I've never played a Squire that sucked, but I've played many Fenders that I felt were way over priced. A Squire that feels good and comfortably can be upgraded with better controls and pickups. The Classic Vibe Squire tele I still think is one of the sweetest looking sound and playing guitars I've ever played.

ronzhd and Chicago Matt like this.

12. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I have a 97 Korean with frets so uneven it's only fit for slide. The pickups are fine and the neck is a nice shape and not warped and the whole thing is solid - but I can see where they got the bad rep if there were more with fret jobs like mine. Seriously, it's like they were put in by a blindfolded drunk with a hammer.

I didn't buy it, btw - someone gave it to me.

13. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I remember some 'Made In India' Strats from the 80's or early '90s that were kind of pathetic... but beyond that, I've always liked the Squiers I've laid hands on.

14. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    Mik protone thinline is my new guitar. Only squier I've ever owned an I put it up there with my fenders. Its a 97 an the lead player told me he can't wait till I get tired of it so he can use it. I got it for next to nothing and now am on the look out for any protone I can find.

15. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Don't know - do you own and have played both? I've played JVs since 1984 and I don't care who made the pickups, they aren't very good. CVs I've tried are better. Them's just the facts.

JayFreddy likes this.

16. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    In fact the Strat in my avatar is my old JV 57 reissue Strat. It's a beautiful guitar, but it came with the highest spec pickups ever put into JVs. And they were weak, thin and plinky.

Swapped them out for some SD SSL-1s and it came alive.

I've also had trouble with the stability of the necks on a couple of JVs and early Squiers.

The only thing worse on the CVs seems to be the fret wire, which is too soft. Otherwise - in my experience (which is a lot in this case) they are as well built and have better electronics.

17. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Well, I respect your experience, but possibly your JV was built Sept/Oct '82 and would have had a set of the Japanese domestics (confirmed/documented due to probably a supply issue from USA) or someone swapped the pups. I've heard all sorts of pickups from current to 70's and the red, grey or red bobbin Fullertons are superb. "Like honey dripping from a rock" to quote one of my professional playing mates.
    How much is a CV Strat pickup on ebay....$20? Aren't they Toneriders?
    Fact is and I'm talking facts here CV pups sound thin compared to the JV's, I've heard them. I've also come across plenty of other players who have the best of gear, that their JV is the best Strat they own. If you like CV pups fine that's your choice, I'll mention that to them, so they'll rush out and buy a set.
    By the way check the trem assembly in a CV....puny isn't it. In fact are there any "metal" parts on a CV?
    A JV has a vintage rolled edged neck which I find to be more playable by far, plus the body contour is more defined, it's not going to affect tone but it sure feels nicer in my hands.

lagator likes this.

18. sir humphrey

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    The JVs are great guitars - the neck on my 57 is the best I've ever had. It might be that the ones I've had did have the Japanese pickups (although I understand the 57 reissues had American). Not dissing JVs - the fact that the majority of Strats I've owned are JV or E-series speaks for that. Outstanding value for very well built guitars.

But my experience of CVs is that they are also outstanding value - and can be picked up for a lot less.

Agree the bridge block in the JVs is much more substantial, but its a minor upgrade and for the price of a CV vs a good condition JV I'd say one not to worry about.

Both are very good - but the CV is a lot cheaper.

19. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    naperville, il
    From my personal experience with Squiers, I would rank quality in the following order:

1) MIJ JV/SQ series from the early 80s
    2t) CIK Pro Tone series from the late 90s
    2t) MIJ mid-80s to silver series
    4) CIC CV series currently made
    5) MIM Squiers from the mid-90s
    6t) CII VM series currently made
    6t) CIC Master series from mid-2000s

IMO, all of the above are quality, giggable guitars.

My current Squiers include the following: 1983 SQ Telecaster, 1997 Pro Tone Thinline, 2010 CV Thinline, 2004 Thinline HH, and 2007 MIM Telecaster. I've also previously owned an SQ Strat, Pro Tone strat, and CV 50s telecaster.

20. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2012
    Pacific Rim USA
    Where do 80's E series Squire Bullet necks fit into the picture? Close to the quality of JV's and SQ's?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.