Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What power supply should I get?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SonicDiveBomb, Sep 25, 2017.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    I’ve been using a one spot forever... it finally gave out so I figured I’d upgrade to something not noisy...

So here’s my signal chain.

Guitar-> Zvex Mastotron- DOD440- EHX Small Stone- Boss TU-3- Zvex sonar- Digitech Whammy- Boss SD1- Marshall Shredmaster- Ernie Ball VP- EHX Freeze- Boss Space echo Re-20-> amp

So all of those pedals are 9v except for the 12v whammy... what is my best bet for a power supply? I was thinking Voodoo Lab ?

2. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Does anyone know if the power plus 2 comes with the correct wire to fit a Digitech Whammy V4?

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I don't think I would abandon the 1-Spot for something less noisy, considering the 1-Spot is so dependable and you're likely to still experience noise on an "upgrade." Pedals can be inherently noisy based on just the chain.

For the odd man out pedal, the 12v, I would use a separate isolated power supply anyway. They're so small and damn cheap enough, why bother for a "1-plug" solution for all your pedals?

4. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    The Voodoo PP2 has 12 volt capability on a couple of its outputs. You just have to flip a dip switch located on the underside of the PP2.

I don't know what cable the Whammy uses for power but Voodoo Labs sells a variety of cables with positive or negative centers and different tips. I would think they could give you what you need. Call them.

BTW, I think it's a smart decision to get a quality power supply like the PP2. Super dependable. Buy it and you're done messing with power concerns forever.

5. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Used to think it wasn't so important, but since a recent move to a place with what i asume is bad power, I have become a big fan og isolated power supply's.
    Really made a big difference in both noise and tone to have everything hooked up with galvanic isolation, so I would go for an isolated psu.

Regards,

Lars

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    One Spot CS12. Has the 9vAC 800ma needed for Whammy. And a lot more options and future proof than PP2+, you would have to use AC pass through with whammy included adapter on PP2 to get AC power whammy needs.

Here's a used one with 2 of the 18-9v step down cables to n case you need them. Their $15 a piece on their own.

https://reverb.com/item/6396329-truetone-cs12

Paul in Colorado likes this.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Did you count the Ma you need? Then look.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm using a One Spot CS-7 that I'm real happy with. If you have more pedals then try the CD-12.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.