Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What pickups for a baritone?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by cacibi, Aug 16, 2007.

1. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Sep 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Any special pickup considerations for building a baritone? I'm was thinking I might like something in the way of a standard tele pup in the bridge to still get the twang and tic-tac, but maybe something other than a tele neck for chord work - like a Filtertron or P-90.

Also am thinking of putting a Bigsby on this one....wanting to get low, big 'verb craziness.

2. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

Now that you mention it, there really are no baritone pickups (are there? haven't seen any). I like the idea of a tele bridge pup though... low twangy stuff would sound nice. If you're doing clean mellow chord work, I'd suggest the GFS lipstick pup for the neck. Though they are pretty low-output, and work best when clean, they can give you some beautiful sounds. On the other hand, a P-90 would be awesome (low growl). Good luck on your build, a baritone is pretty high up on my "wanted instruments" list!

3. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Sep 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Exactly - so it sort of started me thinking, it almost seems like you would want to err on the side of treble. That is, anything that tends to sound muddy on a standard scale doesn't seem like it would fit the bill for a bari.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2006
    The Queens
    This is an interesting thread! I'm interested in seeing others responses to the question posed here.

I'm waitin' on a bari neck for a body I have with Seymour Quarter pounders in it. These pups are HOT so it should be an interesting combo with a bari neck!

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    i have dimarzio virtual vintage pro and solo pro strat pups in my quasi baritone and they are very clear and twangy.

rand z tropicalsoul.net

7. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    For twangy tic tac/6SB tones, the clankier the pickup, the better. I know it's kind of counter-intuitive, but fat sounding pickups that may sound terrific on a regular Tele may be too warm and woolly for a 6SB.

8. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    Exactly, what sounds "thick" on a tele, sounds like "mud" on a bari or Bass VI.

You want thin sounding PU's for a bari, it gives it definition. The bari has enough bass on it's own without having something emphasize it even further.

Johnny

9. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

A tele bridge pickup would probably be awesome... mmm low twang.

10. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    Remember another trick for the bari is to turn the bass knob on your amp DOWN all the way, and me personally like to turn the reverb UP. :D

Johnny

11. Montana_Dawg

Montana_Dawg Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2004
    Washington
    I use standard G&L MFD pickups on my Tele baritone. They give a nice twangy tone that I really dig.

12. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    Sorry for the brief hijack, but are there considerations for a bigsby on a baritone?

13. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    Yes there are Bigsby considerations. The biggest concern is string clearance - can the strings fit under the roller bar? This is more of a concern with flat top instruments w/ B5 bigsbys

14. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

My baritone is a Strat w/wiggle stick. It's very cool.

15. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Niner Country
    Lipsticks. There's a reason Danos sound so cool.

16. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    would something like bill lawrence keystones work out well in a baritone?

17. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Digging up older threads......

Fezz,

Do you have pictures? Any tuning issues? What size strings are you using? And what is your scale length and do you tune to B or A?

Thanks!

18. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

No tuning or intonation issues with the Warmoth conversion neck. I use 74-14's. Tune to either B or A. Here's a pic of it in the middle. I have since switched bodies. The 3TSB now has the rosewood neck, and the oly white has the baritone neck:

[​IMG]

19. PhatTele

PhatTele Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2003
    Richmond, VA
    I asked Lindy Fralin about this when I was building a Baritone hardtail Strat. His comment was "the cleaner the better." So, anything in the 5K-to-mid 6K range would probably be your best bet. That's probably why the lipstick PUs sound good in there. I'd bet that Mustang PUs would sound good too.

BTW - The Strat turned out great with underwound Fralin Vintage Hots (his lowest output model).

20. ironweed

ironweed Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2003
    mid-missouri
    I just finished assembling a baritone Tele from TDPRI garage sale parts. Pickups are GFS, bridge was 60's overwound and neck was a fender-style humbucker (description, not exact names). Sounded pretty muddy with 250K or 500K pots, to the point where I didn't enjoy playing it. But, I just installed 1 meg vol & tone pots, and now it's got all the twang I can use. Also, the neck humbucker still sounds very nice for jazzy chord melody with the tone control rolled off a bit.

21. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
    Update?

What pickups did you end up with?

Anyone want to continue this with some of their Baritone pickup experiences? I'm trying to make the same decision myself. I'm not wanting super clunky twang, I don't mind a big sound but I don't want any mud!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.