Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What should I pair with my Celestion Alnico Blue?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Royal Tele, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    I'm going to build myself a 2x12 cabinet for my AC15. I'm putting the Celestion Alnico Blue inside the 2x12 cabinet, but I want to pair it with something different for the second speaker. I'm already well versed when it comes to wiring it all up, series vs parallel, matching ohms, all that stuff. So my question is more about tonality... I've seen a lot of cabinet makers pair a Celestion Blue with a Celestion G12H Anniversary (pairing the alnico with a ceramic). I kinda like that idea. Is that a good way to go? The other thing I'm wondering about is how to properly pair my Alnico Blue with an equally (or similarly) efficient speaker... That alnico blue is very "efficient" (loud), and I don't want it to drown out the other speaker I pair it with. Any thoughts would be helpful!

2. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    I have an ac15c2 ( 2x12 combo). I recently pulled out one of the greenbacks and put in a Celestion Anico blue. I call it my Yellow combo ( green/blue). Sounds great! nice combo of chime and grit. Just my 2 cents on the question.

3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Is it a Chinese Vox Blue or an English Celestion Blue?

Either way: I vote for a Celestion Gold if you can swing the cash. Otherwise a 70th anniversary G12H would be good, or the stock greenback.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I would put on low watt ceramic. Like Chinese greenie or wgs or emi or Weber copy

5. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    i play my ac15 through a 2x12.. blue and g12h30... i love it

6. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I really like the WGS Green Beret... but I've always loved that greenback tone. I had an alnico blue clone + eminence greenback clone in my 2x12 for a while, but after miking each speaker and listening to each separately, decided I preferred the pure greenback tone, so I replaced the blue clone with a WGS green beret, still use it.

7. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    I assume it's a Chinese Vox Blue, because it's the blue that came in the amp (AC15C1X)... I don't wanna go the Celestion Gold route, because I think that would be too similar to the tone of the Alnico Blue that I already have in it... I like the idea of putting a ceramic magnet speaker in there so I can mix two distinctive tones...

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I've run my Celestion Blue paired with both a G12M20 and a G12H30 Heritage, and I would prefer the 30 if i had to take one or the other, mostly because the efficiency is closer and the 30 fills in the bass nicely without adding too much mud to the clarity of the Blue. The G12H30 Anniversary is different though, not the 55hz so wouldn't add low end, can't comment on the sound.

Overall while you can get good sounds pairing a Blue with almost anything because you mostly hear the Blue, I think it's a harder speaker to pair with other "classic vintage" type speakers, because it's twice as loud as most of them.
    I'd take a shot at an Eminence with similar efficiency rating and hope for the best.
    The Emi GB128 would be a good start, basically a more efficient and less muddy Greenback.

9. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Is there a way for me to specifically compare the speakers' efficiency rating? How can I find out what the Alnico Blue's efficiency rating is, and then compare it to some Eminence speakers...?

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Most manufacturers have published data sheets for their speakers, in particular Eminence does. You have to search around on google for them most of the time.

Only issue is there is no standard for measurement.

Thus why weber doesn't offer efficiency numbers anymore.

11. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    H30 is the recipe Celestion recommends to pair with the Blue.

For my own taste, I think these celestions, (especially the Blue & H30) are too bright. Annoyingly so (again, my taste)

My favourite is the Greenback (& family), alas, it's way less efficient than the Blue & could not really be paired with it

EXCEPT, if you feel adventurous enough to pair an 8 ohm Greenback with a 16 ohms Blue OR a 4ohms GB with a 8ohms Blue - & run them at 4 ohms (total parallel from amp - slight mismatch of around 1 to 2 ohms don't think it matters)

They would be equalised then, volume-wise

RLee77 likes this.

12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Greenback.
    Woodier and darker. Nice balance with the Blue

13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Pretty much what I determined for my own taste. Of course, highly subjective, everyone needs to do their own experimentation.

14. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    You probably want the Avatar Hellatone 30, which is a broken-in, relabeled Celestion G12H30 but less expensive. I have a Blue and Hellatone 30 in my 2x12 it's a beautiful combo. Eficiency is pretty much equal around 100db.

Salsg likes this.

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA

16. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I would pair it with a Celestion Alnico Cream. Amazing speaker and sounds great with the blue.

17. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Firstly:
    LOL

Secondly:

I might disagree with the Greenback w/the Blue. I say that in the context of using a tube amp in the range that is in the range of the Alnico compression. If you want smoothy creamy up loud, then sure. I have a Greenback and never tried it with the Blue in all honesty. But I have no reason to un-pair it from the G12H-30 it has lived with since I got them. I have tried each solo FWIW.

I have a Tweed Classic 50 212 Peavey with a Blue and G12H-30 and agree totally with the above assertion/opinion. I pulled 1/2 the power tubes out to maybe put some less watts into the speaker being it is only 15 watt and spen-sive. It is still just as loud, can't tell a difference. And besides, I only had two 1968 6bq5 with little hours. Let me tell you, this combo set up as such is worth the weight if you have a place it can breath. Not that I even play anymore.

I also think a 12/10" combo with a speaker such as a 10F150T Weber would also do a very similar thing with a Blue.

I have used the Blue solo, but prefer my Red Fang alone in spades. it kind of barks more alone like the Blue does with some Ferrite accompaniment, if you get my drift.

It of course is all good when talking about the speakers mentioned IMO. And also depends on what you want to hear and feel. To me too creamy/compressed is like too much sag, I personally like some faster response. Pick your poison I guess.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I've got Blue and G12M greenback myself. Blue alone is too bright, especially with a bright circuit like my 18w. Need the extra push in the middle and bottom end.

19. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I want to ask what too bright is. ;) But really only quoted you to illustrate the beauty is going to be in the ear of the beholder.

I always wonder if I hear the same thing some else does with different gear. ;) Most in earshot are not going to know either way as long as you sound good I suppose. Unless it is someone like us in the thread that ask such questions and has such opinions.

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I might add that I had an AC15. I plugged the AC15 into the Classic 50 212 speakers [Blue/G12H-30] for my ears sake. I can't say I recall it other than to say I tried it to hear how it might sound. I also pulled the Blue out and put it in the ac15 cab, and then tried the Red Fang in it. The Red Fang stayed in it until I sold it putting the original speaker back in or the sale. I thought it could not sound better to my ear and response to my fingers. I will never sell the Red Fang. It is in a 5E3 Pine cab that never got a chassis, and I mostly use my Path Finder 15R as a little head with it. And would take that to go play out if I was to actually do it. Leaving the Classic 50 and 63 Brown Pro at home. I can not bear the thought of selling those, my kids will get them.

Not sure how useful any of that is, other than illustrating what I have experienced first ear. ;) Again, what my ear hears and what others do has got to be fairly subjective conversation at a minimum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.