Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What pickups are these?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Georgia Boy, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Georgia
    I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what pickups these are. They're off of a non-branded tele-style guitar body. IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0386.JPG IMG_0387.JPG IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0386.JPG

acrylicsuperman likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Blue Bill, CFFF and 2blue2 like this.
  3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
  4. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Thanks. I was actually just looking for tele pickups with adjustable pole pieces a couple days ago. If this post had shown up 3 days ago, I wouldn't have had a clue. Haha

5. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    That neck pu looks like a Mexican twisted tele.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, that would be my guess too, a Twisted Tele neck pickup.

7. acrylicsuperman

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Yep, good catch. Mfd bridge, twisted tele neck.

8. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks. Where should these fall on the "twang-scale?" I'm waiting on a neck to go on this body and have no idea what to expect as far as sound character, and no way to test until I have a neck on this body.

My problem is the timeframe-- this is a Christmas gift for my daughter. She has a dozen or so nice guitars, but this is her first Tele. The goal is something of a one-trick-pony that just does country well as looks the part (it will be a red, white, and blue Buck Owens tribute, though it will mostly play more modern country.)

If these should have a nice twangy country character, I'll try to wait and see how they sound. If these aren't really suitable for that application, I'll go ahead and try to scout other pickups while I wait on the neck to show up.

9. acrylicsuperman

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    The twisted tele neck pickup is meant to emulate a strat pickup, which is a pretty common mod among tele players who don't get along with a tele neck pickup.

The MFD's are a beast of their own. G&L are a company that was founder by Leo Fender and George Fullerton after Leo sold Fender to CBS. I would consider the MFD to be the updated telecaster pickup design from the person who started it all. It has the tele characteristics, but the magnetic field is pretty strong and wide. The pole pieces are adjustable which is a plus. Can you get tele tones out of it? Absolutely. But if your idea of tele tone is 50's/60's era tele, both may not fit the category. The MFD will have more output, more bass and more treble, but none of the ice pick and they are more quiet than a typical single coil. If I had to describe it, i'd call it high fidelity.

If you have the means, I'd try them in something and see what you think. Worst case scenario, youtube them. They may or not be you or your daughters thing. Both are great pickups though and if you don't use them for this build, I'd store them away and use them in something else.

They'll do country fine. They just aren't what you would consider traditional.

10. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Georgia
    That's very helpful, thanks-- if I can get the neck here and onto the Tele body soon enough, I may be able to give these a test-drive before I decide to order something else. Otherwise it will indeed come down to a youtube "audition." The goal is a Christmas surprise, so I don't have a ton of time to explore and play.

My guess is these go into the giant stack of parts for a future project. We already have several flavors of Strats-- I am indeed thinking more traditional 50's/60's Tele sound for this project.

11. acrylicsuperman

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Here is a comparison video. The guy likes to talk though. He was able to get into that tele territory with the bridge pickup lowered. Always better with your own ears, but it will at least give you some kind of idea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.