Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What preamp tubes do you use in Fender Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, Aug 29, 2016.

1. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Spock: "Most illogical. Posting a chart does not imply an action, Jim."

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You can spare the sarcasm. You posted a chart with no explanation, which could be misleading, especially to the majority who don't understand the current draw issue. Thanks to the professor for posting a link that is VERY important reading if the subject is not already clearly understood.

4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    SFDR V1 -GE12AX7, V2 nothing on the bottle suspect a GE12AX7 as looks plate wise
    sameas V1. I didn't look at V3. Amp sounds fine.
    Tubes have been in amp long time.

'63 Deluxe V1 12AX7 Westinghouse England, V2 12Ax7 Westinghouse Sovtec V3 12Ax7
    Westinghouse England. The Englands have larger plate structure than the Sovtec. Amp
    sounds fine but will probably swap out power tubes soon. Tubes have been in amp long
    time.

5. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks! I have a GE 12AX7 long grey plate coming this week, and I look forward to trying it out in v 1 and v 2.

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    In my BF amp, I'm running GE 12AX7 and Philips 12AT7 tubes except for the tremolo tube. I just stick a tested JJ in there and call it good (as long as the trem works). I've A/B tested new tubes against NOS, and to my ears the difference is worth it. Preamp tubes should have a very long life compared to power tubes, too. One thing I did find is 2 new JJ 12AT7 tubes hummed in V3, while the Philips was dead quiet.

The tweed Deluxe has a GE JAN 6072A in V1, and a JJ in V2. Power tubes are the newer EH 6V6GT tubes, and they're sounding quite nice.

7. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks for pitching in! Very helpful.

8. mthack2017

mthack2017 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 21, 2017
    Newmarket Ontario Canada

I'm new here - hello everyone!

I just found these. Are they the coveted Telefunken ECC83'S? They're old. got from a friend 20+ years ago. I have one in V2 in a DRRI with the C12K and so far the tube seems to have taken away the shrill.

Attached Files:

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    My point re "good" used /"pull" tubes (and "functioning in spec" is a decent alternative description) and those bought from most small outfits is that it's very hard to tell any of them ARE good.

Large, well-known tube sellers have the equipment to properly test them. But the average eBay and other small-source seller is using a typical Hickok tester. Those don't test with plate voltages near those found in guitar amps (and all testers have to be calibrated - an expensive process rarely done).

So unless users are guessing at operation based on "amp sound" there's no way to know a tube is "within spec" unless purchased from a reputable source with expensive testing equipment - and fair, but high prices.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Yeah I just take a wild guess based on over 20 years of tube swapping and listening.
    I do not sell tubes I yanked out of grandma's organ, I keep those for myself.

11. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I like the Ruby High Grade.

12. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    I use a GE 6072a short black plate in v1 and a sylvania blackplate in v2. Nice warm tone.... But to me the biggest difference was installing unmatched output tubes.

asnarski likes this.

13. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    NOS GE, RCA, and Sylvanias in my 5E3, SFSR, and SFVC, except I prefer NOS Mullards (4004 and 40240 in my SFDR. I've also tried reissue TungSol 12AX7's in my PRRI and think they sound pretty close to aforementioned NOS preamps in that particular amp. I have tried, but don't care for, JJ's.......many seem to like them tho....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.