What pickups is in your tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by aequitas, Jan 16, 2018.

1. aequitas

aequitas TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a new pickups for my tele. It have alder body and a maple/rosewood neck.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about tele pickups since it's my first tele and I need some idea.

I have try Antiquity 2 and Twisted tele but it's still not what I want. I like antiquity 2 but it can be too dark and while I like twisted tele, I want it to be more tele sounding.

There is a lot of recommendation online but I just want to know what is a "go to" pickups for tele these days and what did you ultimately keep in your tele.

Thanks!

2. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I have Bill Lawrence, (Wilde), "Keystones", however, if I'm in your shoes I would probably go with Bill Lawrence "Micro-coils".
    I also hear great things about Caviler Pick Ups.

Sollipsist, eallen, Dave and 3 others like this.
  3. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

that's kind of like asking any joe on the street what their favorite color is. :)

i have four teles, and all of them have different (bridge) pickups. some have the same neck pickup, but it all varies. i try to match pickups to eras, but even then, it gets hazy.

the two that i want '50s sounding pickups in have 1) a fender '51 nocaster picklup and 2) a cavalier nashville lion. the two that i want more of a '60s flavor from have 1) a zhangbucker chimecaster, and 2) cavalier bakersfield.

i won't get into the neck pickups, other than to say that two of them have cavalier lion kings (great tele neck pickups).

i think i may go another route for a '50s bridge (in lieu of the nashville). i am debating another cavalier: either the 51/52, or his version of the nocaster. i'm on the fence. everyone's idea of "twang" is different. i have a particular sound in mind, i just need the right pickup to match it.

happy hunting!

ps...forget the woods. consider the things that really matter, in relation to amplified tone. and factor in your amp, equally, if not more.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    aequitas and Tim S like this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Tonerider Alnico 111Hot Classic bridge pickups.

The body on that guitar is Alder and it sings with warmth with A111 Hot Classics.

I have another partscaster, Fender neck,rosewood board and it too has Hot classics in it but a wire snapped in the windings and I replaced it with a Dan Armstrong Alnico5.

Also built a partscaster with Alnico 5 Vintage Toneriders and it has more twang than I can describe.
    Also a Blackie Stratocaster I built with Tonerider
    p/ups. They all sound good and are not expensive.
    I have been using them since being introduced to them in 2008 in Singapore by Kelvin Ho- a leading luthier in that city, he's located in the basement of the Peninsula Excelsior Hotel opposite St. Andrew's Cathedral. Colman St.
    ( No Commercial interests in Tonerider pickups- just a big fan of them).

BB and jjlemon like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

After playing a Baja, I put the Twisted tele/Broadcaster combo into my MIM FSR BSB RC. I'm done.

6. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Fralin stock set. Does it all for me.

trahx and 985plowboy like this.
  7. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I have several teles with Cavalier pickups. Nashville lion, 51/52 lion, Nocaster lion. All are great. Just depends on what you are looking for. His neck pickups are great too. Go to Rob's website and read the descriptions. They are very accurate. He also has many videos so you can hear them in action.
    dmoss74, what did you pair the Bakersfield with? I really want to try that one.

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Whatever are fitted to MIJ '70s reissue Tele's made in the last couple of years. They sound fine to me but I suspect they're nothing too exotic.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have different pickups in the various Teles I own but in the Alder body model with a rosewood board like yours I have a set of Bill Lawrence/Wilde Keystones which are my favorite single coil set. The Micro-Coils also mentioned would be another good choice as would any of Rob DiStefano's Cavaliers. These are all sub $100 sets.

If you plan on spending more there are many others from other very well known winders like Fralin, Lollar, Onamac, and others but I would not necessarily put them above any of Bill Lawrence's pickups or Rob's Cavaliers as far as tonal quality and value goes. But in the end it's what your ears tell you that counts. Buy what you like.

Dave, El Tele Lobo and songtalk like this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Duplicated post

11. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

I've got a set of Don Mare Hot Bakelites. Great pickups they can do jazz, blues, rock, and country. No ice pick shrillness either.

If you're not sure contact Don Mare or Rob DiStefano (Cavalier) they will point you in the right direction.

El Tele Lobo and John Owen like this.
  12. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

On my most played guitars:

Alder/Maple/Rosewood => Voodoo TE-50 FAT + TE Long Neck
    Mahogany/Maple/Rosewood => ThroBak ER Custom PAF Set

13. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I have the Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge, and really like it.

Made a comparsion video when I did the swap from a Tonerider Alnico2 Blues.

Tommyd55 and Mincer like this.
  14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For a good, clean 50s sound, I like my Fred Stuart Blackguard set. Alnico 3 magnets. Don Mare Bakersfield would fill the bill, too.

For the perfect 60s sound, the Fender AV64 set. They don't come any better than this.

swany likes this.
  15. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

In a light ash telecaster,

Analog Man Jim Weider Big-T Tele neck
    Seymour Duncan Alnico II Tele bridge

16. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Love the fender nocasters in my 52’, and Lollar vintage set.

ce24 likes this.
  17. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

So my FSR MIM Tele came with ceramic pickups, they weren't so bad.

I went with Fender 1962 Reissue's and what a difference. Thick tones, could play metal if I wanted.

I love the guitar much more now. Plus for about $100 for both it was very affordable.

Mine is an alder body with high gloss maple neck.

18. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

lion king.

El Tele Lobo and gobi_grey like this.
  19. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

My go to Tele pickups are a Jerry Donahue bridge...and a Seth Lover neck. I tend to spend a lot of time on the neck pickup, so a really amazing humbucker there makes sense for me.

20. morky

morky Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.